*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,762 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And remember, she's speaking as the wife of a non Astro since Colin is an UFA.
Bulldog73
AG
So we have a much better offense in 2017 on the road (laughable sometimes how bad we were at home offensively), so I guess we cheated better in other people's ball parks? I mean, I'm a realist, to be stressed the way it was by MLB, it had to be widespread, and maybe we did do it, but IF we did, we were far from alone.
03_Aggie
bearkatag15 said:

Surely someone that tweets can start a deluge of homers people have hit off of him?
astros4545
AG
Doesn't Bauer want one year deals every year

Would one year $24 M be enough for Bauer in 2020?
Beat40
03_Aggie said:

bearkatag15 said:

Surely someone that tweets can start a deluge of homers people have hit off of him?

I think he's being sarcastic.
JJxvi
AG
Thats an awful pitch, pretty sure Bauer is actually joking there
03_Aggie
Possibly. Couldn't tell for sure given his prior pine tar/spin rate accusations.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
"Before the World Series this year, members of the Washington Nationals organization received warnings from others around the game to beware of everything from flashing lights to whistling to a person relaying signs from the train that runs above left field, sources told ESPN."

I need the train thing to be true. Fkn Bobby Dynamite.
Mathguy64
AG
We must be the worst cheaters in the world. Losing all 4 games at home and all.
n_touch
mathguy86 said:

We must be the worst cheaters in the world. Losing all 4 games at home and all.

Maybe they did It to throw them off.
n_touch
Seems to me that them worrying about tipped pitches and sign stealing kind of actually hurt. They get on the road and can actually play and not overthink it.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.facebook.com/8373031/posts/10116339208721624/

Hope that works
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
This is great. Found it buried in all the replies to Bauer.

I'd love for Bauer to wear orange and blue.

cc10106
Astros are going to be good to great for years and certain people don't like it. Sucks for them.
astros4545
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

"Before the World Series this year, members of the Washington Nationals organization received warnings from others around the game to beware of everything from flashing lights to whistling to a person relaying signs from the train that runs above left field, sources told ESPN."

I need the train thing to be true. Fkn Bobby Dynamite.

Whenever Bobby Dynamite is sleeping, that means a curveball is coming
ClickClack
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Jomboy goes off on Hinch in his breakdown on this

Poor Jomboy. Gives it all away by posting the quote against his beloved yankees at the end. I'm sure it's a righteous anger, though. Stay butthurt, my friend. Your fanbase is complete trash.
Nino Brown
And this is why I love baseball. Whatever supposedly happened was brought on by an idea of a guy who just came from a previous team. And that team was doing similar things.

This is very familiar to TU doing damage to so many other SWC teams because they were upset the money they were offering recruits wasn't enough and they were losing.

Every sports team is looking for angles. Basketball uses technology during timeouts and football uses technology from the booth to communicate to the sidelines and directly to the field right up to the snap.

I believe any sort of sounds coming from the dugouts has more to do with others in the dugout seeing pitchers tipping or catchers placement and not necessarily signs from the catcher via technology as catchers signs are changed way too often.

Always remember, when you're looking for answers to why a team is getting attention in a negative way for supposedly doing something wrong you have to follow the dollar first. When your World Series isn't highly rated it's not very hard to figure out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27977416/nats-astros-world-series-goes-7-games-third-least-viewed%3fplatform=amp

Nino Brown
And the east coast/west coast media biased will keep pounding on teams just at the right moment by all means necessary.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28059274/why-george-springer-free-agent-winter
Ag_07
AG
So in the Athletic article one anonymous source (former member of the team) says that in 2017 it went on into the postseason but the other anonymous source (also former member of team) says it stopped prior to the postseason.

Either it did or it didn't go on in the postseason. How can these two anonymous sources both of whom had the same level of access say two completely different things?
wangus12
AG
I assume because one of them is mad at the Astros and one of them isn't and wants to keep his ring. Still think you can't do anything without catching them in the act of doing so.
Deluxe
AG
And it seems like the Jomboy videos prove relaying, but don't necessarily prove technology aided sign stealing.
BCSGrubber
AG
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/carlos-beltran-astros-stole-signs-but-not-illegally/

So 3 of the MLBs more high profile mangers (Hinch, Cora, Beltran) now have this hoovering around them. I expect MLB will make a statement that says nothing outside the rules was done but the MLB put in additional rules to stop the potential for something like this to happen.
03_Aggie
It was an off season article that is doing exactly what it was intended to do, generate clicks/talks in a dead time.

Can't wait to watch these boys mash next year. They're going to salty over this.

wangus12
AG
Wish they'd have been in salty in October
n_touch
They were. They made it to Game 7 of the WS. It was to bad they had a better camera set up at in Washington than they did in MMP
JJxvi
AG
http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/11/the-athletic-bombshell-and-astros.html?m=1
Deluxe
AG
Richard Justice said on the radio this morning that Brian McCann walked his signals out to the mound during the 2017 ALCS because he knew the Yankees were using technology to steal signs. And he would know what the Yankees were up to... he played for them the year before. Beltran did as well. And it would make sense that the Yankees have been by far the most paranoid team about what we're up to because they were doing it too.

I'm guessing there's alot of keeping up with the Joneses going on here. Our competition had an edge. Beltran and McCann knew it. Sounds like we responded by doing it ourselves (as a number of other teams like the Red Sox did).

It's telling how this issue kind of came up in the last two ALCS's and then just disappeared quickly. The Red Sox, Astros and Yankees were all doing it, so none of them had a leg to stand on in accusing the others. Same thing with the pitchers using sticky substances.

After the 2017 season, MLB banned cameras foul pole to foul pole and put in mound visit limits (among other things) to help combat the issue. I suspect there will be major penalties if it's proven that any team violated the new rules post 2017. But so far it looks like the violations on video that I've seen were from 2017, when presumably many more teams than just the Astros were doing it.
Marvin
AG
03_Aggie said:

It was an off season article that is doing exactly what it was intended to do, generate clicks/talks in a dead time.

Can't wait to watch these boys mash next year. They're going to salty over this.

I hope this is the outcome- the team takes full offense of the allegation that their success is attributed to cheating, and goes in dry on all of MLB next year.
E
AG
Listened to that as well, really good info.

Nothing will happen with the 2017 stuff, just a bunch on internet fodder then we'll all forget and no teams will do anything.

Two things he noted were that 1. Notice how no other teams are coming out against the Stros and how everyone is keeping their mouth shut 2. Remember the Red Sox last year with blatant pine tar cheating and no one cared soon after?

Everyone's doing it. It just sucks to be the team getting caught.
irish pete ag06
AG
Deluxe said:

Richard Justice said on the radio this morning that Brian McCann walked his signals out to the mound during the 2017 ALCS because he knew the Yankees were using technology to steal signs. And he would know what the Yankees were up to... he played for them the year before. Beltran did as well. And it would make sense that the Yankees have been by far the most paranoid team about what we're up to because they were doing it too.

I'm guessing there's alot of keeping up with the Joneses going on here. Our competition had an edge. Beltran and McCann knew it. Sounds like we responded by doing it ourselves (as a number of other teams like the Red Sox did).

It's telling how this issue kind of came up in the last two ALCS's and then just disappeared quickly. The Red Sox, Astros and Yankees were all doing it, so none of them had a leg to stand on in accusing the others. Same thing with the pitchers using sticky substances.

After the 2017 season, MLB banned cameras foul pole to foul pole and put in mound visit limits (among other things) to help combat the issue. I suspect there will be major penalties if it's proven that any team violated the new rules post 2017. But so far it looks like the violations on video that I've seen were from 2017, when presumably many more teams than just the Astros were doing it.
Like I said a while back. If there are rules against it specifically, then shame on the Astros. If there was a gray area left by the MLB, then I'd be angry that the Astros were not exploiting it. Smart teams piss other teams off a lot because it makes them mad they didn't think of doing that.

I'm a high school football coach, and If you aren't using every advantage the rule book allows then you aren't doing it right.
CFTXAG10
AG
Deluxe
AG
E said:

Listened to that as well, really good info.

Nothing will happen with the 2017 stuff, just a bunch on internet fodder then we'll all forget and no teams will do anything.

Two things he noted were that 1. Notice how no other teams are coming out against the Stros and how everyone is keeping their mouth shut 2. Remember the Red Sox last year with blatant pine tar cheating and no one cared soon after?

Everyone's doing it. It just sucks to be the team getting caught.
It's a pretty common media trend right now:

Headline: Astros are terrible
Story: MLB has widespread issue
PSully97
AG
PSully97 said:

Caught the game yesterday with my old man. Our first game together was in the Dome 35+ years ago and over the years we have seen some classics...and this was not one of them, but as I get older I appreciate getting to spend the time with my dad doing something we both love.

Something funny to report about the game: We were sitting in sec. 119 towards the back and a couple of younger guys with Astros lanyards & IDs were in front of us, one of them manning a camcorder on a tripod filming a close-up of the pitchers, the other was charting pitches on a tablet.

After 5 or 6 innings of Pirate HR Derby, they start looking at and talking about a guy on the Union Station rooftop that is waving his arms around, taking zoomed-in pics of him and texting those to a group text of people trying to figure out if he's just a joker waving at one of his friends in the stadium or if he's signaling the Pirates batters. I was really hoping to be able to break a sign stealing story and have an excuse for Peacock, but no Pirates batters were looking up there and eventually the rooftop guy went away. I do think it's great that we have paranoid interns looking for malfeasance.
I posted this on the regular season thread back in June after the Cy Sneed debut (10-0 L to the Pirates). I thought it was strange that intern-type guys were so paranoid about sign stealing that they were having a conversation with a superior about something so far-fetched as a guy on the rooftop signaling batters. Not evidence for anything other than that all the way down to the lowest levels of the organization this is something that was known to be happening and was a priority to keep an eye out for.
wangus12
AG
Lol ESPN running with it on Sportscenter just now calling them cheaters
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.