***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,877,288 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I'll be in 127 row 11
David_Puddy
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I'll be in 127 row 11

One of my best friends will be in seats 1 & 2 about 5 rows in front of you
jetch17
AG
I'm just looking to bring my 'cheap seats' mojo from 2017 to be in the building hopefully for some hardware raising

dshedd41
S
I didn't have the money in 2017, so I just watched all the games on tv but this year is different
Gig’em Aggies!
Ciboag96
jetch17 said:

I'm just looking to bring my 'cheap seats' mojo from 2017 to be in the building hopefully for some hardware raising

dshedd41
S
I'll be in section 233 club seats baby
Gig’em Aggies!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Off season topics I look forwards to

1. In depth analysis in to ranking Astros WAGS, this will bring in assistance from Math for past and current photographic evidence. We can then set up a pecking order like a sorority group shot.
2. What will the qualifying offer number be for Cole?
3. I still think we have a chance to land Cole but with two scenarios
-Crane says just **** it and drops the tailgate of a dumptruck in his front yard because he just won us a WS and with that kind of production it will eventuially pay its self off
-Cole surprises us all and just truly loves this team and is willing to take a small discount to keep playing with his guys. With this I am not saying a crazy discount the dude wants to get paid but maybe Yankees/A's/Angels offer 7 years 300 mill and we offer 6 years 225 mill? Im not a math wiz so I dont know how much you lose in taxes and housing to live and work in new york/ commiefornia but its got to be a lot which brings the numbers closer together plus playing for a team that allows you to compete for rings and get more performance bonuses
mazag08
AG
Look,

If we win tonight or tomorrow, I don't see any reason to chase Cole in FA. Use the money saved to pre-emptively sign Springer (liked we did for Bregs and Altuve), shore up the contracts in the pen, sign a mid level starter, and put ourselves in position to pick up a mid year acquisition.

Without major trades of key players (which I advocated for before the playoffs started), we can't sign Cole and realistically expect to have enough money to keep our stars home when they hit FA.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I think everyone basically agrees signing George at this point is a foregone conclusion....especially if we win a second ring and he possibly wins a second MVP....you dont let that walk out the door
gigemJTH12
AG
mazag08 said:

Look,

If we win tonight or tomorrow, I don't see any reason to chase Cole in FA. Use the money saved to pre-emptively sign Springer (liked we did for Bregs and Altuve), shore up the contracts in the pen, sign a mid level starter, and put ourselves in position to pick up a mid year acquisition.

Without major trades of key players (which I advocated for before the playoffs started), we can't sign Cole and realistically expect to have enough money to keep our stars home when they hit FA.
I really agree with this. Keep our core guys.

gigemJTH12
AG
nm
Charlie Conway
I think we have a really close clubhouse that plays well when they are having fun and staying loose, and I attribute that 100% to George Springer. He sets the tone leading off in the game and controls the music in the clubhouse. You can tell he's always laughing and having a good time with everybody on the team.
Wabs
AG
Cole should go get very dollar that he deserves. If I'm the Astros there is now way I'm coming close to something like 7 years, $300M. There are teams like the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. that will do that (even though they've all been burned by this before). I'd much rather use the money to keep Springer here. Let Luhnow work his magic and find the next "it" starting pitcher in FA or trade.
mm98
AG
jetch17 said:

Were you sitting in the first or second pic? First pic is close to Springers game 7 HR!
Buck Compton
AG
Truth is, we were spoiled this year. Unless you're comfortable over the luxury tax, you can't have an elite team full of veterans every year. You can't expect to be the WS favorite EVERY year. The money isn't there.

You need rookies to come up and produce. Alvarez, Tucker, Whitley, and Urquidy are who will determine how elite we are in a few years. You lock up a few key elite everyday veterans and 1-2 pitchers.

On that note, we are NOT signing Cole. Every interview, even last night, he talks about this opportunity and thanks the players who came before him for negotiating, etc. to allow him this opportunity. He gets to control his destiny. He wants to be closer to home (west of the Rockies), and wants the biggest paycheck. For him, he's lucky that the Angels are in such dire need of a pitcher and will likely be that biggest offer.
Agnzona
I'm guessing the Yankees will go hard after Cole but in the end he is going to one of the LA teams.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
jetch17
AG
mm98 said:

jetch17 said:

Were you sitting in the first or second pic? First pic is close to Springers game 7 HR!
first pic, it landed 1 section to the left of us
Marvin
AG
mazag08 said:

Look,

Agreed.

Let's get this win and enjoy it for five minutes before stressing over 2020... but in the meantime let's not forget that, at worst, we should have Verlander/Greinke/McCullers/Urquidy and Peacock/Whitley/whoever as a starting point with the pitching rotation.
Mathguy64
AG
While I would love to sign Cole, or better yet flip Greinke to resign Cole, I just don't see it. Look at Boston as exhibit A for what financial stress can do. They are in a mess and fired their GM over the heavy contract load. They might not be able to sign Betts because they are so strapped.
Texas A&M
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

While I would love to sign Cole, or better yet flip Greinke to resign Cole, I just don't see it. Look at Boston as exhibit A for what financial stress can do. They are in a mess and fired their GM over the heavy contract load. They might not be able to sign Betts because they are so strapped.
Can you imagine if we signed Cole & Keuchel to long deals and then couldn't sign Bregman when he hit the market? That would be devastating.
Harry Stone
AG
the most important person here is brent strom. we need to find a successor he can groom the next few years. he shows he can take any good pitcher and make them great. would love cole but we need to keep the core and find another good pitcher in the offseason if need be.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Stone said:

the most important person here is brent strom. we need to find a successor he can groom the next few years. he shows he can take any good pitcher and make them great. would love cole but we need to keep the core and find another good pitcher in the offseason if need be.
Any good pitcher? Or is the organization targeting guys being misused who have obvious (to them) opportunities to make easy improvements?

Not trying to discredit Stromy, but I think there is a little more to it.
CoachRTM
AG
Really sucks for Scherzer. He's the dude for that team... and I'm sure he's a fan favorite in the same way Biggio was for the Astros in that era.

I'm sure it's devastating he can't pitch in what would have been arguably the biggest game of his career.
Farmer1906
AG
Now back to the most important topic.

Who gets the start in right tomorrow?

My vote if TED.

Reddick's OPS is only higher than Urquidy, Cole, Greinke, and Diaz (only 2 ABs).

He's made contact 15x (includes foul balls) and has yet to crack 90 MPH exit velo. His hit was smashed a whopping 62.1 MPH/

Teddy Baseball on the other hand show the ability to draw a few walks and actually hit the ball with a little velocity in his very limited ABs. (hard hit foul off of Hudson & a line drive single just under the hard-hit minimum).

suburban cowboy
AG
I will bet you a ticket to Game 6 Tucker doesn't start tonight
Farmer1906
AG
suburban cowboy said:

I will bet you a ticket to Game 6 Tucker doesn't start tonight
yeah yeah yeah

tomorrow

game 6

Ag_07
AG
Reddick and it shouldn't even be a debate.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why is that?
JDUB08AG
AG
The fact that Cole last night said he is going to make the free agency trailblazers before him proud, he is seeking absolutely max dollars. That being said, dude is just honest and has his convictions. At minimum, we were lucky enough for him to reach stardom on our watch. Going to be hard for him to be any better than this.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Why is that?
Gonna need that stellar defense in the outfield. Sheriff Woody doesn't give me that warm fuzzy with his defense just yet
Farmer1906
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Why is that?
Gonna need that stellar defense in the outfield. Sheriff Woody doesn't give me that warm fuzzy with his defense just yet
Just because you don't get warm fuzzies doesn't mean he's a poor defender. TED is just as capable as Reddick out there.
Ag_07
AG
Tucker looks way more awful than Reddick

I can at least give it to you and EE that you're consistent but how anyone can make an augment for Kyle Tucker to start a WS game is beyond me.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Tucker looks way more awful than Reddick
According to who?

He hits the ball harder than Reddick, has drawn walks at a better clip, and is a threat to steal bases. They've both been terrible over their 43 combined ABs, but there is a reason Hinch has been using TED over Reddick in PH situations.

.500 OPS TED vs .408 OPS Reddick.
CoachRTM
AG
I think Marisnick should be the starter.

He's just as likely to go 1-4 as either Reddick or Tucker based on this postseason. The only negative is that Tucker becomes your pinch-runner in a tight ballgame.
First Page Last Page
Page 1965 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.