***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,058 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How did he do in 2015 against the royals?
Ags #1
AG
All I'm saying is people want to put him as closer now and do what with pressley and osuba? So it's osuna pressley Harris now? Just don't see aj doing that
W
AG
it will continue to be interesting to see what the Astros do with George.

Springer will turn 30 in September...which means he'll turn 31 next September going into his free agency (after the 2020 season).

how many years do you want to commit to a 31-year old outfielder? I'd say 4 years is the max for the Astros, but George may want more

bearkatag15
AG
Padres with a nice 2 run comeback in the 8th and 9th vs the Dodgers to push it to extras or even a possible walk off
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Padres with a nice 2 run comeback in the 8th and 9th vs the Dodgers to push it to extras or even a possible walk off
10th inning we go...
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Harris is the best reliever on the team...

fight me..

How dare you say Harris is any good?!

Remember when y'all didn't even want him on the playoff roster last year.
Ags #1
AG
He seems to be better this year. I'm sure his advance metrics say he is the same pitcher but he sure seems to not give up HRs or other runners he inherits which he seemed to do last year
Ags #1
AG
Honest question though, how should the playoff bullpen go? What order?
Silent For Too Long
Unless Press doesn't come back right or Osuna crumbles down the stretch I think it's likely you see the same order for those 3. Even though Harris is pitching the best I doubt you see AJ change it up much, although you may see him give Harris the meater part of the order between 7, 8, and maybe even 9.

If starter goes 7 I see him pitch whowever is fresher between the two. I could also see him stretching them more, particularly on the games before a day off.

Take a look at 17. AJ started the playoffs similar to how he had the season, but when some arms struggled he mixed it up, particularly in both game 7s.
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

I was Pressly in the highest leverage situations assuming he comes back to anything near what he was. Osuna, Harris, then... Joe Smith and Devo? I'd have to take a little deeper dive.
JABQ04
AG
Ags #1 said:

JV, Cole, Greinke all pitch complete games. No bullpen needed. They can rest after the season.
Furlock Bones
AG

can easily make out MMP left sideline and left field wall.
titanmaster_race
I'm back in town for labor day weekend, and we're going to the thirsty Thursday businessman's special today to see Greinke pitch. This is my first game back at MMP since Game 5 of the World Series!
Harry Dunne
jkag89 said:

Harry Dunne said:

It must suck for Tucker to see Yordan come up and be everything everyone thought that he would be. Hopefully he will rise to the challenge.
Yordan is way better than most rookies have a right to be. It is unfair to expect any prospect to be producing these sorts of numbers.
Obviously, but the point remains - it was supposed to be Tucker that came up and mashed.

It's unfair to expect Tucker to match Alvarez but it IS fair to expect him to come up and produce, especially after all the hype. I'm looking forward to seeing if he's up for the challenge.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

jkag89 said:

Harry Dunne said:

It must suck for Tucker to see Yordan come up and be everything everyone thought that he would be. Hopefully he will rise to the challenge.
Yordan is way better than most rookies have a right to be. It is unfair to expect any prospect to be producing these sorts of numbers.
Obviously, but the point remains - it was supposed to be Tucker that came up and mashed.

It's unfair to expect Tucker to match Alvarez but it IS fair to expect him to come up and produce, especially after all the hype. I'm looking forward to seeing if he's up for the challenge.
Creates a chip on his shoulder and an extra fire. Might be a good thing in the long run.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Harris is the best reliever on the team...

fight me..

How dare you say Harris is any good?!

Remember when y'all didn't even want him on the playoff roster last year.
Last year was last year. Things change.

I have always been on the "Harris is better than his ERA" side, but in fairness he was pretty awful last year until August. Then he gave up a run in his only postseason inning and he has been garbage in the postseason so far in his career, so it would be hard to argue against the people that wanted to leave him off.
Harry Dunne
That's what I was thinking too. It's hard to judge just on appearances, but it looked like he was lacking some fire last year. I hope he comes up hangry this time.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is some perspective on Alvarez's rookie season.

I looked back the last 100 years (1920) for rookies with at least 250 PAs. Yordan is currently at 261.

Top 10 seasons by wRC+
1. 2019 Alvarez - 189
2. 2017 Judge - 172
3. 1970 Carbo - 170
4. 2013 Abreau - 167
5. 2012 Trout- 167
6. 1920 Nicholson - 167
7. 1964 Carty - 165
8. 1972 Fisk - 165
9. 1964 Allen - 162
10. Lynn 1975 - 161

Top 10 seasons by OPS
1. 2019 Alvarez - 1.120
2. 2017 Judge - 1.049
3. 1939 Williams - 1.045
4. 1930 Watkins - 1.037
5. 1925 Paschal - 1.028
6. 1937 York - 1.026
7. 1930 Fisher - 1.019
8. 1925 Rice - 1.018
9. 2001 Pujols - 1.013
10. 1970 Carbo - 1.004

The major difference is most these guys had seasons of 400-650 PAs. The point still stands, Yordan is in extremely rare air.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Here is some perspective on Alvarez's rookie season.

I looked back the last 100 years (1920) for rookies with at least 250 PAs. Yordan is currently at 261.

Top 10 seasons by wRC+
1. 2019 Alvarez - 189
2. 2017 Judge - 172
3. 1970 Carbo - 170
4. 2013 Abreau - 167
5. 2012 Trout- 167
6. 1920 Nicholson - 167
7. 1964 Carty - 165
8. 1972 Fisk - 165
9. 1964 Allen - 162
10. Lynn 1975 - 161

Top 10 seasons by OPS
1. 2019 Alvarez - 1.120
2. 2017 Judge - 1.049
3. 1939 Williams - 1.045
4. 1930 Watkins - 1.037
5. 1925 Paschal - 1.028
6. 1937 York - 1.026
7. 1930 Fisher - 1.019
8. 1925 Rice - 1.018
9. 2001 Pujols - 1.013
10. 1970 Carbo - 1.004

The major difference is most these guys had seasons of 400-650 PAs. The point still stands, Yordan is in extremely rare air.

Sick
PSully97
AG
Ags #1 said:

All I'm saying is people want to put him as closer now and do what with pressley and osuba? So it's osuna pressley Harris now? Just don't see aj doing that
I like that AJ sticks with his guys during the regular season. It paid off big with Yuli and hopefully will also with Reddick and Osuna. Relievers go through slumps too. These guys are all going to pitch and I don't think Osuna struggling in the 7th of a tight game is any less damaging than in the 9th.

Regardless, AJ forgets about "roles" and spares no feelings in the playoffs. I'm sure he will play the hot hand again when it counts.

Beat40
Harry Dunne said:

jkag89 said:

Harry Dunne said:

I honestly don't expect much out of him because it's September and we're in the middle of a home field advantage race. I don't even know how much he plays this coming month.

I think we won't know what we have with him until he gets consistent MLB at bats.
safety guy
AG
JABQ04 said:

Ags #1 said:

JV, Cole, Greinke all pitch complete games. No bullpen needed. They can rest after the season.

Doubt Cole will ever pitch a complete game in the future. Throws way too many pitches. Now, in a 6th or 7th game of a World Series pitch the heck out of him. The after effects will be another team's issue.
bearkatag15
AG

This seems like a good reclamation project for Storm. Solid career numbers. Not sure what the background was on why he has been in AAA all year though
Deluxe
AG
I think our 8 man playoff bullpen right now looks something like this:

1. Osuna - Lock
2. Harris - Lock
3. Pressly - Lock assuming health
4. Smith - Virtual lock, has a niche (righties OPS .429 against him), been solid in 18 appearances (3.58 FIP not terrible), arm should be fresh for October
5. Sanchez - probably gets "long man" spot if healthy

Candidates for the last three spots:

-Peacock - health questionable
-JJ - health/consistency questionable
-Rondon - hasn't been that good this year
-Devo - see Rondon
-McHugh - see Devo
-Biagini - see McHugh (6.55 FIP since arriving in Houston)

This is going to sound like the most ignorant, ill-informed take of all time and I'm sure I'll get mashed for it, but here it goes... I think we should give Whitley a shot in September. If our 6-8 bullpen spots were essentially locked up, there would be no need. But given the inconsistency and uncertainty at the back end of the bullpen and Whitley's stuff/upside, I would be down with giving him some low leverage innings to see if he can acclimate and then build him up if he's successful. If he doesn't perform, we don't lose anything.

I know walks have been an issue. Attitude has allegedly been an issue. He's gotten hit around a few times by mid-level minor leaguers. Etc. But he has great stuff and could potentially eat some innings for us when it counts. Since we have basically nothing to lose, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do.
BMX Bandit
Thought for sure AJ would rest a regular today. Nope.

dshedd41
S
Astros Wallpaper with Yordan reference

Gig’em Aggies!
Andyzipp
AG
Has Rondon played his way onto the playoff roster? He's got an ERA below 2 in his August (9 appearances/10.2 IP), and other than the month of July (when he flat sucked), he's put up respectable numbers. He's been especially effective against lefthanded hitters (.203 BAA, .284 OBA)
Marvin
AG
Furlock Bones said:

can easily make out MMP left sideline and left field wall.

Oakland's the bottom left and right outlier? Aren't they the last multi-purpose stadium?

Edit: actually it looks like there are two... Toronto?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
ALDS - Put Miley in the pen and sweep with no need for a 4th

ALCS - Keep Miley in the pen and sweep so JV only has to make one start on short rest

WS - Keep Miley in the pen and sweep so JV only has to make one start on short rest

Profit
agsquirrel97
AG
Ag_07 said:

ALDS - Put Miley in the pen and sweep with no need for a 4th

ALCS - Keep Miley in the pen and sweep so JV only has to make one start on short rest

WS - Keep Miley in the pen and sweep so JV only has to make one start on short rest

Profit
bullard21k
AG
Imo this post season bullpen usage is going to look a lot like the 2017 World Series. Starters getting moved to pen and the best man pitches in tight games.

I personally don't think rondon, James, Biagini or devo are useable in tight games in the post season. Personally wouldn't even carry them.

Miley and or grienke coming out of pen for ALDS depending upon game imo. I think peacock if unavailable is a big loss. He can eat innings, is better out of pen and done it in post season.

And whoever said give Whitley a look in the pen during callups that's not dumb at all. If that cat is your best option and can get outs I'm all for it.
Ag_07
AG
I'm gonna go ahead and go out a limb and say no way does Greinke come out of the pen.

Well I shouldn't say no way but it's only gonna be an extra inning or clinch scenario.

He's your #3 starter.
bearkatag15
AG

At the park today. Any other knuckleheads here? I'm the one in a blue jersey and cargo shorts
AustinCountyAg
what crappy seats. can't see anything with those damn nets now
JABQ04
AG
We suck at stealing on full counts.
First Page Last Page
Page 952 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.