*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,037,213 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
EagleAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoever was in charge of the trashcan should be fired after this year's WS. Unacceptable.
Farmer1906
AG
bobinator said:

Eh, I have no idea. Depends on what they can actually prove and I'm not super familiar with some of the similar punishments given out.

I'm just saying the 'everyone was doing the same thing' take isn't really one I agree with in this case.

Plus like JJ is saying, there may be some things the Astros stopped doing after MLB actually put some rules in place against it.
Can I buy you a beer and you tell me all the interesting details?
Mathguy64
AG
So Fiers is basically saying the A's are too stupid to cheat? or maybe hes really saying that the drum beaters in the A's craphole stadium are drowning out the trashcans beaters in their dugout?

The sanctimonious writers can go **** themselves. I didn't see them complaining when Sosa and McGuire and Aroid , Bonds, et al were shooting themselves up every night before a game.
bobinator
AG
Haha, let's see what MLB's investigation turns up and then I can post all the details.
Farmer1906
AG
They can't afford the extra camera in the OF.
Farmer1906
AG
Wait what if the banging of drums in Oakland signals the to the players what pitch is coming? They have employees acting like fans in order to not be noticed.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bobinator said:

I posted on the season thread, maybe in 2018, that I happened to have some insider info on the Astros sign stealing operation and I have absolutely no doubt that we were (are?) doing is above and beyond everyone else.

Kind of figured it would get us before long, too many people moving between franchises.

How can you possibly "have absolutely no doubt" that what we are doing is different than every other team? Genuinely curious.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

The Astros' set-up in 2017 was not overly complicated. A feed from a camera in center field, fixed on the opposing catcher's signs, was hooked up to a television monitor that was placed on a wall steps from the team's home dugout at Minute Maid Park, in the tunnel that runs between the dugout and the clubhouse. Team employees and players would watch the screen during the game and try to decode signs sitting opposite the screen on massage tables in a wide hallway.

The area between the clubhouse and dugout at Minute Maid Park where the Astros placed a screen in 2017.

When the onlookers believed they had decoded the signs, the expected pitch would be communicated via a loud noise specifically, banging on a trash can, which sat in the tunnel. Normally, the bangs would mean a breaking ball or off-speed pitch was coming.

Fiers, who confirmed the set-up, acknowledged he already has a strained relationship with the Astros because he relayed to his subsequent teams, the Tigers and A's, what the Astros were doing.
"I just want the game to be cleaned up a little bit because there are guys who are losing their jobs because they're going in there not knowing," Fiers said. "Young guys getting hit around in the first couple of innings starting a game, and then they get sent down. It's (B.S.) on that end. It's ruining jobs for younger guys. The guys who know are more prepared. But most people don't. That's why I told my team. We had a lot of young guys with Detroit (in 2018) trying to make a name and establish themselves. I wanted to help them out and say, 'Hey, this stuff really does go on. Just be prepared.'"
bobinator
AG
Well, I don't have insider info on all of the other clubs, so I guess I can't be 100% sure. They all could have had the same ideas at the same time I suppose, but they seemed to think they were a level above everyone else.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
bobinator said:

Well, I don't have insider info on all of the other clubs, so I guess I can't be 100% sure. They all could have had the same ideas at the same time I suppose, but they seemed to think they were a level above everyone else.

Was what we were doing against MLB rules?
Mathguy64
AG
Wait. IIRC we cornholed Fiers late in the season this year when he was on a super long winning streak. And by cornholed him we popped him for like 9 runs in 1.something innings. I'm too lazy to look it up but it was a brutal and hilarious inning plus. You don't suppose this is his way of payback?
bobinator
AG
I'm not super familiar with what actually is and isn't (or was and wasn't) against the rules.
JJxvi
AG
*edit* RE: Teddy Perkins

Monitors in the tunnel were banned for 2019. MLB knows teams were doing this and made a rule to stop it.
Ag_07
AG
So from the time a sign was given to the time a pitch was thrown we relayed the sign from a camera, to a TV in the tunnel, up to the dugout, and to the hitter.

Then after that the hitter had a split second to hear the noise, process what it was, and make the decision based off that noise.

03_Aggie
It seems to wreak of an off season article to fill space. Not sure why it took two years to put such an article together.
CFTXAG10
AG
Add in the crazy environment at MMP during the playoffs in 2017 and yea, I call BS
bobinator
AG
Well, there's a pretty clear reason for that. They finally got someone to go on the record in Mike Fiers.

They've probably had the outline of this article for a while but I'm sure the editors wanted at least one actual name put to it.
Ag_07
AG
All that said I'm not saying we didn't have aTV screen down there and satff studying it.

It's probably more plausible that guys studied the tape and in between innings relayed what they deciphered to the players and coaching staff but no way do I think the banging on the trash cans from the tunnel during an AB is plausible.
Farmer1906
AG
We have ipads in the dugout now.
bobinator
AG
I think a potentially interesting question is whether or not it was only people watching the video.
03_Aggie
bobinator said:

Well, there's a pretty clear reason for that. They finally got someone to go on the record in Mike Fiers.

They've probably had the outline of this article for a while but I'm sure the editors wanted at least one actual name put to it.

Still isn't anything new or really a revelation. Boston was caught doing it and admitted to it earlier in 2017. So I guess the difference is we were making sounds from a tunnel so actions weren't visible in the dugout? That's where we were "smarter?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html
Farmer1906
AG
bobinator said:

I think a potentially interesting question is whether or not it was only people watching the video.
You think the brought in animals to watch too? That's some bleeding-edge thinking, right there.
JJxvi
AG
The only "camera" the Astros needed to do this was the broadcast camera in dead center field. Its just a matter of putting the live instantaneous broadcast on in the tunnel, and you can see the catchers signs in real time, just like you can if the catcher is holding them too low or whatever.
bobinator
AG
That's the real secret. Ancient code breaking turtles.
03_Aggie
JJxvi said:

The only "camera" the Astros needed to do this was the broadcast camera in dead center field (from a network they also own, BTW). Its just a matter of putting the live instantaneous broadcast on in the tunnel, and you can see the catchers signs in real time, just like you can if the catcher is holding them too low or whatever.

It seems that was addressed by MLB by implementing an 8 second delay.
Mathguy64
AG
bobinator said:

I am of the opinion that a lot of what we do is based on very sophisticated AI/machine learning video analysis. Its way beyond the days of someone watching. Its just too much input in too short a time frame.
Ag_07
AG
Fiers is just looking for an excuse as to why his former team has shelled his ass to the tune of a 6.95 ERA over the past 2 years.
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

Fiers is just looking for an excuse as to why his former team has shelled his ass to the tune of a 6.95 ERA over the past 2 years.

JJxvi
AG
03_Aggie said:

JJxvi said:

The only "camera" the Astros needed to do this was the broadcast camera in dead center field (from a network they also own, BTW). Its just a matter of putting the live instantaneous broadcast on in the tunnel, and you can see the catchers signs in real time, just like you can if the catcher is holding them too low or whatever.

It seems that was addressed by MLB by implementing an 8 second delay.
They also banned monitors in the tunnel. You can only view video in the dugout (where there is presumably some sort of supervision at least plus the 8 second delay) or back in the clubhouse.
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

bearkatag15
AG

Jomboy goes off on Hinch in his breakdown on this
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

All that said I'm not saying we didn't have aTV screen down there and satff studying it.

It's probably more plausible that guys studied the tape and in between innings relayed what they deciphered to the players and coaching staff but no way do I think the banging on the trash cans from the tunnel during an AB is plausible.
Exactly. I was there for G7 of the ALCS and theres no way in hell the batter on the field could discern the sound of a trash can being beat on from crowd noise.
Deluxe
AG
Let's deflect attention from this by signing Cole and Wheeler tomorrow.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

So from the time a sign was given to the time a pitch was thrown we relayed the sign from a camera, to a TV in the tunnel, up to the dugout, and to the hitter.

Then after that the hitter had a split second to hear the noise, process what it was, and make the decision based off that noise.

Depends on how fast a pitcher works. What's the average time a pitcher stays set after the sign was agreed upon?

I don't know the answer to that, but if we were looking at it simultaneously, and the pitcher even waited a second, there would be time to hear a sound made.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Let's deflect attention from this by signing Cole and Wheeler tomorrow.
Cole & Wheeler.

F yo luxury tax.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.