*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,250 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we did something illegal it will come out.

As it stands, congrats folks... we are the MLB version of the Patriots.
8T2
Nino Brown said:

And this is why I love baseball. Whatever supposedly happened was brought on by an idea of a guy who just came from a previous team. And that team was doing similar things.

This is very familiar to TU doing damage to so many other SWC teams because they were upset the money they were offering recruits wasn't enough and they were losing.

Every sports team is looking for angles. Basketball uses technology during timeouts and football uses technology from the booth to communicate to the sidelines and directly to the field right up to the snap.

I believe any sort of sounds coming from the dugouts has more to do with others in the dugout seeing pitchers tipping or catchers placement and not necessarily signs from the catcher via technology as catchers signs are changed way too often.

Always remember, when you're looking for answers to why a team is getting attention in a negative way for supposedly doing something wrong you have to follow the dollar first. When your World Series isn't highly rated it's not very hard to figure out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27977416/nats-astros-world-series-goes-7-games-third-least-viewed%3fplatform=amp

A quick analysis of the numbers in that article shows that it is not the Astros' fault that the numbers dived. It is the Nationals'.
wangus12
AG
Love Collin's wife

Deluxe
AG
wangus12 said:

Love Collin's wife

I like how she said this is the 10th time Fiers has brought up this issue. I'm sure he, Farquhar and tons of baseball insiders were well aware of the sign stealing going on in 2017. No one wanted to bring it to the surface because tons of people would be implicated and, like steroids, pine tar, etc, the bad look for the game wasn't worth it. MLB was obviously aware of it because they implemented a bunch of rules after 2017 to prevent it from happening in the future.

Fast forward to 2019 when the best way to impress your baseball journalist friends is to write something trashy about the Astros. Let's conflate this old cheating allegation with some currently perceived lack of institutional control and... a-ha! a scandal! Tons of clicks. Tons of pats on the back for Rosenthal and Drellich.
Ag_07
AG
Different situations

Fran's newsletter was deemed unacceptable once it became time to fire him. No one cared up until then but once they needed to use it to fire him then it was a big deal.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Different situations

Fran's newsletter was deemed unacceptable once it became time to fire him. No one cared up until then but once they needed to use it to fire him then it was a big deal.
Correct. The situations were very different.

EDIT: The point I was making was aside from that but deleted it because it was confusing.
Ag_07
AG
I think I get what you were saying.

I think the problem is a combination of the fact that journalism is dead and today's society loves a good viral outrage.

Those two combined have resulted in writers crafting up hit pieces like this (and the Taubman story) to remain relevant.
Deluxe
AG
Totally agree
Frok
AG
Haters gonna hate. Love watching Jomboy try his hardest to discredit the Astros. I guess he has to since the Yankees can't beat them on the field.

JABQ04
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Does this mean we've made it?
Deluxe
AG
Frok said:

Haters gonna hate. Love watching Jomboy try his hardest to discredit the Astros. I guess he has to since the Yankees can't beat them on the field.
Still putting the cart ahead of the horse with this take, but the irony here is that this may have all started with the Yankees.

The article sites a player who brought the tactic from another team (I'm presuming Beltran) and Richard Justice pointed out earlier that McCann was scared sh*tless to put down signs at Yankee Stadium in the 2017 ALCS. Both played for the Yankees the previous season. Not to mention the Red Sox-Yankees sign stealing feud earlier in the year that resulted in Boston getting fined.

If MLB does a thorough investigation and forces all relevant players/coaches/front office/etc to talk, I'd be surprised if the Yankees don't end up with some pie on their face.

But I also tend to think an investigation isn't going to go that far. My prediction is that they'll end up settling with the Astros by forcing them to admit to a smaller wrongdoing, taking a fine, and brushing everything else under the rug. I think MLB knows an all out investigation here could yield a result that would be very bad for the game.
EagleAg19
One thing's for sure, I REALLY want to go win another one to shut em all up.
Frok
AG
I don't really see what can happen outside of a small fine. It's from 2017. How much investigating can you do at this point? It sounds like baseball already made the corrections since then to prevent this.

Really what it is is good offseason talk while there is no baseball to watch.

Beat40
Deluxe said:

Frok said:

Still putting the cart ahead of the horse with this take, but the irony here is that this may have all started with the Yankees.

The article sites a player who brought the tactic from another team (I'm presuming Beltran) and Richard Justice pointed out earlier that McCann was scared sh*tless to put down signs at Yankee Stadium in the 2017 ALCS. Both played for the Yankees the previous season. Not to mention the Red Sox-Yankees sign stealing feud earlier in the year that resulted in Boston getting fined.

If MLB does a thorough investigation and forces all relevant players/coaches/front office/etc to talk, I'd be surprised if the Yankees don't end up with some pie on their face.

But I also tend to think an investigation isn't going to go that far. My prediction is that they'll end up settling with the Astros by forcing them to admit to a smaller wrongdoing, taking a fine, and brushing everything else under the rug. I think MLB knows an all out investigation here could yield a result that would be very bad for the game.

If MLB had integrity, they'd admit it was a league wide issue either verbally or in writing. Pretty crappy to know how much it was going on to the point where you make rule changes to combat it and then let it hang all on one organization's neck.
Harry Dunne
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Yeah, except without all of the rings. I would gladly deal with this horseisht if we had won another one this year.

Not sure why the eff everyone is piling on. Let us win a few before you start the dynasty hatred.
Harry Dunne
Nuke LaLoosh said:

We almost surely did do something illegal, but it seems like a lot of other teams did too. I'm sure the patriots were not the only ones doing the stuff they were doing.

Unfortunately when there's a pack of cars speeding the cop usually pulls over the red sports car, and right now that's what we're driving.
Farmer1906
AG
Me to MLB and these angry writers.

Ag13
AG
Congrats Justin Verlander!! Cy Young
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ag13 said:

zgood10
CoachRTM
AG
Verlander over Cole

Still rooting for the outside chance that Verlander goes into the HOF as an Astro, and this helps.
Ag13
AG
CoachRTM said:

Verlander over Cole

Still rooting for the outside chance that Verlander goes into the HOF as an Astro, and this helps.
Another world series would help a lot. And make me very happy.
MelvinUdall
Teddy Perkins said:

Ag13 said:

So close. I am happy for Verlander, he should have have won a while back, it could gone either way.

From a personal stand point, I am glad it went to Verlander. Prior to Cole's response to answering questions and wearing a Boras hat at the end of game 7, I was hoping he would win it, but I couldn't be in his corner of winning the Cy Young. I wish him nothing but the best, but I hope he thanks the Astros for making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

I know old news.
MaxPower
I think it should have been Cole, in spite of his inevitable departure from the team.
Marvin
AG
So glad JV won. Suck it haters. Suck it self-representers. Suck it Fiers- JV's jock is the closest you'll ever get to sniffing a Cy Young.

Screw em all.
03_Aggie
MaxPower said:

I think it should have been Cole, in spite of his inevitable departure from the team.

I suspect the no hitter was the differentiator.
Farmer1906
AG
1 step closer to another Astro cap in the HOF. He needs another title here.
CFTXAG10
AG
mwm
Since Cole didn't win the CY, maybe we can get him for cheap.
Nino Brown
There was once a time in human history that journalism had to have facts before "thoughts" were shared just to chase the almighty dollar. What a ****ty college degree to get.

It's like a ****ing used cars salesman with a pen and a microphone.
MelvinUdall
I love your name...that is all...
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Fun to my head I would have probably picked Cole too, but they were so close I can't see anyone being upset by this. It was dependent on which statistic you gave more weight to.
Ciboag96
Nino Brown said:

There was once a time in human history that journalism had to have facts before "thoughts" were shared just to chase the almighty dollar. What a ****ty college decree to get.

It's like a ****ing used cars salesman with a pen and a microphone.

Exactly. They are striving so hard to earn a living/following/notoriety that they'll run with anything to grab eyeballs. Desperation, thy name is "journalist. ".
Mathguy64
AG
Man. I'm happy for JV. I would have voted for Cole but I was splitting hairs. I wish they had tied.
Nino Brown
More importantly, any journalist jumping on stuff without facts and withholding info on other teams to make sure the team or market they profit off of the most is protected should be sent to China.

MLB and ESPN are *****s imho.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.