*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,246 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I honestly don't give a **** anymore. I reached my breaking point a few days ago. **** all these guys
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
I am not going to act like I'm not watching as soon as its back, but I agree with the **** all those guys.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Do you have to sigh a waiver for damages and injuries when Yordan drops howitzer shots up there?
Frok
AG
Anytime, anywhere....

But not yet and not at that pay
Beat40
Frok said:

Anytime, anywhere....

But not yet and not at that pay

And trying to use the fans as a shield.
W
AG
speaking of the Astros and free agency...

LMj is a free agent after the 2021 season.

so if the 2020 season is cancelled...he'll take the mound in his contract year...having not pitched since 2018.

hard to say what the market for LMj would look like. He's never started more than 22 games in a season
Deluxe
AG
W said:

speaking of the Astros and free agency...

LMj is a free agent after the 2021 season.

so if the 2020 season is cancelled...he'll take the mound in his contract year...having not pitched since 2018.

hard to say what the market for LMj would look like. He's never started more than 22 games in a season
Yep. Some interesting implications of potentially not having a 2020 season.

In one way it could be positive for LMJ. The 2020 season was likely to be very restrictive for him in terms of innings and was likely going to have to make multiple IL stints. By next year he might be able to have a 150-200 inning season. But like you pointed out, it's kind of a lost opportunity for him to re-gain some of his live game sharpness before his free agent year.

One other macro Astros issue from not having a 2020 season is that we're going to have to make some tough decisions on extensions for LMJ, JV and Greinke after 2021. Guys like James, Framber, Abreu, Javier, Sneed, Urquidy and possibly even Whitley were going to be leaned on for meaningful innings this year and give us some good insight as to whether or not they'll be capable of nailing down a rotation spot in 2021 and beyond. Now we'll have to make decisions on extensions for LMJ, JV and Greinke with a bit less info on our potential reinforcements.

At the same time though, after watching what Tampa has pulled off the last few years, I trust Click's ability to scout talent and piece together innings in the long run.
bearkatag15
AG

bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I assume the players are expected to reject that?
n_touch
Deluxe said:

bearkatag15 said:

lol why wait till 5 to vote on that
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch said:

Deluxe said:

bearkatag15 said:

apparently it was originally scheduled to happen at 3pm, but it was pushed back to 5pm for some reason.
W
AG
this is going to be a problem:

"No salary guarantee in event games not played"
W
AG
JV will be 39 years old at the start of the 2022 season.

Grienke will be 38 years old at the start of the 2022 season.

I think 2 years is the most the Astros would offer either. Maybe 2 years for $60 MM. Make the offer to JV first
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

n_touch said:

Deluxe said:

bearkatag15 said:

apparently it was originally scheduled to happen at 3pm, but it was pushed back to 5pm for some reason.
Probably a last ditch effort to negotiate before Rob just implements the schedule he wants
Deluxe
AG
Yea. JV and Greinke's age could be a good thing from a commitment standpoint.

Though JV might slip from elite ace status beyond 2021, it's hard to imagine him being worse than a ~No. 2 starter in the next 3-4 years given his fitness and desire to keep pitching. And the idea of incrementally tacking onto his deal without making a long term bet could be very beneficial.

Greinke is a little tougher case because his stuff seems to be deteriorating at a faster clip than JV's, but damn... somehow he keeps finding ways to get guys out. I think he's got another year or two as a top-of-the-rotation type starter. I'd be perfectly happy giving him 1 year deals until he can no longer effectively eat innings, even if he loses his top-of-the-rotation status.
bearkatag15
AG
07ag
AG
lol when and where
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
why do they even bother to negotiate?
W
AG
I guess now we'll see if any Astros refuse to play the 48-game commissioner mandated schedule.

(assuming the commissioner doesn't just call off the season)
spadilly
S
So Manfred is going to implement the 50-60 game schedule now? Still think the bigger issue is going to be keeping everyone healthy.
W
AG
it would be a 48 or 50-game season.

don't know it that would be 100% pro-rata or a lesser amount (80-85%)
Farmer1906
AG
Dear baseball

EastCoastAgNc
AG
gougler08
AG
As a collective, they are all ****ing ******s
W
AG
4. Upcoming free agents get destroyed in market

----
strangely enough that might help the 'stros keep the band together for a couple of more years.

I could see Brantley or Yuli accepting a 1-year deal. Might not have to offer 2 years
astros4545
AG
W said:

4. Upcoming free agents get destroyed in market

----
strangely enough that might help the 'stros keep the band together for a couple of more years.

I could see Brantley or Yuli accepting a 1-year deal. Might not have to offer 2 years

Springer needs to factor in staying in Houston for a discount

Just think of all the free dinners at Casa Ole he will be getting from Houston as gratitude
Ag_07
AG
And whining and bltching we're gonna hear from the players when FAs don't get paid is going to be so unbearable.

Well...Maybe they shoulda thought about that in these "negotiations".
3B Paul 97
AG
Is there any media calling the players out on the when and where statements?
Farmer1906
AG
bigjag19
AG
I no longer wish to live in a world where I have to agree with everything that comes out of Bauer's mouth.
astros4545
AG
Social media is giving the players a voice they haven't had during other negotiations

Don't let their funny jabs blind you to the fact that they are just as greedy as the owners

They share blame equally
Panama Red
AG
The players have far more blame. They get what the wanted, now it's not good enough.
First Page Last Page
Page 246 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.