***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,904,994 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

We should be able to do better than a guy who is playing well enough for the first time in his career to be coveted.
There's the no brainer JV/Cole types, and those guys aren't cheap And then there are the reclamation projects like McHugh, Morton and Miley who can be had for cheap...and none of those guys were particularly coveted at all, so a guy being coveted for the first time is already ahead of where they were when we picked them up.

IMO the organization's biggest strength is identifying cheap pitchers with upside. Everybody knows who the stud pitchers are and I think we are passing up on the chance to use our best organizational quality if we just get into a bidding war for the obvious choices.

Not to say we shouldn't take the opportunity if we can get one for a reasonable price, but I would rather keep our MiLB system intact and get another Miley than I would give up the farm for anyone else.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
sts7049 said:

random thought - i wonder if strom could work any wonders with matt harvey?

He spent nearly two months on the IL with a back problem. Based on his time with the Mets, he's a head case. Aside from one good year, he's fine nothing. I would think the Astros pass.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Incredibly unlikely but if the nats would go on a losing streak and sell I'd be willing to give up tucker and Whitley for scherzer.

One can dream
Gap
AG
I really pulling for a good start from Urquidy tonight. We need an additional starting arm to step up and give us something positive to talk about and consider.
Prosperdick
AG
Gap said:

I really pulling for a good start from Urquidy tonight. We need an additional starting arm to step up and give us something positive to talk about and consider.
Blum made a good point last night and I'm worried we'll see it tonight...he said these travel days usually aren't felt until the second game, so a blow out by the rangerettes wouldn't surprise me, especially with who is on the bump.
Ag_07
AG
I wouldn't be upset with a Boyd acquisition is it wasn't our only move.

Get Boyd using the higher end pieces then MadBum on the cheaper side would work.

Question about MadBum...He has a no trade with us and multiple contenders. Is he gonna pull a Chris Paul and say he won't waive his no trade if we don't commit to signing him after this season?
Agmaniacmike12
I think MadBum will go wherever he is traded to knowing he is a free agent at the end of this year. He would be going to a contender. I think his price has likely went up with his recent performance. Also, the Giants are making a run at a wild card spot in the NL, they may pull back on selling now or command a high price for a rental.

Pitchers are expensive, so I don't see them adding 2 pieces, a controllable starter will be costly no matter who it is. If the Dbacks eat a chunk of Greinke's salary, I expect the front office to go that route, although it is still unclear if they will be sellers.

The reason why I think Madbum could still be worth a top 5 team prospect as a rental is that his market is expected to be in the Keuchel range, maybe slightly higher, which is affordable for us, especially if we have a market for Reddick in the offseason.
bearkatag15
AG

No Altuve today.
Ag_07
AG
The only reason I ask is that he put only contenders on his not trade list for a reason.

I think that was a move to get leverage to getting a new deal. Otherwise why not put the trash team you don't wanna play for on your list? Instead he out teams that he thought would want to trade for him.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes. I agree that's exactly why he did that.
KC_Ag14
AG
Ag_07 said:

The only reason I ask is that he put only contenders on his not trade list for a reason.

I think that was a move to get leverage to getting a new deal. Otherwise why not put the trash team you don't wanna play for on your list? Instead he out teams that he thought would want to trade for him.

100%
BMX Bandit
It's not so much about leverage for a new deal as it is money now. Baumgartner wants to hit the open market. He doesn't want an extension with new team.

Having this no trade clause puts him in a position to get something now. He will agree to waive no trade if giants or new team give something to him for 2019

The list doesn't include garbage teams because he knows they aren't trading for him
iBrad
AG
By putting the teams most likely to trade for him in his no trade clause, it essentially gives him a full no trade clause and lets him decide where he wants to go, if anywhere at all.
sts7049
AG
hinch said the other day he would look to give the regulars some rest this weekend
Andyzipp
AG
Ag_07 said:

Thought process isn't necessarily about a new contract as much as forcing the Giants to give him cash to accept whatever trade they work out.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Andyzipp said:

Ag_07 said:

Thought process isn't necessarily about a new contract as much as forcing the Giants to give him cash to accept whatever trade they work out.

The Giants have been playing better lately, and they're within reach of the NL wild card. Bumgardner strikes me as the kind of guy who might reject a trade if he thinks the team has playoff potential.
RC_57
AG
Going tomorrow (Sunday).

So who is on the bump? Armenteros (sp?)?
Ag_07
AG
Playoff potential vs playoff guarantee plus whatever money he can squeeze out of the Giants for accepting a trade

Plus the Giants may still wanna sell him if they think they're losing him in the off-season.
redline248
AG
Was Bregman hit by a pitch, yesterday?
AggiEE
redline248 said:

Yeah 97 mph fastball to the head

Thankfully he's fine
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redline248 said:

In the dome
AggiEE
sts7049 said:

hinch said the other day he would look to give the regulars some rest this weekend

Yeah it'll be nice to get Correa back

With so many stars in our lineup it seems like every game one of them gets a rest.

This will obviously change in the playoffs but it always seems like our lineup isn't at full potential
Teddy Perkins
AG
There ya go Urkeeding!
gougler08
AG
2 Ks in the first inning, that's a good start
bearkatag15
AG
Well I expect George to be pulled after that AB. Something with his knee or back it looks like
Mathguy64
AG
No George. Please do not torque your back like that. I'm begging you.
Bregxit
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Well I expect George to be pulled after that AB. Something with his knee or back it looks like

Yep
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Back...please let this not be another Correa situation...
jetch17
AG
Esp against the sh*tty rangers
aTm2004
AG
It's good to be JV.

https://instagr.am/p/B0JoxmQnB6h
bearkatag15
AG
I think George is ok
JABQ04
AG
Quiet tonight.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. George is good to go.
cap-n-jack
My back hurts just watching him. But he good.
gougler08
AG
Brantley is so good
First Page Last Page
Page 640 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.