*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,811 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No joke. I don't know if I've seen this many negative articles on one team.
Ag_07
AG
So we just gonna casually ignore the biggest off-season news yet?

Correa waited 2 years just go head down to the local JP and tie the knot

https://instagr.am/p/B4vUzMjhTWW
Frok
AG
Bet she's preggo
astros4545
AG
Frok said:

Bet she's preggo

That's a good theory
03_Aggie
Ag_07 said:

So we just gonna casually ignore the biggest off-season news yet?

Correa waited 2 years just go head down to the local JP and tie the knot

https://instagr.am/p/B4vUzMjhTWW

He was probably hoping to land a new contract to avoid the whole communal property thing. Didn't happen, possibly due to a bad massage, so here we are.....
CFTXAG10
AG
What are the odds 1-10 that she is BSC?
gougler08
AG
tailgatetimer10
AG
astros4545 said:

Hip speed could use some work still

Ag_07
AG
Frok said:

Bet she's preggo

What other reason do people go get married at the JP?
JJxvi
AG
https://theathletic.com/1363451/2019/11/12/the-astros-stole-signs-electronically-in-2017-part-of-a-much-broader-issue-for-major-league-baseball/
bobinator
AG
I've been waiting for this article for a long time... Only seemed like a matter of time.
JJxvi
AG
Anybody paying attention to the ridiculous 2018 LCS likely wouldnt be surprised. The Sox and Astros went absolutely insane in that series
JJxvi
AG
I think that the accused player and coach mentioned are going to end up being Cora and Beltran
JJxvi
AG
As far as the media axe to grind, we are basically in pretty hot competitive rivalry with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, and even as far as this region with the Rangers. Its not exactly a recipe for positive media spin, but **** 'em.
Farmer1906
AG
Here are my thoughts on the sign stealing.

1. I fully believe there is some type of cheating going on. This organization is here to win. We find all the advantages. We're the leader of the league on taking the next step. We've probably pushed the boundaries a time or three (see Osuna).

2. I believe we're just one of many or all teams cheating in a way beyond just sign stealing by standing on 2nd base and figuring it out. Boston, New York, and a few others have been caught too.

3. The writer of the article, Evan Drellich, has a very public feud with the Astros. It would be like MSNBC or CNN covering Trump of Fox News covering Burney. It's going to be slanted. Add in his source is Mike Fiers, a guy we chose not to resign, and 2 unnamed sources and it just makes is very difficult to take it on face value.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
If we broke the rules we should be punished accordingly.

If we didn't break the rules and simply did things that other people didn't like, who cares.
JJxvi
AG
MLB basically gave everybody a wtf, stop this, and even punished the Red Sox because of the craziness at the end of 2018. Anything from 2017 is probably going to be a non story, anybody still doing **** now, might be punished.
redline248
AG
Basically, the Astros used a camera to get the sign and relay it to batters by banging on a trash can before the pitch.

That article features Mike Fiers giving quotes about the Astros and saying stuff like "is not right," and "some guys didn't like it." He says he told both the Tigers and As about the Astros as soon as he joined their clubs. He also says that the Astros were worried about other teams doing it to them.

There are unnamed former Astros staffers that said it was happening. Some former White Sox, Farquhar or something, says he heard the loud banging on 3 consecutive change ups. He was mad the media didn't talk to him after the game, but why didn't he tell anyone who could write about it?

How can the League catch the Red Sox cheating, but not the Astros? It can't be that hard to sneak someone into the seats near the dugout and listen for it.
redline248
AG
...and another thing,

The headline, and most of the article, is about the Astros cheating. It opens with a paragraph about how everyone was cheating, and how the Astros get mentioned by others bc everyone dislikes the Astros right now...and then spends the rest of the article talking about only the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi
AG
They dont listen because banging on a trash can or whistling, or yelling "lets go" instead of "yeah baby" before the pitch is just SOP for baseball both for relaying stolen signs (legally) or pitch tipping. You need to catch them using the electronics to punish someone
McGibblets
AG
I haven't read the article aside from the first few sentences behind the paywall, but the article seems somewhat suspect. Drellich has always had an axe to grind with the Astros, going back to when he was the beat writer here. I don't doubt that the Astros, and a large number of other teams are doing this, but it's a little funny he picked the Astros to write his story about
Beat40
I can only imagine the ecstasy the 4 Rangers fans on the Rangers thread is having over this.

Seriously though, I do hope MLB is able to root out any sort of legitimate cheating from all teams. I don't really have a doubt we are involved in some way, same as every other team.

It would just be nice to see articles written evenhandedly. A well, someone's got to be the villain, and I guess it's us.

It's just so funny how much a feel good story we were in 2017, but now win 100 games three years in a row and keep the Yankees from making the world series 2 out of 3 years and this stuff starts to come out.

Oh well, go win it all next year.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

Four people who were with the Astros in 2017, including pitcher Mike Fiers, said that during that season, the Astros stole signs during home games in real time with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield.

Now, an MLB investigation into the Astros' culture in the wake of the team's firing of assistant general manager Brandon Taubman could be expanded to determine who in the organization was aware of the sign-stealing practice and whether it continued or evolved in subsequent seasons. The Athletic's confirmation of rule-breaking by Houston is limited to 2017.
MAROON
AG
it worked so well in 2017 that we had a worse home record than we did on the road.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag_07
AG
It's borderline ludicrous to think you can use a camera, relay that to the dugout, then relay that to the batter all in time for him to decide to swing or not.

So tired of this crap. If we're caught then fine take a punishment but we've haven't been.

Sounds just like a bunch of butthurt. Hey Mike listen if you were so upset about it you're more than welcome to give that ring back...Yeah I didn't think so.

WGAS
bobinator
AG
I posted on the season thread, maybe in 2018, that I happened to have some insider info on the Astros sign stealing operation and I have absolutely no doubt that we were (are?) doing is above and beyond everyone else.

Kind of figured it would get us before long, too many people moving between franchises.
Beat40
Teddy Perkins said:

Quote:

Four people who were with the Astros in 2017, including pitcher Mike Fiers, said that during that season, the Astros stole signs during home games in real time with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield.

Now, an MLB investigation into the Astros' culture in the wake of the team's firing of assistant general manager Brandon Taubman could be expanded to determine who in the organization was aware of the sign-stealing practice and whether it continued or evolved in subsequent seasons. The Athletic's confirmation of rule-breaking by Houston is limited to 2017.

These types of articles are where things just seem so weird to line up with actual happenings.

In 2017 and 2018, we actually weren't great at home (above average but not great), which is where we were stealing signs allegedly. It's just weird how it didn't really seem to help us. Doesn't mean we didn't do it, but they write about this as if we had some amazing home record those seasons. They forget we were beasts on the road in those years and somewhat pedestrian at home.
Beat40
bobinator said:

I posted on the season thread, maybe in 2018, that I happened to have some insider info on the Astros sign stealing operation and I have absolutely no doubt that we were (are?) doing is above and beyond everyone else.

Kind of figured it would get us before long, too many people moving between franchises.
I remember you saying this.

How severe do you think punishment should be? Curious your take.
JJxvi
AG
Like i said, MLB put in a bunch of new policies this year. Banning all cameras from foul pole to foul except broadcast, 8 second delay to all broadcasts to dugouts, no monitors in tunnels to clubhouse, subjecting each club to camera and monitor audits. All of this from 2017 was basically known by MLB and addressed after the shenanigans of 17-18 and especially in the 18 postseason
bobinator
AG
Eh, I have no idea. Depends on what they can actually prove and I'm not super familiar with some of the similar punishments given out.

I'm just saying the 'everyone was doing the same thing' take isn't really one I agree with in this case.

Plus like JJ is saying, there may be some things the Astros stopped doing after MLB actually put some rules in place against it.
03_Aggie
bobinator said:

Inside info from within the club or media connection?
bobinator
AG
The club.
lunchbox
Its official. The Astros are the Patriots now. I'll allow it.
Ag_07
AG
lunchbox said:

Its official. The Astros are the Patriots now. I'll allow it.

Except the Patriots were actually caught and punished multiple times by their league

Stros haven't

First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.