***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,153 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags #1 said:

Wasn't called all game and crossed about at his shins

Just below mid-shin. It wasn't even close.
titanmaster_race
It was a very late call too, which I think pissed Reddick off more
mwm
I wonder if we'll see that particular crew again this season? They seemed to have a burr in the blanket for the 'stros.
agdaddy04
AG
Sure is weird to score in 7 innings and lose. Just couldn't put up the crooked numbers today or keep TB from answering.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Big leaguers must continue to harass the umps and not give them an inch. The blow ups from Verlander, Trouts and Judges will lead to robot umps faster
AggiEE
These blowouts from our bullpen are going to prevent us from having home field advantage.

We shouldn't lose games like today. Hinch needs to be very careful before he puts Devo in. With his ERA he gives up at least 1 run the majority of the time he's in the game. He basically shouldn't be in the game unless we have a few runs of margin
Faustus
I feel for the guy, but he's been trending the wrong way for a while now.

2016 - ERA 2.16 WAR 2.8
2017 - ERA 2.68 WAR 2.0
2018 - ERA 4.18 WAR .1
2019 - ERA 5.28 WAR (-.2)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/devench02.shtml

You don't see many Devo hats behind home plate anymore, and we have two more years of this.

Ag_07
AG
Few items worth noting

Quote:

Hard-throwing right-hander Josh James is scheduled to pitch Thursday in what could be his final Triple-A rehab outing. That means he could be activated from the injured list when rosters expand on Sunday. James has been out since July 23 with right shoulder soreness.

Sanchez (right pectoral soreness) and Brad Peacock (right shoulder discomfort) won't travel with the team to Toronto this weekend and aren't playing catch. Once they start playing catch, the Astros will have a better timeline for their return. No update on their condition is expected until next week.

Shortstop Carlos Correa, on the IL since Aug. 20 with back discomfort, has yet to start swinging a bat and won't travel to Toronto.

All-Star reliever Ryan Pressly, who had surgery on his right knee last week, is doing "quite well," manager AJ Hinch said, and he could start some soft throwing without torquing his knee to keep his arm strength up. That will happen this weekend.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Few items worth noting

Quote:

Hard-throwing right-hander Josh James is scheduled to pitch Thursday in what could be his final Triple-A rehab outing. That means he could be activated from the injured list when rosters expand on Sunday. James has been out since July 23 with right shoulder soreness.

James did pitch last night.

2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

Can a guy who's played 62 games be Rookie of the Year?

Somebody has to be the American League Rookie of the Year. Why not our favorite Astros hulkster, Yordan Alvarez despite the slight technicality that he's appeared in fewer games than, say, Yusmeiro Petit?

Yeah, yeah. It's true that Air Yordan didn't arrive in the big leagues until the second week of June. Not his fault. So I'm guessing the Eloy Jimnez Fan Club (and all those other rookies who arrived in March or April) will be offended if I present the argument that Alvarez has positioned himself as The Guy in this derby. But let's present it anyway.

In just 62 games, this man has been such an unstoppable offensive force that one AL exec actually said this week: "Think of the best left-handed hitter in the American League. Now make a case it's not Yordan Alvarez."

Ummm, that's going to be a challenge. Take a look at the left-handed AL OPS leader board (minimum: 250 PA):

OPS
HR
XBH
PA
Yordan Alvarez
Joey Gallo
Rafael Devers
Michael Brantley

All right, so it's fair to pick Devers or Brantley based on sample size alone. Doesn't matter, because this is only about whether Alvarez ought to win Rookie of the Year.

Say he plays in 23 of the Astros' final 27 games this season. That would give him 85 big-league games played. Let the record show that three Rookies of the Year in history played in fewer than 90 games that season: Willie McCovey (52 games in 1959), Ryan Howard (88 games in 2005) and Wil Myers (88 games in 2013).

So there's precedent, if a guy has done enough mind-warping stuff, for Alvarez to win this thing. And, well, is this list mind-warping enough? It includes the only rookies in history who have had an OPS within 75 points of Alvarez (minimum: 250 PA).

YEAR
OPS
PA
TEAM
Yordan Alvarez
Astros
Joe Jackson
Indians
Aaron Judge
Yankees
Ted Williams
Red Sox

With apologies to Eloy, Vladdy, Brandon Lowe, John Means, the on-rushing Bo Bichette and others, that's good enough for me!

AgFan1999
AG
They gave the NL ROY to Ryan Howard over Willy Taveras in a similar games played situation (Yes, I know the power numbers were nowhere near close that year).
bearkatag15
AG

Astros could be returning a favor to the Rays from the Harvey games relocation
Jackal99
AG
That would be awesome to see. Good chance to pay one back.
Bregxit
AG
Jackal99 said:

That would be awesome to see. Good chance to pay one back.
Would be really awesome if a bunch of our fans could show up and support them as well! I'll be looking into it if they come to town.
TMACsDaMan
So much for Thirsty Thursday's

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things!
Mr.Bond
AG
Cholos ruin it for everyone
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mathguy64
AG
Correa can't throw a punch any more than he can stay healthy.
Ag_07
AG
I'll be shocked if he comes back before playoffs and I'll be even more shocked if he's effective after he comes back.
PSully97
AG
Over his next 134 ABs Yordan would have to go 13 for 134 (.097...whoop) with 1 HR and 42 Ks to have the same numbers as Jimenez.

Also he'd have to have -9 doubles and -13 walks.
bearkatag15
AG

Jomboy's breakdown of the Reddick ejection yesterday... the hair flip edition..
Mathguy64
AG
That call was soooooo bad.
Agnzona
That crew was horrible. Robot umps cannot get here soon enough.
sts7049
AG
you guys crying for robot umps are ridiculous

baseball has been fine for what, 100 years without them? it is an interesting idea but if you think robots solve the problem it's nuts. sht happens sometimes. move on.
Prosperdick
AG
mathguy86 said:

That call was soooooo bad.
Halfway down his shin...just absolutely awful. That lazy ass blue was scared it might go extras and he's have to work OT, what a POS.
Phrasing
AG
Baseball was fine before we had lights in the stadiums and just had day games. But sometime we evolve and find ways to improve an already fine product.
Teddy Perkins
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Deluxe
AG
Phrasing said:

Baseball was fine before we had lights in the stadiums and just had day games. But sometime we evolve and find ways to improve an already fine product.
I kinda wish there was just a tennis line call "challenge" solution to balls and strikes.

Like tennis line judges, baseball umps who call balls and strikes get 99% of the calls right. For the majority of situations, it's faster/more efficient to let them do the job. But sometimes they miss and sometimes it happens at crucial moments. Current technology offers an easy way to remedy errors on the spot in less than 5 seconds (like tennis).

Just give each pitcher/hitter a couple challenges to use each AB. Quickly show on the jumbotron where the pitch was. Shouldn't take more than 5 seconds. If it hit any of the line, it's a strike. Otherwise it's a ball.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Man. That Skaggs deal. Nobody wanted to say it but I bet we all thought about it. Just crushingly sad.

Opioids are bad juju. Fentanyl and opioids together are a death sentence. It's just a matter of when.
mwm
Let me say that I like you guys who post about the Astros. Please, please, don't do that stuff. I want you here posting about baseball. Thank you.
SW-14
AG
Yeah, I figured it was drug related. 27 year olds don't usually just drop dead. Sad news.
Post removed:
by user
newsjunkie
Heard the family has hired Rusty Hardin to investigate where the drugs came from. So unbelievably sad for everyone involved...so young and so much ahead of him.
Be to her virtures very kind; be to her faults a little blind. Lord Byron
Baseball-Junkie
It's game time!
First Page Last Page
Page 956 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.