*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,411 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those throwing Crane under the bus don't seem to realize that MLB came close to taking away the title.
Besides there are probably 10 analytics guys who know how to find talent better than Luhnow already working with the Astros. It's not like the boss is doing the player analytics.
The true loss is the draft picks, everything else is an obstacle that can be addressed with smart thinking.
03_Aggie
So this is all tied to 2017? Didn't the Red Sox get busted in 2017 with Apple watches? What was their punishment? Was such a thorough review done on them at that time?

My concern is the ripple effect of lunhow and hinch as it relates to the players. If they don't agree with cranes move I could see some with no intention of resigning and playing for an owner that didn't back those guys.

Beat40
the last of the bohemians said:

Besides there are probably 10 analytics guys who know how to find talent better than Luhnow already working with the Astros. It's not like the boss is doing the player analytics.
The true loss is the draft picks, everything else is an obstacle that can be addressed with smart thinking.

Doing analytics doesn't mean you can manage it. He managed a lot of stuff. Don't underestimate the difficulty of managing.

Lots of guys can do the work, but aren't effective managers. Lots of GMs who have been successful in all areas of their career but can manage the whole thing when they get to that position. Managing and sound decision making separate you from the very talented.
03_Aggie

We will see I guess. My thought is if it was that easy then there would be a lot more parody in the league as all teams would be using it.
Thanks captain obvious.
Had no idea some managers are better than others.
Deluxe
AG

Those throwing Crane under the bus don't seem to realize that MLB came close to taking away the title.

I've seen this rumor a few places. Do you know where it's sourced?
Beat40
03_Aggie said:

So this is all tied to 2017? Didn't the Red Sox get busted in 2017 with Apple watches? What was their punishment? Was such a thorough review done on them at that time?

My concern is the ripple effect of lunhow and hinch as it relates to the players. If they don't agree with cranes move I could see some with no intention of resigning and playing for an owner that didn't back those guys.

My question to them is what did they think was going to happen when they implemented the scheme, then told every detail that led to their manager and GM getting 1 yr suspensions, loss of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for two years, and a $5M fine?

I know the stereotype is athletes are dumb, but they aren't that dumb.
Bregxit
AG

I keep seeing this comment about taking away the title. Is there evidence out there that this was even a consideration or is it just some BS fan comment?
JCA1
AG
03_Aggie said:

We will see I guess. My thought is if it was that easy then there would be a lot more parody in the league as all teams would be using it.

Best Freudian slip ever.
JDUB08AG
AG
Is Strom expected to remain in staff? Honestly, he's the one I'm most worried about right now.
03_Aggie
Deluxe said:

I've seen this rumor a few places. Do you know where it's sourced?

I don't buy it. MLB would've taken care of lunhow and hinch if they thought it truly influenced the WS win.
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

03_Aggie said:

My question to them is what did they think was going to happen when they implemented the scheme, then told every detail that led to their manager and GM getting 1 yr suspensions, loss of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for two years, and a $5M fine?

I know the stereotype is athletes are dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

I'm guessing they didn't figure Crane would fire them.
aTm2004
AG
03_Aggie said:

I have zero proof, but I feel MLB backed Crane into a corner to where he had to in order to keep the title or to keep players from being punished. I'm sure the players are angry, but I imagine Crane will have a meeting with them and tell them everything.
Beat40

Thanks captain obvious.
Had no idea some managers are better than others.

Calling me Capitan obvious? You're the one asserting his loss isn't a big deal based on analytic guys finding players.

How many successful, I meant championship level successful, GMs are out there in all of sports?
Don't get worked up, my bad.
Point is the Astros system is no longer a secret. Too many lower level guys have had to go in and out of organization by now
AggiEE
JCA1 said:

Based on what the league could actually establish, the penalties seem excessive to me. No indication Luhnow even knew what was going on. Hinch knew and did not approve but didn't do enough to stop it or report it to his superiors. I get that but, man, he was in a tough spot. Middle of a World Series run and basically he had to tell on his players. Guaranteed way to lose the locker room.

Don't like the firings but, right or wrong, they lost their boss $5 mill plus the PR black eye and loss of draft picks. Most lose their jobs when they do that to their employer.

This is what upsets me the most. I don't blame Crane, necessarily. He reacted to the MLB suspension.

I can understand letting Hinch be the sacrificial lamb because he was aware but didnt do enough to stop it, but getting Lunhow suspended despite zero evidence of knowledge seems extremely unjustified to me.

Had he not been suspended he wouldn't have been fired
Ag_07
AG
You're talking to the bag of rocks that thought Hinch should've been canned after the GM 7 loss.
Beat40

Point is the Astros system is no longer a secret. Too many lower level guys have had to go in and out of organization by now

I'm a sorry, didn't mean to escalate.

I just think Lunhow was a special GM with vision to make all of that work together.

Guess we're finding out whether we like it or not.
Pahdz
I find it incredibly hard to believe Lunhow had no idea.
DrZ
AG
This is the equivalent of steroid era managers getting suspended when the players fail drug test. Crane made a deal with MLB. Don't suspend the players, who the report said were responsible, and I will fire these guys. Players already know about it. Told to keep quiet or they will get suspended too.
Ag_07
AG
Pahdz said:

Especially if Hinch had already physically destroyed two monitors.

Did he just think the most even keeled guy in the organization randomly took his frustrations out two different times or never thought to ask 'Hey what happened down here?'
agdaddy04
AG

If that's the case then why has he been so far ahead of everyone?
Bregxit
AG
DrZ said:

This is the equivalent of steroid era managers getting suspended when the players fail drug test. Crane made a deal with MLB. Don't suspend the players, who the report said were responsible, and I will fire these guys. Players already know about it. Told to keep quiet or they will get suspended too.

I have a feeling after 2021 only Altuve, Bregman and Gurriel will be left from the core players.
Nino Brown
Once again just like everything else in this country, it's about money. Up to 8 teams involved but the GM and managers will take the fall. They don't have jerseys to sell anyone. Like I said before, I highly doubt JL had zero knowledge, but he will play the game to make sure he is able to get another job down the road.

My only question is were the managers and GM's held accountable during the PED era?
W
AG
JCA1 said:

Based on what the league could actually establish, the penalties seem excessive to me. No indication Luhnow even knew what was going on. Hinch knew and did not approve but didn't do enough to stop it or report it to his superiors. I get that but, man, he was in a tough spot. Middle of a World Series run and basically he had to tell on his players. Guaranteed way to lose the locker room.

Don't like the firings but, right or wrong, they lost their boss $5 mill plus the PR black eye and loss of draft picks. Most lose their jobs when they do that to their employer.
except another Houston GM...Daryl Morey did not.

I think Tillman realized (1) Morey is a good GM and (2) the world of sports is different from the real world.

the China fiasco blew over and the Rockets are back to operating as usual
DrZ
AG
It really doesn't matter what any of us think. MLB issued a report that is what they think. Unless they released a fake report.
ClickClack
AG
DrZ said:

Unless they released a fake report.

You're onto something. This is all fake.
AggiEE
Pahdz said:

Maybe he did maybe he didn't

The problem is there's no proof that he did.

Further, maybe he let Hinch handle it, who then failed to put an end to it.

Thing is, there's only so much a manager or coach can do to enforce these things or even be aware of cheating has completely ceased. Players ultimately need to be held accountable for their own actions

Are we going to fire our new GM the next time Osuna beats his baby momma or Correa is caught with a needle in his ass?
My guess is that luhnow system had benefits of being first in use but it's been around long enough that elements are entering other team systems.
He had the benefits of a loaded farm system from several years of high drafts that most GMs trying to copy the methods haven't had the luxury with that talent pipeline to build up a team analytically. But I find it impossible to believe that the Astros have maintained the secret sauce, although maybe have created new secret recipes in the last couple years, who knows
wangus12
AG
All I want is to see the evidence of the other teams and for them to be punished
ccaggie05
AG
Until we start seeing other organizations getting similar punishments, and Alex Cora gets a multi year suspension given he was basically running the whole operation (plus that video posted above isn't helping his case), this is nothing but a successful attempt by bitter East and West coast national media reporters helping take down a successful sports franchise from fly over country.
AustinCountyAg
What gets me in this whole thing is how the team didn't even try to hide it. I mean yes, they knew it probably wasn't right but my gosh they had a dedicated tv monitor right next to the dugout. People are constantly walking by it I'm sure over the course of a season. Different people in and out of the clubhouse/dugout. You would think if they truly thought they were breaking the rules to such a severe degree they would've been more secretive?

It just doesn't add up to me to justify the punishments handed down for it. Especially if their is proof out there of at least 8 other teams doing something similar.

Coras post game London interview is also very telling. Once again it makes me think that they knew what they were doing was skirting the lines of right/wrong but they didn't think it was some extreme case of cheating.

Either all of that or Alex Cora and Beltran are two serious ****ing idiots.
JCA1
AG
W said:

JCA1 said:

except another Houston GM...Daryl Morey did not.

I think Tillman realized (1) Morey is a good GM and (2) the world of sports is different from the real world.

the China fiasco blew over and the Rockets are back to operating as usual

Hence the word "most."

I wish they hadn't been fired and don't think the evidence the league compiled warranted their individual punishments. But when you cost your employer what they cost Crane, "most" lose their jobs. Just the way of the world.
W
AG
Bregxit said:

DrZ said:

I have a feeling after 2021 only Altuve, Bregman and Gurriel will be left from the core players.
yes, it feels like everything depends on Springer.

if he leaves...the flood gates open wide
First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.