*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,923 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

We beat 2 teams tonight.

We beat a very good team in the Astros and we beat the umpires. That guy behind home plate is probably the worst I've ever seen. His finger prints were all over the game, in a bad way. He would call low strikes on us that he just called balls for Astros hitters and to make things even worse, the Astros benefitted from all of his crappy calls.

Very gratifying to win this game when we had the deck stacked against us the whole time.

Home plate ump wasn't good, but he wasn't Joe West or Angel Hernandez bad. Chavez had some of it coming once he showed up the ump by barking at him. Any ump is going to tighten it up a bit after you show him up. But there were some other questionable calls when we were batting as well, but that's the way it goes sometimes. At least overcame it and came out with the win.

But Chavez has to be better than that. He's been in the MLB long enough to know better. Have to move on and not let it get to you.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

We beat 2 teams tonight.

We beat a very good team in the Astros and we beat the umpires. That guy behind home plate is probably the worst I've ever seen. His finger prints were all over the game, in a bad way. He would call low strikes on us that he just called balls for Astros hitters and to make things even worse, the Astros benefitted from all of his crappy calls.

Very gratifying to win this game when we had the deck stacked against us the whole time.

Home plate ump wasn't good, but he wasn't Joe West or Angel Hernandez bad. Chavez had some of it coming once he showed up the ump by barking at him. Any ump is going to tighten it up a bit after you show him up. But there were some other questionable calls when we were batting as well, but that's the way it goes sometimes. At least overcame it and came out with the win.

But Chavez has to be better than that. He's been in the MLB long enough to know better. Have to move on and not let it get to you.

Umpires aren't perfect and I don't expect perfection back there.

What I look for is does it have an impact on the game and is he at least calling it both ways?

It seemed like everytime Chavez wasn't getting the call on some very good pitches that were clearly strikes, the Astros scored runs.

There were at bats where our hitters were up there and he called some of the same pitches strikes in the same spots that he called balls for our pitchers.

So yea........ it did impact the game and he didn't call it both ways. It definitely had an Astros slant to it.

He was terrible tonight, but we overcame it and that's awesome.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

78669AG said:

Is there no one who can play 2nd Ordor need to go

This thread's record is broken. Two fantastic wins, one of which Odor was on base in 3 of 4 AB's, but this is the one contribution some dingleberry has to offer.
I've given up on the odor crap. He can't be sent down because he has 5 years of major league service time. As long as the front office keeps Danny Santana around in case Odor craters, I'm good. If they trade him, I'll be pissed tho.
KT 90
AG
Angels just threw a combined no hitter. And it was a tribute night to Tyler Skaggs, entire team was wearing #45.

KT 90
AG

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Angels just threw a combined no hitter. And it was a tribute night to Tyler Skaggs, entire team was wearing #45.

Good for them. Good story.

toucan82
Sports are pretty good sometimes
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

78669AG said:

This thread's record is broken. Two fantastic wins, one of which Odor was on base in 3 of 4 AB's, but this is the one contribution some dingleberry has to offer.
I've given up on the odor crap. He can't be sent down because he has 5 years of major league service time. As long as the front office keeps Danny Santana around in case Odor craters, I'm good. If they trade him, I'll be pissed tho.

If you'd have watched the post-game, you'd have 100% confidence Santana isn't going anywhere.

And if you saw the celebration after the W... Odor was the 1st to reach Santana.

It is baseball... a game designed with failure as a common outcome... where 75% failure (.250 BA) will make you million every year. We could harp on Santana's inability to make a throw home, or hit a cut-off man... or see it as an area he will hopefully fix, knowing he is willing to do what he is asked to do, even if there is still work to be done... and that he has the ability to contribute in many ways.

Woody really likes Santana. He indicated it was incredibly hard to send him down. And last night, when asked about Santana, he blushed and smiled like a girl who had just lost her virginity. I've rarely seen a coach smile about a player like he did about Santana. I think it would break Woody's heart, if JD traded him.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

78669AG said:

If you'd have watched the post-game, you'd have 100% confidence Santana isn't going anywhere.

And if you saw the celebration after the W... Odor was the 1st to reach Santana.

It is baseball... a game designed with failure as a common outcome... where 75% failure (.250 BA) will make you million every year. We could harp on Santana's inability to make a throw home, or hit a cut-off man... or see it as an area he will hopefully fix, knowing he is willing to do what he is asked to do, even if there is still work to be done... and that he has the ability to contribute in many ways.

Woody really likes Santana. He indicated it was incredibly hard to send him down. And last night, when asked about Santana, he blushed and smiled like a girl who had just lost her virginity. I've rarely seen a coach smile about a player like he did about Santana. I think it would break Woody's heart, if JD traded him.
Is there somewhere I can find the post game?

I usually don't watch it.
sburg2007
Taking my three year old to her first game tonight. Normally I would've waited, but with it being the final season of the Temple and her little brother arriving in a week, now had to be the time to introduce her to one of my top 3 favorite places. I have a parking pass, but haven't been since opening day. Where's best place to park and get in "easily"? I have pretty low expectations and would like to make it through three innings. Any other tips?
DallasAg 94
sburg2007 said:

Taking my three year old to her first game tonight. Normally I would've waited, but with it being the final season of the Temple and her little brother arriving in a week, now had to be the time to introduce her to one of my top 3 favorite places. I have a parking pass, but haven't been since opening day. Where's best place to park and get in "easily"? I have pretty low expectations and would like to make it through three innings. Any other tips?

How fun.

We have Six Flag passes, so we go to Six Flags and use our dining pass for dinner and park out in BFE... aka... close to the ballpark.
KT 90
AG
Depends on where you are coming from and where your parking pass is. But best way to get in easily is to get there early.

And they allow you to bring in drinks / snacks, so you might consider that to help appease the kid for a bit. Check out rules on that on the Rangers web site.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
I was a 2%er last night and turned the game off at 7-4. Went to a bar with some friends looked up at the tv and it was 8-8 going to the 9th. Hell of a comeback and hell of a job by Santana to come through in the clutch. Up 2-0 we HAVE to win this series
Grapesoda2525
sburg2007 said:

I'm Taking my three year old to her first game tonight. Normally I would've waited, but with it being the final season of the Temple and her little brother arriving in a week, now had to be the time to introduce her to one of my top 3 favorite places. I have a parking pass, but haven't been since opening day. Where's best place to park and get in "easily"? I have pretty low expectations and would like to make it through three innings. Any other tips?
I always park near the Sheraton hotel. Yeah.... it's a little pricey, but their parking lot can only hold so many cars. If you leave an inning early, you usually can be out of there and on the open road in no time at all.

Bring lots of water.
Grapesoda2525
PWestAg18 said:

I was a 2%er last night and turned the game off at 7-4. Went to a bar with some friends looked up at the tv and it was 8-8 going to the 9th. Hell of a comeback and hell of a job by Santana to come through in the clutch. Up 2-0 we HAVE to win this series
You make a good point,

Someone needs to remind the rangers of the Boston Red Sox series recently. Most fans were nervous about that series going into it. We went up there and won the first 2 then lost the last 2. When you have a good team on the ropes like this ( Astros or Red Sox) you really need to capitalize and at least win the series.

Going from up 2-0 to 2-2 is very deflating.
bigcat22
AG
Pretty funny, but surprised he didn't get tossed for that

Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

Pretty funny, but surprised he didn't get tossed for that

I don't blame him.

These next few weeks are critical for the short and long term future of this team and we're playing our biggest rival. Chavez was making some amazing pitches and getting absolutely nothing to show for it. If we had a competent home plate umpire back there, we probably win 8-4. Now is definitely not the time for some goof ball umpire to pick favorites and cause problems behind the plate.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PWestAg18 said:

You make a good point,

Someone needs to remind the rangers of the Boston Red Sox series recently. Most fans were nervous about that series going into it. We went up there and won the first 2 then lost the last 2. When you have a good team on the ropes like this ( Astros or Red Sox) you really need to capitalize and at least win the series.

Going from up 2-0 to 2-2 is very deflating.
Biggest difference is Minor pitched the beginning of that series and then the back end of the rotation sucked in games 3 and 4. We have Minor going tonight, so hopefully the allstar break didn't mess with the groove he was in
Rossko
AG
2B help on the way for Fairbanks. I love the move.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=solak-000nic
sburg2007
I have season ticket parking so don't really wanna pay any more. I used to park over there all the time when I came from Plano too. Now I'm heading in from Burleson. I am bummed likely won't get in before the bobbleheads run out.
Grapesoda2525
Rossko said:

I just saw that.

It's an amazing trade for us for several reasons :

1) we lose Fairbanks, but we get a top 100 rated prospect for him? Hell yes.

2) he's a righty and our major league roster is way too slanted toward lefties.

3) we have several very good relief prospects in the minors

4) he provides a much needed shot in the arm to our upper level position player talent down on the farm. It needs to be upgraded.

5) it could be seen as a sign that the rangers aren't totally 100% "all in" invested in odor anymore. After he was pretty much a no show for the first half of the last 2 seasons, they shouldn't be.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

You might be misinterpreting the move.

Solak is not going on the 40, and is Rule V eligible at the end of the season. There are now 39 on the Rangers 40.

Quote:

Following these transactions, the Rangers now have 39 players on the club's Major League roster, along with five players on the 60-day injured list: RHP Luke Farrell, LHP Taylor Hearn, LHP Yohander Mndez, LHP Jeffrey Springs, and RHP Edinson Vlquez.
Solak is right at 1 yr younger than Odor and has yet to make his MLB debut. Like Calhoun, his 2B defense is a liability, which has led to playing LF. If he is the future 2B, it won't be this season. Like Santana, the Rangers have several several similar players.

I don't know that any of the 60IL guys are going to be activated.

It tells me the Rangers could be getting ready to make a big move. Keep an eye on the 25 and 40. The Rangers have a number of guys who will be Rule V at the end of the season. Solak could potentially be one of those moved.

Calhoun (6 months older than Solak) is batting .118 in his last 10 games, and likely off the 25, when Pence returns.

I like the move. It is about maximizing assets... and this telegraphs we will be buying. Or selling?
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

You might be misinterpreting the move.

Solak is not going on the 40, and is Rule V eligible at the end of the season. There are now 39 on the Rangers 40.

Quote:

Following these transactions, the Rangers now have 39 players on the club's Major League roster, along with five players on the 60-day injured list: RHP Luke Farrell, LHP Taylor Hearn, LHP Yohander Mndez, LHP Jeffrey Springs, and RHP Edinson Vlquez.
Solak is right at 1 yr younger than Odor and has yet to make his MLB debut. Like Calhoun, his 2B defense is a liability, which has led to playing LF. If he is the future 2B, it won't be this season. Like Santana, the Rangers have several several similar players.

It tells me the Rangers could be getting ready to make a big move. Keep an eye on the 25 and 40. The Rangers have a number of guys who will be Rule V at the end of the season. Solak could potentially be one of those moved.

Calhoun (6 months older than Solak) is batting .118 in his last 10 games, and likely off the 25, when Pence returns.

I like the move. It is about maximizing assets... and this telegraphs we will be buying. Or selling?

I'm not misinterpreting anything. This is a guy who slashed .346/.442/.926 at Louisville and .290/.382/.835 so far in the minors. He is a RH bat and already hit 17HR with 47RBI and .838OPS in AAA so far this year. He is RH bat which is something we need. I'm a huge Rougie fan but to say this guy can't help our team this year is basic denial.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I'm not misinterpreting anything. This is a guy who slashed .346/.442/.926 at Louisville and .290/.382/.835 so far in the minors. He is a RH bat and already hit 17HR with 47RBI and .838OPS in AAA so far this year. He is RH bat which is something we need. I'm a huge Rougie fan but to say this guy can't help our team this year is basic denial.
You could be right. Help me see where he fits on the 25, this season. We are at 12 Pitchers, but have carried 13 for much of the season.

Pitchers: 12
Position: 13
OF: Calhoun, Gallo, Mazara
IF: Cabrera (3B), Andrus (SS), Guzman (1B)
C: Mathis,
DH: CHoo

That's 8, not counting a 2B.

The remaining 5 players are as follows:
Util: Forsythe, Santana
OF: DeShields
2B: Odor
C: Federowicz

We currently have 2 guys on the DL
DL: Pence (OF), IKF (C)

When IKF is ready (he has played 8 minor-league rehab games), one of Mathis, Federowicz or him are going to have to be moved.

Once Pence is ready ( he has 3 rehab games in Frisco), he will likely take the role of Calhoun? Or DeShields?

That means in order for Solak to make the 25, there has to be an injury, or will take the 25 roster spot of:
Forsythe, Santana or Odor. One of the four is your full-time 2B.

It would be a BOLD move for the Rangers to trade Odor and go with one of the other 3 full-time, unless they are sellers.
wbt5845
AG
I too find this an interesting trade. I doubt it means Rangers have given up on Odor, but maybe they're hedging their bets.
crazeyalex
The trash talk thread is a dark place
bigcat22
AG
Odor not in the lineup tonight...
Rossko
AG
In my opinion the "full time 2B" isn't how Woody looks at his lineup. He came from the Dodgers which is a very analytically focused organization and has a new age way of managing. Bannister would throw out the 8-9 guys and let it ride while Woody will be playing day to day matchups. Maybe Solak plays 2-3 a week against LHP or teams with heavy LHP bullpens. I just think they are giving Woody the pieces to set his lineup with confidence every day vs having to figure out the lesser of the bad options. I don't see Solak sliding in immediately, more like the end of the month once they have moved other players or called it quits with Cabrera/Forsythe/Deshields. Solak has played LF & CF this year as well so is versatile even if he's not a great defender.

To me it looks like the team is buying in to the everyone is a contributor approach. There aren't "starters" & "bench" players just guys who play a role in different situations. You can see it when Rougie is the first to congratulate Santana even though it may hurt his playing time. Everyone seems happy for others and also ready to go when it's their turn. Solak is another piece to that puzzle more so than a replacement in my opinion. I think the front office is just making value moves and will get the 25 man settled post July 31 at this point.
hawk1689
AG
I do hope there is a move on the horizon for a SP. They have a log-jam in the OF and at 2B. In addition to Solak, they'll need to find a way to get ML AB's to Scott Heineman.
DallasAg 94
Scherzer's to 10IL.
Cashner traded to BoSox.

<Enter: It's Happening Meme>
Grapesoda2525
Well crap

It looks like we rested minor too long and he's not himself out there.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
These have been a wild 10 innings
crazeyalex
This is fun stuff
Grapesoda2525
Minor looks terrible
Danny Vermin
Not as bad the assblows defense.
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.