***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,908,306 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

Prosperdick said:

Harry Dunne said:

People finding things to complain about in a lineup so good that player of the month 7th hitter gets IBBs.

Especially when we RARELY if never IBB anyone, even Mike freaking Trout.
0 IBB for the Astros staff this year.

We don't give away bases or outs.
Exactly...and we're worried about walks to our 7th hole hitter, which 12 years ago was Adam freaking Everett lol.
Thanks for reminding me how old I am.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Prosperdick said:

Exactly...and we're worried about walks to our 7th hole hitter, which 12 years ago was Adam freaking Everett lol.
Disappointed we never got an Adam Everett vs. Tim Bogar home run derby for charity.

Adam Everett hitting 11 home runs in 2005 is like a normal player hitting 95.
W
AG
I haven't followed the Yankees as closely this season but if they ever get healthy...

their 7-8-9 for the playoffs is probably:

C Sanchez....807 OPS
SS Didi.........760 OPS
OF Hicks......769 OPS
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

I haven't followed the Yankees as closely this season but if they ever get healthy...

their 7-8-9 for the playoffs is probably:

C Sanchez....807 OPS
SS Didi.........760 OPS
OF Hicks......769 OPS

Strong
ontheedge
Personally, I'll take Reddick's reach over the wall HR stealing defense over the Tucker lack of urgency in the field (last year in the bigs) everyday of the week.
Farmer1906
AG
ontheedge said:

Personally, I'll take Reddick's reach over the wall HR stealing defense over the Tucker lack of urgency in the field (last year in the bigs) everyday of the week.

He's 0 outs above average this year.
Ag_07
AG
These the same defensive metrics that WAY underestimate Jake's catch probabilities.

But I like where you guys are going. I remember what happened right after the Yuli is old and washed up arguments were being made.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

These the same defensive metrics that WAY underestimate Jake's catch probabilities.

Are we talking josh or Jake?

Jake is +8 outs above average which is really high even though he's not a full time player.

Looking closer at Josh. He's got good reaction but his burst is below average.
Ag_07
AG
Josh

Using Jake as an example of defensive metrics being a bit lacking. I don't put a lot of stock in them.

I would say Josh is an above average OFer. Not elite but above average.
Farmer1906
AG
Which is probably accurate, but his reputation is that he's a plus defensive OF. He's "Spider-Man".
Farmer1906
AG

It's like they read our board.
Quote:

The Zack Greinke trade made the Astros the favorites to win the World Series and they were able to swing the deal without trading their top prospect, who's chasing a 30-30 season in Triple-A after consecutive 20-20 years. Houston could enhance its chances by playing Tucker in right field over Josh Reddick, who continues to trend downward.

Quote:

Whitley began the year as the game's top pitching prospect, only to battle his command and shoulder fatigue for much of the season. He's healthy and starting to look like his old self again, and his arsenal of four plus or better pitches could handle some high-leverage relief innings in October.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Which is probably accurate, but his reputation is that he's a plus defensive OF. He's "Spider-Man".

Just so it's on record, what's your opinion on defensive Josh? Below average, average, or above average?

If you're saying his reputation is a plus defender, what is the bar to clear?

Technically +1 is above average, so would you say +3 or +4 or higher is a plus defender?

It's so freaking hard to compare defenders since you can't as easily compare production side by side. It would be awesome if we could see overlapping ranges based on the average in real time.

While I think Reddick doesn't have the range of most OFers, I think he plays a smart OF.
Beat40
Man, I really want Tucker to rake when he gets his next opportunity up here. To have two young lefties who can really rake would be valuable.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just so it's on record, what's your opinion on defensive Josh? Below average, average, or above average?

If you're saying his reputation is a plus defender, what is the bar to clear?

Technically +1 is above average, so would you say +3 or +4 or higher is a plus defender?

It's so freaking hard to compare defenders since you can't as easily compare production side by side. It would be awesome if we could see overlapping ranges based on the average in real time.

While I think Reddick doesn't have the range of most OFers, I think he plays a smart OF.
I think he's overrated in general. He probably was slightly above average in previous years, but not this year. He's average and trending the wrong direction.
redline248
AG
Are defensive stats available on Tucker in Triple A?
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Are defensive stats available on Tucker in Triple A?

Not that I know of, but I fully expect Tucker to be a worse defender.
AgFan1999
AG
Maybe in the beginning, but wasn't he touted as a five tool player when he was drafted?
CFTXAG10
AG
Just unboxed the tumbler. This thing is sweet! Great work ntouch.
Frok
AG
Can Tucker even be on the playoff roster if he isn't called up before September?
Farmer1906
AG
He's already on the 40 so he should be fine. I think.
tjack16
AG
Reddick is just inconsistent defensively. He's really good at making catches at the wall .... but I've seen him boot a lot of hits off the bounce or fumble a throw back into the infield. Moments of brilliance and moments of head scratching wtf moments
Andyzipp
AG
Frok said:

Can Tucker even be on the playoff roster if he isn't called up before September?

No. Under Major League Rule 40(a)..."For a player to be eligible for the postseason active roster, he must have either been on his club's expanded roster or injured list as of midnight ET on August 31 of that year and not placed on the 60-day injured list after August 1. The one exception is for replacing players on the injured list. Since the 2014 season, an injured player eligible for postseason play may be replaced by any player within his club's organization, including players assigned to the club's minor league affiliates who are not on the major league 40-man roster."

Prior to 2014, only players who were on a club's 40-man roster (including those added to the expanded roster after August 31, who would not otherwise be eligible for the postseason) at the conclusion of the regular season were eligible to replace injured players on postseason rosters."
Prosperdick
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Maybe in the beginning, but wasn't he touted as a five tool player when he was drafted?
Speed - yes
Power - in the minors, yes
Hitting for average - Not this year in the minors
Fielding - Didn't show it last year when called up
Arm strength - Not sure, but he probably has a decent arm, haven't watched him in the minors
07ag
AG
Frok said:

he's on the 40 man, should be good to go. i remember a few years ago a royals player made his mlb debut in the world series
https://ts.la/eric59704
spadilly
S
W
AG
Yankees already pounding the Blue Jays 5-0 in the 3rd.

you know in the old days when a team started an 11-game stretch vs. bad teams...7-4 or 8-3 was the expected record. Now it's 10-1 or 11-0
Mathguy64
AG
And that makes the losses to Baltimore and Cincy all the worse.
JABQ04
AG
2 game series are stupid.
Marvin
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Just unboxed the tumbler. This thing is sweet! Great work ntouch.

Mrs. Marvin loved her tumbler as well!
Agnzona
Preseason football sucks compared to Astros Baseball.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Mathguy64
AG
Agnzona said:

Preseason football sucks.
Yeah. FIFY.
W
AG
oh my, Keuchel getting rocked tonight in Miami by the meager Marlins (42-71).

given up 10 hits and 8 runs in less than 4 innings of work.

however it might have been a lot of soft contact
W
AG
not sure if all 8 runs are going to be earned due to an error in the Marlins' big inning.

Keuchel's ERA should go north of 4.50 which is pretty bad in the national league
astros4545
AG
Braves must be using the shift as well
Kashchei
AG
W said:

oh my, Keuchel getting rocked tonight in Miami by the meager Marlins (42-71).

given up 10 hits and 8 runs in less than 4 innings of work.

however it might have been a lot of soft contact

First Page Last Page
Page 801 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.