***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,509 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Springer has been very good since coming back from injury, but his power (slugging) hasn't returned to April & May levels
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ripken didn't miss a game for 16 years
Beat40
AggiEE said:

Charlie Conway said:

this team doesn't make it out of the ALDS, hot take I know, but I believe it

It does feel a bit like 2018 to me.

On paper this is probably the best Astros team ever assembled, but there are serious concerns with not being able to score runs on 6.0 ERA pitchers

Springer being in a funk hurts and seems to be a big part of our recent woes, for whatever reason he seems to be the spark for our offense
Why do you guys take these losses so dramatically?

In 2017 we went 11-17 in August while being swept by the White Sox on the road and losing 4 to the Rangers that month. We also got swept by the Rays in that month.

In 2018 we went 14-12 August.

Currently, we are 12-7 in August.

How would you feel if we ended up with 17 wins in August?
jkag89
cap-n-jack said:

JV handled that interview well. He's got to be steaming.
He is a pro's pro. It is not the first game he lost a game he should have won. Also I'm sure he can recall a few he likely should have gotten the L and the offense bailed him out.
Frok
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

That's when men were men. Now we got players getting broken ribs from massages.
the last of the bohemians
Jkag89,
I agree about the playoffs. Against a weak team like tigers I didn't see any reason to break the norm of Verlander's requirement
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40
the last of the bohemians said:

Jkag89,
I agree about the playoffs. Against a weak team like tigers I didn't see any reason to break the norm of Verlander's requirement

Haha. He had 88 pitches going into the 9th. The norm wasn't broken, man.
Silent For Too Long
Beat40 said:

AggiEE said:

Charlie Conway said:

On paper this is probably the best Astros team ever assembled, but there are serious concerns with not being able to score runs on 6.0 ERA pitchers

Springer being in a funk hurts and seems to be a big part of our recent woes, for whatever reason he seems to be the spark for our offense

In 2017 we went 11-17 in August while being swept by the White Sox on the road and losing 4 to the Rangers that month. We also got swept by the Rays in that month.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

We are still on pace to post our best record ever. We still have the most talented roster on baseball.

Relax. Some of the asinine takes on here after a loss our Arlington level embarrassing.

News flash. This team does care. It wants to win every game it can. It wins A LOT of games.

But you can't win them all. You can't jump off a ledge every time the teams comes up short.
jkag89

Different era. A few at least questioned whether he was "selfish" in not taking a day off every once in awhile, especially when he was beat up a little.
MisterFurious
AG
AgDoc03 said:

I hope Hinch benches Chirinos tomorrow to send a message that kinda selfish bull**** won't fly.

Chirinos was selfish, but don't forget how absolutely stupid Altuve was in doing what he did in the 8th. Chirinos was being selfish, but there was absolutely zero reason whatsoever for Altuve to do what he did. Someone pointed out that there were only 3 RISP at bats tonight and they went to the minor league back end of the order. Well, Alvarez and Brantley would have gotten a shot if not for what was/is inexplicable.
tremble
AG
JA Happ and the Yanks getting lit up. Happ might not make it to 4 innings. Would be great if they had to burn the pen and lose tonight.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Bregman is our only guy in the top 50 of games played, but everyone else had a significant injury.
AggiEE
Silent For Too Long said:

Beat40 said:

AggiEE said:

Charlie Conway said:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

We are still on pace to post our best record ever. We still have the most talented roster on baseball.

Relax. Some of the asinine takes on here after a loss our Arlington level embarrassing.

News flash. This team does care. It wants to win every game it can. It wins A LOT of games.

But you can't win them all. You can't jump off a ledge every time the teams comes up short.

We are on pace to lose home field advantage in both the ALCS and WS

Our road record indicates that's a big loss.

The way Hinch is managing some of these games it seems like he is content with not having homefield advantage
Prosperdick
AG
God the bleeders are pathetic, it's baseball and why they play the games. How would you like to be a Rangers fan right now? Grow a pear for Pete's sake.
tremble
AG
At full strength this team doesn't have much to fear, including lack of home field advantage. If we lose it's because players didn't perform. We have 3 aces and a #4 who would be some teams #1 pitcher.

Our lineup from 1-8 on a healthy night is by far the best in baseball.

Tonight sucked but we had Jake, Straw, and Mayfield playing tonight so I'm not going to blow a gasket other than over the stupid baserunning.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I don't think this has any bearing on how we play in the playoffs, better to be cold now. I'd love to have home field but we can win without it

I am concerned with our mental toughness. The Tootblans and not hitting some guys throwing in the low 90s with average stuff is mental
jkag89
the last of the bohemians said:

Jkag89,
So if Beat40's pitch count of 88 pitches through 8 is correct, please explain how he is more tired or stressed or whatever reason you believe he should not have gone out in the 9th compared to any other time this year when he had 88 pitches in fewer innings. I bet you have been fuming if Hinch pulled JV in a tie game after 88 pitches after the 6th or 7th inning and the pen lost the game.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Do all players get as many scheduled rest days as ours?
Bryce Harper has played in 124 of the Phillies 125 games

How many playoff series has Harper won?
jkag89
AggiEE said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Beat40 said:

AggiEE said:

Charlie Conway said:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

We are on pace to lose home field advantage in both the ALCS and WS

Our road record indicates that's a big loss.

The way Hinch is managing some of these games it seems like he is content with not having homefield advantage
So what should AJ done differently tonight?
Beat40
But you are freaking out because we MIGHT lose AL and overall home field.

If the Yanks lose tonight, we're stil only 2 back, with about a month of games left. That's a lot of games.

We're also 2.5 games out of home field over all. If LA looses tonight, we'll be 2 out. Same scenario as the Yanks.

Why get so freaked out over it today when the outcome is far from certain?
6-4-3
AG
Everyone on this forum understands the concept of 162 games and 1/3 wins 1/3 losses and 1/3 undecided. If they don't then shame on them. But on a real-time fan forum there is nothing wrong with calling out a bad stretch of baseball. We have our easiest stretch of schedule and we are playing the worst baseball in a while. Some of the teams we are facing are practically hoping to lose. It's AAA competition. So it's okay to vent. That is, unless we are required to say "go Astros" and "AJ Hinch is awesome" and "can't wait for the playoffs... we will show them". What is the point of a fan forum if so?
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Do all players get as many scheduled rest days as ours?
Bryce Harper has played in 124 of the Phillies 125 games

How many playoff series has Harper won?

Can he play short stop?
Beat40
By the way, I only said 88 because someone else said it, haha.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I just hope the ALDS series isn't historically long odds
bearkatag15
AG

Yikes. JV deserves better
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Dodgers went to the series the year Rich Hill did it
Beat40
Weekend Commuter said:

Everyone on this forum understands the concept of 162 games and 1/3 wins 1/3 losses and 1/3 undecided. If they don't then shame on them. But on a real-time fan forum there is nothing wrong with calling out a bad stretch of baseball. We have our easiest stretch of schedule and we are playing the worst baseball in a while. Some of the teams we are facing are practically hoping to lose. It's AAA competition. So it's okay to vent. That is, unless we are required to say "go Astros" and "AJ Hinch is awesome" and "can't wait for the playoffs... we will show them". What is the point of a fan forum if so?
I don't think there is anything wrong with calling out a bad stretch of baseball. I'm for it.

However, It's so frustrating when we have people declare this team doens't care about home field based on losing to the Tigers. This criticism isn't matching up with the results overall.

We're 12-7 in August so far, including our bad stretch of baseball. To me that's grinding out wins in the dog days with some injuries thrown in and you're still 2-3 games out of AL home field and overall home field with about a months' worth of games to be played.
Ags #1
AG
And lost
Beat40
Well boys, I'm out for tonight. Let's win tomorrow and head into the weekend looking to sweep!
Faustus
Shame JV couldn't get the W after that outing. As horrid a decision as it was by Chirinos to go for his little slice of history (or being more charitable not realizing you absolutely cannot make the out at third and thinking he had it), it was still encouraging to see him hit well, and for power.

Also I'm glad that if we're going to lose in frustrating, gaffe like fashion with anemic bats and blunders on the base path that it happened at a brisk pace rather than 4 1/2 hours later in extra innings.
bearkatag15
AG
Meanwhile JD Davis is out there getting walk off hits in extras

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
12-7 with 10 games being against AAA teams. If it's not lack of caring/mental toughness what is the cause of the swoon
Charlie Conway
Beat40 said:

But you are freaking out because we MIGHT lose AL and overall home field.

If the Yanks lose tonight, we're stil only 2 back, with about a month of games left. That's a lot of games.

We're also 2.5 games out of home field over all. If LA looses tonight, we'll be 2 out. Same scenario as the Yanks.

Why get so freaked out over it today when the outcome is far from certain?
I don't care about home field advantage when the team is playing this kind of baseball. Over the last 2 weeks or so I've seen horrible at bats, poor defense and mental errors on the bases. This astros team is not as good as everybody thinks they are. They will not make it out of the ALDS,
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
This is a hot dumb take.

Signed,the leader in the hot dumb takes on this thread

Are you offering in odds?
First Page Last Page
Page 908 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.