*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,920 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

Bregxit said:

DrZ said:

This is the equivalent of steroid era managers getting suspended when the players fail drug test. Crane made a deal with MLB. Don't suspend the players, who the report said were responsible, and I will fire these guys. Players already know about it. Told to keep quiet or they will get suspended too.

I have a feeling after 2021 only Altuve, Bregman and Gurriel will be left from the core players.
yes, it feels like everything depends on Springer.

if he leaves...the flood gates open wide

Hence why ****ing Crane needs to take the two salaries of Luhnow and Hinch and pay Springer his money.
W
AG
one part of the "Luhnow system" that has never been a secret...

don't sign players to 6, 7, 8-year contracts...especially players over 30.

yet many teams (like the Angels) continue to do that
the last of the bohemians
So let's please not sign Springer to more than 4 years.
He plays too hard to not eventually have a significant injury as he ages.
Although I wish every player played the game like him
bearkatag15
AG

Bauer can't help but be a dick..
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
https://es.pn/2NoYDdN

Espn is running this is "comment not aging well" but I think AJ is actually nailing it but MLB is ignoring what he is saying which is basically same thing Cora said. Everyone was doing something and so is being targeted is ridiculous.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Regarding the turnover in the front office. This seems to indicate Putila won't be the interim GM since he focuses on player development.

Quote:

Since the fall of 2018, the Astros' front office has also lost assistant GM and longtime amateur scouting director Mike Elias (who went to the Orioles), director of research and development Mike Fast (Braves), special assistants Sig Mejdal (Orioles) and Oz Ocampo (Pirates) and manager of international scouting Eve Rosenbaum (Orioles).

So, who is even left in the department? Pete Putila is the lone assistant GM remaining, making him the highest-ranking member of baseball operations aside from Crane. If Crane hires Luhnow's replacement internally, the 30-year-old Putila is the most likely candidate. He's viewed as a potential future GM, as demonstrated by the fact that the Giants and Pirates interviewed him for their vacancies earlier this offseason.

However, Putila specializes on the player development side rather than in the day-to-day major league operation, where he hasn't had much exposure. His role has been akin to a farm director, though when promoted in September he also gained oversight of the sports medicine and performance department.
Among those left in the front office, special assistant Kevin Goldstein worked closest with Luhnow on roster construction. The 50-year-old former Baseball Prospectus writer, who was not punished by MLB or named in Monday's report for his 2017 email to scouts regarding sign-stealing, has been with the team since 2012 and has been a special assistant with a focus on player personnel dating to 2017. Bill Firkus is the team's senior director of baseball strategy, a subset of the department in charge of 40-man roster management, contract negotiations, the salary arbitration process and more. He was promoted to this role on only Sept. 30, so this offseason has been his first exposure to his current duties, including dealings with agents and rival executives. His path has been unorthodox; he previously led the team's sports medicine department.

Ehsan Bokhari holds the title of senior director of player evaluation, a new position that put him in charge of the Astros' player evaluation processes in each of the amateur, professional and international arenas. That means he, along with director of player evaluation Charles Cook and domestic scouting supervisor Kris Gross, will be tasked with maneuvering a draft without the team's regular first- and second-round selections in 2020 and 2021, barring more department changes before June.
Aggie1205
AG
aTm2004 said:

03_Aggie said:

My concern is the ripple effect of lunhow and hinch as it relates to the players. If they don't agree with cranes move I could see some with no intention of resigning and playing for an owner that didn't back those guys.

I have zero proof, but I feel MLB backed Crane into a corner to where he had to in order to keep the title or to keep players from being punished. I'm sure the players are angry, but I imagine Crane will have a meeting with them and tell them everything.

MLB told all of the players that if they were honest they wouldn't be punished. They werent in danger.
Ag_07
AG
Funny thing is he was speaking on being accused in 2019.

That comment had nothing to do with 2017 and the subsequent investigation.

Of course ESPN spinning it otherwise.
dshedd41
S
Question I have for the group, should i just give away my copy of Astroball? Anyone want it?>
Gig’em Aggies!
Aggie1205
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

So let's please not sign Springer to more than 4 years.
He plays too hard to not eventually have a significant injury as he ages.
Although I wish every player played the game like him

Why would Springer agree to a short term deal vs becoming a free agent?
Mathguy64
AG
Just to recap: This waste of oxygen and piece of human debris brought the whole thing down. But he hasn't got the guts to turn his WS ring back in. I am all for the first batter up in the first game we play with him on the bump wearing a set of brass knuckles under their batting gloves, dropping the bat and charging the mound.

Post removed:
by user
Then let other teams make that mistake.
Altuve Bregman and Yordan are the 3 we build the next 8 years around, IMO
agdaddy04
AG
dshedd41 said:

Question I have for the group, should i just give away my copy of Astroball? Anyone want it?>

Haven't said this twice now? Why make such a big deal of it? Are you no longer a fan of the Astros?
JABQ04
AG
Amen. What a piece of *****
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Why not make a run at say Elias or one of the other Luhnow pupils who had been hired away? None of those teams have what we have to work with and they all obviously know what we have. There aren't rules about when they can take new jobs...
Bregxit
AG
W said:

Bregxit said:

DrZ said:

This is the equivalent of steroid era managers getting suspended when the players fail drug test. Crane made a deal with MLB. Don't suspend the players, who the report said were responsible, and I will fire these guys. Players already know about it. Told to keep quiet or they will get suspended too.

I have a feeling after 2021 only Altuve, Bregman and Gurriel will be left from the core players.
yes, it feels like everything depends on Springer.

if he leaves...the flood gates open wide

No chance Springer re-signs here. He is a bigger fan of AJ than we are.
Ag_07
AG
Live look at Alex Cora

Big Al 1992
AG
The other piece of debris is Taubman. His outburst - overblown by the media as it might have been - gave Manfred a lot of cover to accuse the front office of being a bunch of Taubman clones. The reports said as much.
dshedd41
S
Sorry, just asking.....

anywho....... here's an article I wrote........

http://houseofhouston.com/2020/01/13/houston-astros-rumors-j-hinch-team-darkest-day-franchise-history/
Gig’em Aggies!
wangus12
AG
Ag_07 said:

Live look at Alex Cora

Probably moving a lot of money into the savings account
No doubt, the mlb pc police are happy today
Mr.Bond
AG
dshedd41 said:

What does this even mean? Have any world series gear you want to give away too?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
I wonder if Reid Ryan considers his dismissal after the season a blessing now
W
AG
time for Crane jr. to earn his paycheck
Pahdz
W said:

I wonder if Reid Ryan considers his dismissal after the season a blessing now
maybe Crane was doing him a solid
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

time for Crane jr. to earn his paycheck

Can't......stop.......laughing.

Or crying. Hard to tell which is which sometimes.
dshedd41
S
Ok, I was being mildy sarcastic about it.

Third Coast, if you really want it, i sell it to you for Amazon price
Gig’em Aggies!
Big Al 1992
AG
Anyone else see the video on MLB of Bregman at post game press conference - they asked if he was looking for the pitch that he jacked or did he guess right. He smirked for a long time then said - yeah I guessed right.
Mr.Bond
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Anyone else see the video on MLB of Bregman at post game press conference - they asked if he was looking for the pitch that he jacked or did he guess right. He smirked for a long time then said - yeah I guessed right.

I still to this day how no clue how a player could hear any artificial noise during a big game. I was on the 8th row during the world series and could barely hear my wife
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggiEE
If only the astros went full high tech and communicated the signs via an electronic buzzer that would vibrate their jock strap instead of banging on a ******* trash can none of this would have ever happened. Also should have used some Joe Schmoe who looked like a season ticket holder with binoculars to see the signs and transmit the signal

Amateurs
Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
dshedd41 said:

Ok, I was being mildy sarcastic about it.

Third Coast, if you really want it, i sell it to you for Amazon price
So you go from giving it away to selling it for full retail price? Cool bro
ccaggie05
AG
I don't get why anybody thought this system would be effective (and it wasn't based on the Astros performance at home vs on the road in 2017). I can imagine it takes a huge amount of concentration to have any shot at hitting major league pitching, so I just don't see how breaking that concentration waiting for a trash can bang that may or may not come is going to pay off in the long run.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.