*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,931 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie_3 said:

AccidentProne said:

That's the idea!

Only quoting to grab your attention here. Is it possible to order or get the bobble heads they are giving away this year? I have the Michael young bobble head but really want one of each of them this year

I'll look into it. Can you shoot me a PM so it's in my inbox and not buried in the thread?
PatAg
AG
I wonder if that hoodie thing Woodward is wearing is for sale
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

DD in the 2 spot again tonight. Is Santana hurt or in the dog house?
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

DD in the 2 spot again tonight. Is Santana hurt or in the dog house?

Santana has been sick the last few days.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

And what is the timeframe on Calhouns return anyway? Haven't seen that reported lately.
Evan grant had an update in the DMN, yesterday.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2019/06/05/rangers-top-priority-post-mlb-draft-best-case-scenario-willie-calhouns-return

Late June.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

It would be nice to get Calhoun back next week. From what little I've seen of him, he's still probably one of the better bats on this team.
Looks more like late June on Calhoun's return.
DallasAg 94
Great to see Delino have a great return.

If you saw the post-game interview with Emily, he looked like a humbled man. My wife was like, "He looks like he is about to cry."

She asked him about being sent down and recalled... and what it meant to be back.

His 6-for-11, in two games, has brought his BA up to .222.

Puts a different outlook on the OF for the rest of 2019 and 2020. We may have to revisit the strategy. And remember he is still only 26.

Gallo-Deshields-Choo is back in play.

That makes Mazara and Calhoun rotating and playing DH. Do you say "play" DH?!
_lefraud_
AG
Deshields has always been interesting to me. He was drafted #8 overall, because of his name, but eventually became a Rule V pickup. He's had spurts of showing what he can do, but if not for his name he would probably be doing something else for a living.
KT 90
AG
Good to see DD get some hits, but the overall body of work over the years says it's not likely to continue. We'll see though.

KT 90
AG
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/rangers-likely-to-call-up-joe-palumbo-this-weekend.html][/url]Rangers likely to call up 2013 draft pick Joe Palumbo this weekend
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/rangers-likely-to-call-up-joe-palumbo-this-weekend.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Connor Byrne | Last updated 6/5/19

It's "likely" the Rangers will call up left-hander Joe Palumbo from Double-A Frisco to make his major league debut Saturday, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Palumbo, who's already on the Rangers' 40-man roster, would serve as the 26th man in their doubleheader against the Athletics.

Palumbo is six years removed from joining the Rangers as a 30th-round pick in 2013. Since then, the 24-year-old has made an impressive climb up the Texas organization's farm system. While Palumbo underwent Tommy John surgery in 2017, FanGraphs (No. 6), MLB.com (No. 7) and Baseball America (No. 8) each regard him as one of the Rangers' 10 best prospects two years later. Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs laud Palumbo's "timeless, rainbow curveball" and write he could develop into a No. 3-4 starter at the major league level.

So far in 2019, Palumbo has parlayed his fastball-curve-changeup mix into a 3.38 ERA/3.85 FIP with 11.55 K/9 and 4.26 BB/9 over 50 2/3 innings. It might be too optimistic to expect Palumbo to emerge as a capable big league starter right away Grant notes he may only throw a few innings Saturday but the need is there for playoff-contending Texas. The Rangers haven't gotten anything out of offseason acquisition Drew Smyly, though they're not yet willing to pull him from their starting five. However, if Palumbo shows well Saturday and Smyly's struggles continue, the former could get a shot to join Texas' rotation later in the season.

DallasAg 94
_lefraud_ said:

Deshields has always been interesting to me. He was drafted #8 overall, because of his name, but eventually became a Rule V pickup. He's had spurts of showing what he can do, but if not for his name he would probably be doing something else for a living.
His name surely helped him in some aspects, but, at 26, the guy is a career .243 hitter with 456 G and 91 SB at the MLB level. .328 OBP.

He was 7th in ROY voting.

It may have gotten him drafted at #8, but it didn't get him on a Major League roster.

The Rangers lost Odubel Herrera, whom they exposed for that Rule V draft, which gave them the open roster position to take DD. IIRC, both are CFs who were converted 2B'ers.

The biggest issue with DD remains his lack of arm strength.

And if he was as physically built like his sister, he'd be an AS, HoFer. She is 6'1"

Grapesoda2525
Evan grant was saying that Calhoun looks to be a Detroit road series return at the earliest.
PatAg
AG
His problem will always be that he has a noodle arm
Front Range Ag
AG
When you have a makeshift rotation like the Rangers do, you don't want anything to do with double headers.

There's a scheduled one on Sat. against Oakland. Any ideas/predictions on what they do?

Regular rotation spots go Lynn (Fri.), Sampson (one of the Sat. games), Smyly (Sun.), and Minor (Mon.).
DallasAg 94
Doorbell said:

When you have a makeshift rotation like the Rangers do, you don't want anything to do with double headers.

There's a scheduled one on Sat. against Oakland. Any ideas/predictions on what they do?

Regular rotation spots go Lynn (Fri.), Sampson (one of the Sat. games), Smyly (Sun.), and Minor (Mon.).
There were some details about it back on Page 53.

Front Range Ag
AG
Yep. Skipped right over it.
DallasAg 94
Doorbell said:

Yep. Skipped right over it.
Skipped right over what?
DallasAg 94
Sure hope Jurado gets this game in.
Danny Vermin
Chavez had a rough start to the season but not giving up a run since April is amazing.
Grapesoda2525
Orioles put up a much tougher fight than I expected, but still a series win.
DallasAg 94
Who are we rooting for? A's or Angels?
DallasAg 94
A bit surprising:

Keuchel with a 1 yr deal.

Quote:

his base salary is technically around $20MM, and the $13MM represents the prorated version of that sum.) Keuchel will take a physical tomorrow, and he'll jump right into the fray with Triple-A Gwinnett when he makes a start there on Saturday.

We'll see how this plays out.

$13M to pickup a SP for the rest of the season, without costing prospects would seem reasonable.

Atlanta is in the 2nd WC spot, and Philly is only 2 games ahead in the Division. Philly is in trouble (McCutch & Herrera are out). This likely puts them past the Phillies for the Div.

Keuchel added to the Rangers likely doesn't get them to the Division.
jtstanley4621
AG
Jurado has been pretty good his last few times out. I know the Orioles are about as bad as it gets, but I feel like if Jurado keeps making progress he could develop into a very solid middle of the rotation arm.

If nothing else it would be good to see the Rangers FINALLY have a homegrown starter develop
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621 said:

Jurado has been pretty good his last few times out. I know the Orioles are about as bad as it gets, but I feel like if Jurado keeps making progress he could develop into a very solid middle of the rotation arm.

If nothing else it would be good to see the Rangers FINALLY have a homegrown starter develop
I think at 23 and with a 2.43 ERA, I'd be ecstatic, even if he was doing that in AAA.

I'll take the progress and hope it continues.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Philly is in trouble (McCutch & Herrera are out).
Maybe we can trade DD to them while he has a hitting streak going? History tells us he will revert to form soon.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Not to be "that guy" but I think this series will tell me if we're a legit contender or not. We've struggled against Oakland regardless of who's good or bad for the last couple years. win this weekend and I'll be a lot more confident in our chances to stick around.

I've never really wished injury upon anyone, but if Khris Davis just magically got some muscle tightness whenever we play I'd be ok with it.
Baby Billy
AG
The resurgence of Emily Jones
https://instagr.am/p/ByaVazjHMNU
Grapesoda2525
PWestAg18 said:

Not to be "that guy" but I think this series will tell me if we're a legit contender or not. We've struggled against Oakland regardless of who's good or bad for the last couple years. win this weekend and I'll be a lot more confident in our chances to stick around.

I've never really wished injury upon anyone, but if Khris Davis just magically got some muscle tightness whenever we play I'd be ok with it.
The whole next week will be telling. 8 games in 7 days.

4 against Oakland then 4 against the Red Sox. Both are definitely good teams who could win a wildcard this year.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Sure hope Jurado gets this game in.
Another quality start from Jurado. And that was with a rain delay in there to mess with his rhythm.

Don't look now, but this ERA is 2.78.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

A bit surprising:

Quote:

his base salary is technically around $20MM, and the $13MM represents the prorated version of that sum.) Keuchel will take a physical tomorrow, and he'll jump right into the fray with Triple-A Gwinnett when he makes a start there on Saturday.

$13M to pickup a SP for the rest of the season, without costing prospects would seem reasonable.

Atlanta is in the 2nd WC spot, and Philly is only 2 games ahead in the Division. Philly is in trouble (McCutch & Herrera are out). This likely puts them past the Phillies for the Div.

Makes sense to me. A team with extra $$$ due to a new stadium that hasn't won in a while that has a fan base that EXPECTS to win? Yeah, throw some $$ out there and take a run at it.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

A bit surprising:

Makes sense to me. A team with extra $$$ due to a new stadium that hasn't won in a while that has a fan base that EXPECTS to win? Yeah, throw some $$ out there and take a run at it.
I was thinking $13M was pretty reasonable for a team to add a SP for the rest of the season. I'm sure there is an agreement for no QO. Boras gets Keuchel just enough more (pro-rated) to say not taking QO was a win.

I would have hoped the Rangers would have been in on that limited cost, with how desperately we need at least 1 SP. I think we were too far away from the Division to interest Keuchel. If we were 3-4 GB Houston, it might be his interest to be able to beat Houston, and the Rangers could have some internal insight into the Astros' roster tendencies.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

PWestAg18 said:

The whole next week will be telling. 8 games in 7 days.

4 against Oakland then 4 against the Red Sox. Both are definitely good teams who could win a wildcard this year.
I'm looking forward to it.

I think we really need to go at least 5-3.

Palumbo looks to get the early game Sat, against Bassitt (RHP). Bassitt shutdown the Rangers in April, in his only GS against us.

We get our top 4 against Boston:
Minor v Sale (13GS, 3.84 ERA)
Jurado v Weber (3GS, 5.12 ERA)
Lynn v Porcello (12GS, 4.76)
Sampson v Price (10GS, 2.83)

I like our matchups.
KT 90
AG
Couldn't we insert the Rangers in this Bauer trade scenario? Says the Indians need offense in the outfield. How about Mazara and a couple young prospects? Might take more than that, but that would get Bauer for this year and 2020 with the possibility of extending him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/7-baseball-trades-that-make-sense

Quote:

1) Trevor Bauer to Padres
He's a year away from free agency, which makes him a perfect fit for a team that's competitive this season and promises to be even better in 2020. The Padres need innings, and Bauer has averaged 28 starts and 174 innings over the last five seasons. With Carlos Carrasco now out indefinitely with a medical condition -- not to mention Corey Kluber and Mike Clevenger still on the shelf the Indians appear to be sellers, with Bauer their biggest piece to move.
Potential trade pieces: The Padres have an elite system, especially in terms of pitching. The Indians badly need offense, especially in the outfield, and that could put Buddy Reed (No. 14 prospect) and Jeisson Rosario (No. 19) in the mix, as well as any number of San Diego's promising young arms, starting with their No. 4 prospect, righty Luis Patino. These clubs swung a deal involving Brad Hand and Francisco Mejia last summer, so we know they aren't afraid to deal with each other.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Added bonus: the Astros dorks hate him.
wbt5845
AG
I am still not a fan of making a run at any SP option that requires giving away prospects. We still are not buyers this year IMHO.
First Page Last Page
Page 53 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.