***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,888,209 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I don't think he was low balled I think he just wanted the extra year and TB gave it to him.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but now looking back we look foolish not offering that. If Morton is still on this team we would be in a much better situation.

n_touch
Quote:

The day their last offer came in, that was a rough day. That was a rough day for me.
Still doesn't mean he was lowballed. Just was not the offer that he wanted. There is a difference in the two. Everyone makes it sound like the Astros offered him way less and expected him to take it. There offer was inline with the other teams per year, just not for as long.
Wabs
AG
I'm sure the Rays would listen to a trade offer for CFM. Really wish we would try to make it happen. Add him and another starter and let's try to win another championship.
BMX Bandit
Wabs said:

I'm sure the Rays would listen to a trade offer for CFM. Really wish we would try to make it happen. Add him and another starter and let's try to win another championship.
Why would a team leading the wild card race and only 5 games back in the division trade their best pitcher?
Harry Dunne
It's a 2-yr, $30M. I'm not sure why everyone around here thinks it's three years.

It is reported everywhere as a 2-year contract because the 3rd year is a club option, meaning the club can choose not to exercise it at all. While it's true that the option does get cheaper if he is injured & doesn't play, even if he wins the Cy Young in 2020 Tampa Bay could choose to not exercise the option.

So the reports of a lowball offer are most definitely true. He implied in the interview that we could've had him for anything close to the two-year $30 million offer with what amounts to a meaningless club option that we could always choose not to exercise.

I love Luhnow out but he really choked on this one.
n_touch
How much did they offer him? I have seen nothing as to the amount that was actually offered. Perhaps they did not offer the QO and offered him 20 mil for 1 year instead of 30/2. That would not be a low ball offer, just less of a contract than Tampa. I agree that Lunhow missed, but that does not mean they low balled him.

Wabs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Why would a team leading the wild card race and only 5 games back in the division trade their best pitcher?
They traded Chris Archer last season while still in the wild card mix and 2 months left in the season. I'm not saying the Rays WOULD trade CFM, I'm saying they would listen. I think it's worth seeing what they'd want for him. If they want too much (likely), then move on. But you never know unless you ask the question.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
It would make no sense to offer him more than the QO and not offer him the actual QO. There is a draft pick benefit to him rejecting the offer which we missed out on.

Really the only common sense logic is that we didn't offer him the QO because we thought he might take it and we weren't even willing to do that. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason not to have offered it.
BMX Bandit
Wabs said:

BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

They traded Chris Archer last season while still in the wild card mix and 2 months left in the season. I'm not saying the Rays WOULD trade CFM, I'm saying they would listen. I think it's worth seeing what they'd want for him. If they want too much (likely), then move on. But you never know unless you ask the question.
the Rays were 10 games out of the wild card when they traded Archer, who was not having anything close to the season Morton is having this year.
Ag_07
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Really the only common sense logic is that we didn't offer him the QO because we thought he might take it and we weren't even willing to do that. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason not to have offered it.
rosco511
AG
Yep, blame Colby Rasmus on this one. I think his accepting the QO that one year has impacted the way our front office views and uses the QO.
Mr.Ackar07
rosco511 said:

Yep, blame Colby Rasmus on this one. I think his accepting the QO that one year has impacted the way our front office views and uses the QO.
It was worth it just for this:

CFTXAG10
AG
Looking at the schedule the rest of July and it looks like we have at least 4 or 5 games that would not have Verlander, Cole, or Miley starting. Wonder if Luhnow will wait right up until the deadline to make a deal, and keep the revolving AAA door open.
Ag_07
AG
He may be forced to wait.

So many teams (especially in the NL) are still close enough they may not decide to be sellers until the last minute. Think that's one reason why we haven't seen much significant movement being only 2 weeks out from the deadline.
bearkatag15
AG

Add this dude to the 40 man roster today and get him up here to help.
BMX Bandit
Its not just Luhnow waiting until the deadline.

the GMs of the teams with the coveted pitchers are going to hold out as long as they can also to get the best return.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Add this dude to the 40 man roster today and get him up here to help.
Just remember that urkeeding had similar stats before he was called up
Farmer1906
AG
He's got 2 half seasons in AA (last year and this). ERA in the mid 3s. You sure about that?
Ag_07
AG
HOLY HELL...The NL is crazy.

I just went to check the standings and every team besides the Mets and Marlins are with 3.5 of a WC spot.
The Milkman
AG
Last place in the NL Central (Reds and Pirates) are only 5.5 out. Every other division's 2nd place is team is further back than that.

Edit: Oops. Rays won and Yankees lost. Now they are 5 back. But still.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

HOLY HELL...The NL is crazy.

I just went to check the standings and every team besides the Mets and Marlins are with 3.5 of a WC spot.
But I thought half the league was tanking.
W
AG
some good news...Cole, Miley, and Verlander are lined up to face Oakland at MMP next week.

also the A's are at Minnesota this weekend for 4 games
The Milkman
AG
W said:

some good news...Cole, Miley, and Verlander are lined up to face Oakland at MMP next week.

also the A's are at Minnesota this weekend for 4 games
Maybe that could be tough little 7 game stretch for them
AgFan1999
AG
I still say the A's series with Seattle isn't a cake walk.
KC_Ag14
AG
Wonder if Luhnow and Co. are inquiring about Caleb Smith w/ Miami. Guy has looked impressive this year. He's already 27 years old, but he's really inexpensive the new couple of years. Also a Huntsville native! Wonder if the Marlins would take another bat other than Tucker for him...
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I'd take him as our mediocre acquisition as an inning eating #5

Looks like he gives up a lot of HRs (1.73/9 innings) but he's only had one start out of 14 where he's gone less than 5. Of those 14 he's had 8 where he went 6+
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
TINSTAAPP is a real damn thing... Tha'ts for sure.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/07/16/mlb-trade-deadline-deals-wed-like-see-get-done/1724103001/

Quote:

Madison Bumgarner to the Astros
Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole are two of the best in the game and Wade Miley has been good, but Houston's rotation has been shaky beyond those three. Even though he's not as dominant as five years ago, Bumgarner brings the postseason pedigree and bulldog mentality that could prove crucial in what's going to be a hard-fought October.
The Giants don't have much leverage since Bumgarner is a free agent this winter, so the Astros probably wouldn't have to part with a top prospect like Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley in order to land the 29-year-old lefty.

Post removed:
by user
Gap
AG
Farmer1906 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/07/16/mlb-trade-deadline-deals-wed-like-see-get-done/1724103001/

Quote:

Madison Bumgarner to the Astros
Justin Verlander and Gerrit Cole are two of the best in the game and Wade Miley has been good, but Houston's rotation has been shaky beyond those three. Even though he's not as dominant as five years ago, Bumgarner brings the postseason pedigree and bulldog mentality that could prove crucial in what's going to be a hard-fought October.
The Giants don't have much leverage since Bumgarner is a free agent this winter, so the Astros probably wouldn't have to part with a top prospect like Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley in order to land the 29-year-old lefty.

I'd be all for that trade but I'd also settle for his older brother Malcolm Bumgarner if Malcolm could give us 6 innings and allow 3 runs on most times through his spot in the rotation.
Deluxe
AG
Do you still not want him?
Ag_07
AG
Wonder what kind of contract he's looking for as a FA?

I'd love to have him but I don't want to lose him after this season then back to square one with a patchwork rotation behind JV and post-TJ Lance.

No doubt he'd be a nice fit for a playoff run but he's a rental. Maybe he's the second-tier acquisition and Luhnow gets a Stroman, Bauer, Syndergaard type as the headline deal.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

Wonder what kind of contract he's looking for as a FA?

I'd love to have him but I don't want to lose him after this season then back to square one with a patchwork rotation behind JV and post-TJ Lance.

No doubt he'd be a nice fit for a playoff run but he's a rental. Maybe he's the second-tier acquisition and Luhnow gets a Stroman, Bauer, Syndergaard type as the headline deal.
I'd be pleased if we add MadBum and Bauer
First Page Last Page
Page 610 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.