***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,177 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Any idea what the ramifications are of calling up Tucker now instead of waiting until 9/1? Like is there a service time/arbitration issue? Or do we lose an option? Would be interesting to know all the decision factors.

The only one I know is if they wait until 9/1 then they can't have him on the playoff roster. Thus I would make sure to get him up earlier just in case he comes up and hits well.

However my guess is they go with Straw today since he can play the infield. If Diaz wasn't also out then I think Tucker would have had a better shot.

Charlie Conway
Frok said:

Deluxe said:

Any idea what the ramifications are of calling up Tucker now instead of waiting until 9/1? Like is there a service time/arbitration issue? Or do we lose an option? Would be interesting to know all the decision factors.

The only one I know is if they wait until 9/1 then they can't have him on the playoff roster. Thus I would make sure to get him up earlier just in case he comes up and hits well.

However my guess is they go with Straw today since he can play the infield. If Diaz wasn't also out then I think Tucker would have had a better shot.

this is not inline with what Lunhow said on 790 this morning unless I misheard something while I was working. He basically said that Tucker will finish the minor league season and then possibly called up in September then he and Hinch would decide on the playoff roster when the series are set.
Frok
AG
Maybe my understanding is not correct. But that definitely sounds like it's not Tucker time yet.
R-Dog
AG
Frok said:

Deluxe said:

Not true. If this was the case, you would essentially be setting your playoff roster on August 31.

The rule is the player just has to be in the organization as of September 1. In the old days of waiver trades, that's why you had to complete the Verlander deal by midnight to have him eligible for the playoffs. I believe you could have theoretically made that same trade the next day but then JV couldn't have pitched in the playoffs.

So, now the rule would just keep you from signing a free agent after September 1 if you wanted him to be eligible for the playoffs

Frok
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Sneed and Straw called up...
Ag_07
AG
I really am stumped at the whole Tucker situation. What good is he doing us finishing out the MiLB season?

They obviously like him because they've held on to him so get his ass up here and see what he can do.

He's finally got an opportunity with the recent injuries and Reddick struggles and they're still adamant at keeping in AAA. Is he in the doghouse or something?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
$$$$ and years of arbitration being worth more than 20 extra games this season when we will cruise to the division title
Teddy Perkins
AG
Speculating here, it seems the organization has a good feeling that they know what they've got in Tucker and they would rather get at bats for Reddick and Marisnick to get them hot for the playoff run. In other words, they don't want to take at bats from Reddick and Marisnick for the Tucker experiment.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Speculating here, it seems the organization has a good feeling that they know what they've got in Tucker and they would rather get at bats for Reddick and Marisnick to get them hot for the playoff run. In other words, they don't want to take at bats from Reddick and Marisnick for the Tucker experiment.

Whatever reddick is doing sucks right now
Give him the month of sept off and go through a simulated training camp and bring back March/April reddick for the playoffs
redline248
AG
The Sneed yo-yo continues
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
I could be mistaken but I thought those ramifications had already passed.

Like a long time ago. Thought that's why the waited so long until calling Yordan up.
Teddy Perkins
AG
From Kaplan's Athletic article today on call-ups.

Quote:

Kyle Tucker, LF/RF/1B

After spending the entire season in Triple A, Tucker will finally return to the majors in September. He could get a decent amount of playing time, too, especially if Josh Reddick's post-June struggles persist.
Tucker entered Tuesday batting .269/.355/.568 in Triple A this season, a line that stands out from the Pacific Coast League average only because of his slugging. He has 32 home runs, three triples and 25 doubles. Presuming the Astros carry their usual 14 position players in the ALDS, Tucker will have a chance to win the last bench spot for the best-of-five postseason round.

Didn't know this.

Quote:

This is the last season teams can carry as many as 40 players on their active rosters in September. Beginning next season, the limit will be 28 players on an active roster in September. Additionally, the active roster limit in every other month, including the postseason, will increase from 25 to 26.
AgFan1999
AG
there's quite a few teams that get no where near the 40 man limit in September.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

I could be mistaken but I thought those ramifications had already passed.

Like a long time ago. Thought that's why the waited so long until calling Yordan up.
That's what I thought too. Still not exactly sure what the difference is between calling up Tucker now vs 9/1 in terms of his service time, arb years, options, etc (assuming there is a difference).
Ag_07
AG
I like that new rule.

I always thought it was odd to play 5 months with 25 players then the last month (when teams are making their last push for playoff spots) you get 40.

Just didn't seem right to change the rules for one month of the season. 28 seems a little more reasonable though.
W
AG
checking in with Charlie (13-5, 2.77)...

Morton has regained the ERA lead in the American League. He's pitching tonight, so that sets up a potential JV vs. Morton matchup at MMP next Tuesday
CoachRTM
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Yahoo sports app now shows -565

Crazy
Bregxit
AG
CoachRTM said:

BMX Bandit said:

Yahoo sports app now shows -565

Crazy

Last time all this betting line **** started we went on a five game skid. Just sayin'.
DVC2010
AG
Ag_07 said:

I like that new rule.

I always thought it was odd to play 5 months with 25 players then the last month (when teams are making their last push for playoff spots) you get 40.

Just didn't seem right to change the rules for one month of the season. 28 seems a little more reasonable though.

I couldn't remember whether that rule started this season or next. It's a good change. September games are brutal with pitching changes after every batter.
Ag_07
AG
It just never made any sense.

Hey lets play 132 games by these rules and the last 30 we'll change it up and play by these rules.
Beat40
Hoping Yordon gets to 20 tonight. Will be interesting to see if the Tiger's pitchers actually give him anything to hit.
expresswrittenconsent
Beat40 said:

Hoping Yordon gets to 20 tonight. Will be interesting to see if the Tiger's pitchers actually give him anything to hit.

Your daily dose of Yordan hype:
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/8/21/20826069/houston-astros-yordan-alvarez

CFTXAG10
AG
Speaking of, just FYI you can buy the Air Yordan shirt from Breaking T in the Union Station team store at the game. Picked one up the other night. Great shirt!
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
JABQ04
AG
Sucks he's coming all the way from Atlanta to see Reddick ride the pine.
Mr.Ackar07
W said:

Morton has regained the ERA lead in the American League. He's pitching tonight, so that sets up a potential JV vs. Morton matchup at MMP next Tuesday
Verlander is now the AL ERA leader after Morton had some issues with the White Sox today.
shano0603
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

W said:

Verlander is now the AL ERA leader after Morton had some issues with the White Sox today.
He threw against the Mariners
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Sept 1 thing for the playoff roster is not a rule
iamtheglove
expresswrittenconsent said:

Beat40 said:

Your daily dose of Yordan hype:
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/8/21/20826069/houston-astros-yordan-alvarez

Interesting article. He notes Yordan's plate discipline but also says that he has "pedestrian" bat control. I guess that is based on his relatively high strike outs but pedestrian doesn't pass the eye test in my opinion. Heck he's seeing big league pitching for the first time and is hitting .333

Silent For Too Long
From the Ringer article:

"lvarez recognizes breaking pitches well and has a good feel for the strike zone; the rookie has faced 17 3-0 counts in his career, in which he's drawn 15 walks and hit two home runs for a literally perfect 1.000/1.000/4.000 slash line. "
redline248
AG
bearkatag15
AG

6-9... yikes
First Page Last Page
Page 900 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.