*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,821 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just caught Allard's 4th. Looked good. Fast pace and seemed to be around the plate.

Rangers debut in a NL park, having to bat. Coming from Atlanta... probably not as big a deal as if it were an AL minor league player. I wonder if that played into things at all?!
DallasAg 94
You could sense Allard was either about out of gas, or lost the feel for his pitches. I like that Woody left him in, to see if he could figure it out. Also gives Woody a chance to see how Allard responds to different situations.

A DP leaves his line pretty good... a base hit makes the line not look so good.

But, it is about the pitches, not the score/result.
KT 90
AG
He was at 90+ pitches and looked like he was running out of gas to me. Overall, a good outing. Looking forward to seeing him out there again.

DallasAg 94
This is what I love about NL ball.

So much more to consider.

Bringing in Choo is ultimate PH'er. Bases loaded and you either leave the pitcher in that just walked 3 guys, to face a guy with one of the best OBP. OR... you now have to bring in a RP to face a guy that doesn't generally swing at bad pitches and there is zero room for a mistake.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

He was at 90+ pitches and looked like he was running out of gas to me. Overall, a good outing. Looking forward to seeing him out there again.
I agree.

Like wbt5845, I was interested to see him pitch. Overall, I really like his demeanor and the way he approached what I was able to see. Post-Game comments will be interesting.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Bringing in Choo is ultimate PH'er. Bases loaded and you either leave the pitcher in that just walked 3 guys, to face a guy with one of the best OBP. OR... you now have to bring in a RP to face a guy that doesn't generally swing at bad pitches and there is zero room for a mistake.

Yep. I like that part of NL ball. But either AL rules on NL rules, I feel like both leagues should play by the rules. So either no DH for both leagues or DH for both leagues. I'd be fine either way, but it's silly have different rules between the two leagues.

KT 90
AG
Damnit Trevino... you are a catcher... don't try to get the extra bag there.

gigem1223
KT 90 said:

Meh dont blame him there. That perfect bounce off that wall was ridiculous.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

1B coach sent him. I don't think there was any expectation they'd get a bounce like that. Trevino had the best read on the ball, not the 1B coach, so he should have not gone.
Old Tom Morris
Just freak bad luck. Good chance to get into scoring position in a tie game. Just didn't work out
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Yep. I like that part of NL ball. But either AL rules on NL rules, I feel like both leagues should play by the rules. So either no DH for both leagues or DH for both leagues. I'd be fine either way, but it's silly have different rules between the two leagues.
The reason I like them being different is it helps isolate comparison of players. Not just different pitchers, but different lineup strategies with the P v DH hitting.
Rossko
AG
Hey hey hey......it's MAAAATTTTT ALBERS
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Just caught Allard's 4th. Looked good. Fast pace and seemed to be around the plate.

Rangers debut in a NL park, having to bat. Coming from Atlanta... probably not as big a deal as if it were an AL minor league player. I wonder if that played into things at all?!
All minor leagues use the DH. Pitchers don't hit until the big leagues.
DallasAg 94
Old Tom Morris
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Which is one of many reasons why I think NL rules are stupid. It's such an outdated setup. Have these guys hit for the first time since HS. Brilliant.
DallasAg 94
"Jeremy Jeffress' Late Night Munchies"
bigcat22
AG
Just saw where Odor is 0-0 with 4BBs tonight. He also has a 5BB game in his career, which brings me to the below stat. Amazing...

wbt5845
AG
Yeah, Allard was even better than I was expecting. People bash JD so hard - and he deserves it at times - but we gotta be man enough to give him his props when he scores a good one. Nolan Ryan can't be given credit for this trade at all.
jkag89
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Not always. In AA & AAA when both teams playing are National League farm clubs it is not uncommon for pitchers to hit.
Seven Costanza
AG
Odor's OPS splits for the past few months are not bad actually.

June: .746
July: .903
August: .808
Old Tom Morris
Odor has the skills. He shows it pretty much every mid-season like he's doing again this year. He's got to figure out how to avoid pissing away the first month or two and the last one. His career July OPS is .890. June and August are a little under 800. It's April, May, and Sep at sub 700 that suck
cmiller00
AG
At Miller Park for the game. Go Rangers!
KT 90
AG
cmiller00 said:

That's awesome. Go sneak up to the slide and go down it.
cmiller00
AG
KT 90 said:

cmiller00 said:

That's awesome. Go sneak up to the slide and go down it.

Ha. Nice to watch a game outside when it's 77 in August.
wbt5845
AG
Payano's first two innings.

KT 90
AG
Ugh, just got home from dinner to see Odor swing through ball four up and clearly out of the zone and Andrus caught stealing on the same pitch. We needed to score there. Tieing and go ahead runs were on base.
hawk1689
AG
People that bash JD at all don't have a very complex understanding of MLB economics. If the name Nolan Ryan even enters the conversation when talking about Jon Daniels tenure, then I can't take it seriously.He's the greatest GM we've ever had and it's not close. He's one of the best in the game.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

People that bash JD at all don't have a very complex understanding of MLB economics. If the name Nolan Ryan even enters the conversation when talking about Jon Daniels tenure, then I can't it seriously.He's the greatest GM we've ever had and it's not close. He's one of the best in the game.
We are lucky to have JD. I still believe that.

Odor and Mazara are black marks on his record tho. Highly doubt either one of those guys ends up playing like the regular the organization expects them to be.
hawk1689
AG
I'm quite the opposite of a Mazara and Odor hater. Even if you don't believe they're going to progress into stardom, what they're doing now is good enough. Odor is having a down year, but he's already had three really good MLB seasons and he's yet to turn 26. Mazara has never hit below 20 home runs or a .250 batting average. He's already had a 100 RBI season. His WAR value is skewed because of defense, which dWAR is fake news anyway. Oh yeah, he's yet to turn 25.

If you want to complain about Daniels, complain about Adrian Gonzalez, John Danks, or Prince Fielder. Those two are a positive in my book.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Saying hes the greatest GM we've ever had isnt saying much
hawk1689
AG
Well they won two penants and were one misplayed fly ball away from winning the whole thing. A few more division titles and playoff appearances.
DeangeloVickers
AG
hawk1689 said:

Well they won two penants and were one misplayed fly ball away from winning the whole thing. A few more division titles and playoff appearances.
If my aunt had nuts she's be my uncle

Old Tom Morris
I think JD is good at managing an organizational roster. That was on display the most with the WS and playoff run. They did that by leveraging the asset they had in a guy like Tex, and some savvy bargain hunting - be it guys they were able to flip later or bringing back a guy like Colby Lewis. And he's still pretty good at bargain hunting - see Minor and Lynn.

But I think he's piss poor at drafting overall and is clueless about what it takes to develop pitchers. They've got to fix both.
wbt5845
AG
Quote:

But I think he's piss poor at drafting overall and is clueless about what it takes to develop pitchers. They've got to fix both.
To his credit, they took a complete top to bottom reassessment of how they handle young pitchers last season. They shut down their brand new drafted pitchers and put them straight into strength training.

Whether the new approach yields dividends - we have to wait and see. But at least the organization is willing to step back and take a hard look at how they're doing business.
PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

hawk1689 said:

If my aunt had nuts she's be my uncle

This is the kind of comment you make when you have no facts or opinions to back up your statement
First Page Last Page
Page 118 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.