*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,797 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's pretty damning.
JJxvi
AG
LOL. Jomboy's asshurt out of all this makes it truly worth it coming out.
Mr.Bond
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

That's pretty damning.

Yea no kidding...... That's really bad.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

JJxvi
AG
List of the rules implemented this year, to specifically combat this.

Quote:

• During games, clubhouse televisions are required to show the feed on a delay of a minimum of eight seconds. Real-time telecasts are prohibited so that players cannot read a rival catcher's sign and relay it to the dugout so that it can then be relayed to the field.
  • A league official is present in the video room of each clubhouse during every game during both the regular and postseasons. As each club's designated representative watches live feeds to aid their manager in determining whether to appeal an umpire's call, the league official patrols to ensure players are not in the video area, the only area in which a live feed is allowed.
  • Each club is required to fully disclose the location of every camera it has installed in its ballpark and what the purpose of that camera is. MLB then performs "audits" of all installed technology in ballparks to confirm clubs are complying with regulations. Some of these walkarounds are scheduled; others are unannounced.

And as I mentioned before, its not listed where i copied those from, but all video monitors in the tunnel were banned also.
Mathguy64
AG
If you think MLB is doing all that because of us, I have a bridge to sell you.
Beat40
mathguy86 said:

JJ hasn't said MLB did that because of us only. He's said consistently in the thread that we haven't been the only ones doing this and that MLB has known about this system, or something similar, with multiple teams since 2017. He's also said MLB didn't really make it an issue until the 2018 postseason fiasco.

JJ has been saying MLB instituted these rule changes for all teams.
Ag_07
AG
Well...Either we need to get Jose some hearing aids or whoever is banging the can when Altuve gets a slider down and away needs to be fired ASAP
JJxvi
AG
Im actually upset with Danny Farquhar's reaction. The proper move there was to tell his catcher to go with the same sign sequence, throw a couple more pitches and then drill a guy with a heater after an offspeed sign.
Beat40
I do think, once all of this comes out after the investigation, there will be some fines and suspensions.

Just my feeling - hope to be wrong.
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

mathguy86 said:

JJ hasn't said MLB did that because of us only. He's said consistently in the thread that we haven't been the only ones doing this and that MLB has known about this system, or something similar, with multiple teams since 2017. He's also said MLB didn't really make it an issue until the 2018 postseason fiasco.

Oh I know. I wasn't replying to him. Just a comment in general. Its clear to me that many teams are/were doing it. And those that weren't are dumb.
Beat40
mathguy86 said:

Beat40 said:

mathguy86 said:

Oh I know. I wasn't replying to him. Just a comment in general. Its clear to me that many teams are/were doing it. And those that weren't are dumb.

Gotcha. I agree.
W
AG
ouch. yeah, um, Farquhar knew something was up
irish pete ag06
AG
Look, if MLB didn't have specific rules against it like they do now, oh well!
JJxvi
AG
This particular method was really just bending the rules to the point of totally smashing them. You were never allowed to use technology to relay or steal signs (hence the Red Sox getting penalized for using Apple watches in 2017), and you technically i think werent allowed to have live video in the dugout.

...but the clubhouse was fine, and the tunnel also wasnt in the dugout, so if the game was just broadcast right there for someone to watch...well, anybody could watch it really, and its within earshot.

Teams (maybe even the Astros) may have been doing things much more nefarious than that, but what this article says is basically a known quantity that MLB was already addressing as a problem. The article actually seems to indicate that until 2017 the Astros were behind other teams that were already doing this since it says it was introduced by a new player who had done this with his old team.
bearkatag15
AG

Astros PR team learned from their last press release mistake
gigemJTH12
AG
how would this even be proved?

why would Fiers willingly pitch against us multiple times before saying this?

why risk his ERA if he thought we were doing this?

bigjag19
AG
Most importantly, will snitches get stitches?
W
AG
because he probably knew that many other teams were doing something similar
W
AG
kind of like college football...when you're cheating and losing...nobody cares
gigemJTH12
AG
I just really dont care.

we had a much better road record that year.

we won 2 road World Series games including game 7.

and good luck proving this.
astros4545
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

how would this even be proved?

why would Fiers willingly pitch against us multiple times before saying this?

why risk his ERA if he thought we were doing this?

He's too dumb to change his signals

The guy doesn't even know how to shave his face
redline248
AG
Couple points:

Fiers basically said everyone was doing it in 2017, and only wanted to make sure his new teams were aware so they would start the games using alternate signs. He never blamed any lack of success vs Houston on the cheating.

The article also said the Astros allegedly stopped using the video + trash can system in the playoffs. One of the sources pointed out that with the loud fans no way it could be heard, anyway. Also said won game 7 on the road.

Jomboy going after Hinch isn't fair, bc the article is 2017 and that quote was from 2019, after all the rules to prevent video cheating. Good on him for finding the video of the Farquhar game, but **** him otherwise.
dshedd41
S
gigemJTH12 said:

I just really dont care.

we had a much better road record that year.

we won 2 road World Series games including game 7.

and good luck proving this.
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
It's odd to me that only one video of the reported violation has surfaced (Farquhar vs Gattis in 2017). If the issue is as wide-spread as is being alleged, there should be hundreds (if not thousands) more videos just like it.
redline248
AG
I couldn't help myself

Ag_07
AG
So Beltran was asked about to today by the NY Post and said basically we were doing everything but using cameras. He said we constantly studying pitchers and we're absolutely sign stealing but it was organically. Said he knew nothing of cameras or monitors installed anywhere.
E
AG
We got him a WS ring and does this...

Not a smart move Mike Fiers, not smart at all...
dshedd41
S
I texted my friend the story and his response was that sounds like someone is bitter. I have to agree, why bring this up NOW?!??!? Mike Fiers is just bitter in my opinion after reading the ESPN summary
Gig’em Aggies!
Hulla Baller
AG
Banging trash cans?

WTF
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
agproducer
AG
dshedd41 said:

And, McHugh is a big union guy. This seems to me a perfect **** storm: a reporter who has it out for the Astros, a bitter ex player and some anonymous sources.

As a journalist, I always hated anonymous sources. In this case, if you are making an accusation, stick your name to it. These sources are supposedly former players/people with the team. I can understand if you are anonymous because you still work for the team and you are being a whistleblower, but to no longer be with the team and ask for anonymity, is a ***** move.

At least with Fiers he owned what he said.
Mathguy64
AG
I think Mike Fiers should turn in his WS ring. Give that mother back. Its clearly tainted. I mean we cheated to get it.

Come on Mike, you holier than thou piece of excrement. Put your money where your mouth is. Give back the ring and the money from the playoff share. What that? I cant hear you.

Freaking hypocrite. Give me a break.
Ag_07
AG
Y'all maybe it's not a thyroid but maybe Tyler White is partially deaf
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
dshedd41 said:

First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.