***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,946 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

Right now it's a coin flip and I expect MLB would say Detroit. Win a second CY and another WS and I think it flips.
He needs another WS for sure. If he wins a Cy Young this year, he's still going to need another here. That's when they would START thinking about it. I think he needs to pitch here until age 42 or so (6-7 more years) for it to actually happen. He accumulated too many stats in DET.
Mr President Elect
AG
Any chance JV starts creeping in on the MVP discussion. His era the year he won it was 2.40 (currently at 2.56). Trout is playing on a team that is irrelevant. He leads all of mlb in innings per start in a year with especially shaky bullpens.
Prosperdick
AG
Buck Compton said:

mathguy86 said:

Right now it's a coin flip and I expect MLB would say Detroit. Win a second CY and another WS and I think it flips.
He needs another WS for sure. If he wins a Cy Young this year, he's still going to need another here. That's when they would START thinking about it. I think he needs to pitch here until age 42 or so (6-7 more years) for it to actually happen. He accumulated too many stats in DET.
Does anyone know what the official rule is for uniform in the HOF? I think it used to the player's preference but now I heard the committee does it but regardless, I agree, he will need a LOT more hardware for him to be considered. Good news is his idol is Nolan Ryan.
expresswrittenconsent
I didnt know his idol was Nolan but that no-no felt nolanesque, from the complete game 2 hitter loss a few days ago, to the 14ks and lack of run support.
W
AG
that's the frustrating thing about the media handing Trout the MVP award in May.

he never has a meaningful at-bat after the all-star break. It's all no pressure -- playing out the string -- the last 2 months of the year.

the voters need to channel their inner 1990 when Rickey Henderson won the MVP for having a great season on the 1st place A's...and Cecil Fielder and his 50 HR's for the last place Tigers came in second
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
Yordan in LF today. No Tucker yet.

Miller Park is a home run paradise
Deluxe
AG
If Bregman finishes the year hot (gets his fWAR close to 8 and OPS 1.050), plus works his headline stats above .300 with 40+ HRs, and he leads the Astros to home field and 104+ wins, and Trout has a meh month of September, I wonder if he can slide in through the MVP back door
W
AG
and Jake missed his window.

with Reddick struggling and Tucker in AAA, Marisnick posted a hefty .570 OPS in 50 at-bats in August. Only drew 2 walks. He was bad.

time to go back to full-time defensive replacement
W
AG
he needs to feast this week at Miller Park and then back home vs. the Mariners (for 4 games).

would be important to reach the 40-HR plateau
Mr.Bond
AG
Baseball is interesting compared to the other 2 major sports in terms of MVP. Typically speaking your team must be a playoff team or at the very least be in contention to be considered for the award.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr President Elect
AG
Myles was sporting a very healthy obp for a while. I know the best case scenario would be to have either Reddick or Tucker turn it on in September, but if not; I wouldn't mind seeing if Straw can get back in rythm and possibly leadoff (although I know Hinch wouldn't do this). A high on-base guy that sees a lot of pitches and could be a terror on the bases to lead off and then 2-8 of power to follow it up and drive him home.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

time to go back to full-time defensive replacement

This just in...Jake sucks at the plate. He is what he is and that's nothing more a 4th OFer.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Tucker's expected September numbers per TexAgs

31 HR, 77 RBI, .683 BA, 1.323 SLG
Fslip01
Any thoughts as to why the game would be blacked out on ESPN in Texas?
bearkatag15
AG
Fslip01 said:

Any thoughts as to why the game would be blacked out on ESPN in Texas?

Astros likely got bumped from espn bc the rangers Yankees game was delayed almost 3 hours and they were the game before

Edit: looks like it's on ESPN News
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mr President Elect
AG
if its not blacked out, it is on espn news as well as the espn app
dshedd41
S
Its on ATT Sportsnet as well
Gig’em Aggies!
bearkatag15
AG
If nothing else, we are making Houser work. Full counts for 1st 3 batters.
dshedd41
S
Attaboy Bregman
Gig’em Aggies!
Mathguy64
AG
Happy Labor Day everyone. What a day. No work. Astros on in the afternoon. Ribs are out of the wrap and being glazed. Lunch around 4:00. JV's arm looks to still be attached to his body and I have tickets for his next start Saturday. All in all its a great day.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
is daunting for Cole to know he needs to throw a perfect game and strike out 15 batters to get back ahead in the Cy Young race?
bearkatag15
AG
Well tough start for Cole
Mathguy64
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

is daunting for Cole to know he needs to throw a perfect game and strike out 15 batters to get back ahead in the Cy Young race?
Well that should settle things. Cole just wanted to make it clear that he thinks JV should win it.
AggiEE
JV, while being a power pitcher, doesn't rely on it as much as Cole.

I think JV is adjusting to the increase in HRs by throwing more offspeed stuff, I don't think Cole can transition to that as effectively....so he will continue giving up lots of solo HRs.
Mathguy64
AG
Watching that throw again from Toro, he almost air mailed it. Yikes
AggiEE
Bregman bringing that average up lately

he's putting up monster numbers this year. well worth the extension...glad we gave it to him over Correa.
cap-n-jack
Bregman comes thru
AggiEE
Yordan has had a lot of pitches to hit but it seems like his timing is off..keeps fouling them off.
3B Paul 97
AG
Yordan seems to be hitting his first real funk.
mwm
Seems like some of the shine is coming off..
BCSGrubber
AG
Rookie Wall maybe
cap-n-jack
Put 89 pitches on this guy already
Mathguy64
AG
Hundo. Cole is loose.
bearkatag15
AG
9Ks in first 11 outs... that's ridiculous
First Page Last Page
Page 970 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.