*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,787 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
regarding the DH in the NL...I think the owners would just make a salary cut somewhere else to compensate.

if I'm reading USA Today's payroll rankings correctly...

10 National League teams ranked in the top half of total payroll. Only 5 AL teams (including the Astros) were in the top half
spadilly
S
Well, shoot.

W
AG
for the owners...the difference between 60 games and 70 games is significant.

60 games is 37%.

70 games is 43%

for a team with $150 MM payroll...that's $9 MM difference...and each team is going to need that for all the additional medical testing, equipment, and personnel required at home and on the road

YNWA_AG
AG
They are going to play 50-65 games. Stop getting worked up about the process lol
W
AG
if September 27th is a hard deadline to end the regular season, then the owners should have leverage over the players...as the owners wish to play fewer games
Ag_07
AG
YNWA_AG said:

They are going to play 50-65 games. Stop getting worked up about the process lol

That's not the point.

The point is they could've played A LOT more than that but they've managed to trip on their dcks and waste an absolute golden opportunity.
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
yep, the owners have to have protection in the event the COVID knocks out the postseason
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Mathguy64
AG
These two groups could screw up a wet dream.
agdaddy04
AG
Yep that's a pretty hollow statement.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Mathguy64
AG
I'm going to predict that every team has at least 25% of its players and staff test positive. Seeing the clusters in construction and other trades that work in close contact it's going to happen.
Ag_07
AG
I think there will be quite a few players who just flat out refuse to play.

Especially older players who have a lot of money or players who are just gonna strike like say Bauer.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Greinke doesn't play.
spadilly
S

My gut tells me they're going to try and start the season, then have too many players come down with COVID and they'll have to postpone or cancel the season midway through. I don't see how you play if each team has multiple positive tests and players/coaches have to quarantine for 10-14 days.

Here's to 2021.
W
AG
and if those players can get some kind of "high risk" classification...they'll still get a full pro-rata salary.

it's in the players union's proposal
the last of the bohemians
A few key players being quarantined for Covid can really effect a 60 game season.
astros4545
AG

Bregs tho
bearkatag15
AG

I know not Astros related but pretty big news in a time when news is scarce outside of protests, COVID and MLB/MLPA negotiations....
W
AG
some guys have bills to pay
Ag_07
AG
Wasn't he the one who was abusive to his wife for years?
Farmer1906
AG

Why do they keep pushing this horrendous idea?
iBrad
AG
How has the rule in the minors impacted extra inning games?

I'd like to think some of the relief pitching rules going into effect will have a positive impact on extra inning games, not only shortening them, but reducing the number of them. Managers will have to stop managing every game likes it's game seven of the World Series.

This is going to be a crazy season, if we have a season at all.
bearkatag15
AG
Yeah
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
07ag
AG
astros4545 said:

Bregs tho
you are now bregnant
https://ts.la/eric59704
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Cody-Orr-A-fascinating-versatile-Astros-prospect-15351295.php

Quote:

Houston has nine undrafted free agents so far, stockpiling some reinforcements for a gutted farm system after a shortened draft. Eight of them appear straightforward cases, players who soon hope to report to a minor league affiliate with a singular position in mind and career goals set.

The ninth? Who knows. Cody Orr can play almost anywhere. He was a high school shortstop who just had too much speed to keep out of a college outfield.

"He's pretty special," Tiffin coach Joe Wilkins said. "He's an athlete that, at least for our program, comes around once in a great while if we're lucky."

Orr answered a phone call on Thursday from an airport terminal awaiting a flight to West Palm Beach, Fla. He's Houston's most fascinating free agent signee, a two-way player from a Division II college with 6.43 60-yard dash speed, a disciplined offensive approach and athleticism that makes him adaptable almost anywhere.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/pro/2020/06/17/Rossford-s-Orr-signs-with-Houston-Astros/stories/20200617063

Quote:

Orr was a standout at the plate and on the mound during the 2019 season. He batted .349 with eight doubles, five triples, two home runs, 29 runs batted in, and 55 runs scored in 54 games. He also made 15 pitching appearances (14 starts), going 6-1 with a 5.09 earned-run average, 69 strikeouts, and 26 walks in 88 innings.

Orr played nine games in 2020 before the coronavirus pandemic forced the season to stop. He batted .412 with two home runs and 10 RBIs before the stoppage.

Last summer, Orr was an all-star in the Prospect League a wood bat summer collegiate league after winning the league batting title (.409), setting a league record with 14 triples, and leading the league with a .504 on-base percentage.
pretty interested in this player.
W
AG
and that creates another owners vs. players union issue.

let's say they agree upon a 60-game schedule...then COVID forces the season to be cancelled after 30 games.

the players will still want to be paid for 60 games
Ag_07
AG
At this point the players can F themselves
07ag
AG
both sides are horrible, with the owners being slightly more horrible, imo
https://ts.la/eric59704
Ag_07
AG
All I want for Father's Day is baseball. This just isn't right.

What am I supposed to lay on the couch and watch?
Post removed:
by user
tjack16
AG
Did somebody check the mail at Minute Maid Park? The Yankees were supposed to be sending the Astros a Father's Day gift today
spadilly
S
Ag_07 said:

All I want for Father's Day is baseball. This just isn't right.

What am I supposed to lay on the couch and watch?

Nascar. Start watching, doze off, wake up for the last few laps.
bigjag19
AG
Watch your wife and kid clean the house.

Tell them I say hi.
First Page Last Page
Page 245 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.