***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,652 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

mathguy86 said:

Sending Biagini down is curious. That was his last option. Devo had 3.
I thought options are year-based. You can option someone as many times as you want, but only for so many years.

Yes and no. Options are year based and you only get so many. Within that year you can send someone up and down as many times as you want and it only counts as one option. At some point years of service kick in and options go away. Jake was that way.

Biagini had one left and they just used it. So if something happened next year with him and he went south they could not send him down to work it out. It could tie their hands in the future.

Does he even leave the team? Calling Sneed up is just a stopgap because of the schedule, right?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
titanmaster_race
Really sucks for Biagini. He'll be getting a minor league salary for the downtime. Hate that he'd getting shafted by the organization, even if there's a somewhat defendable reason for it.
Mr.Ackar07
Marvin said:

mathguy86 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

mathguy86 said:

I thought options are year-based. You can option someone as many times as you want, but only for so many years.

Yes and no. Options are year based and you only get so many. Within that year you can send someone up and down as many times as you want and it only counts as one option. At some point years of service kick in and options go away. Jake was that way.

Biagini had one left and they just used it. So if something happened next year with him and he went south they could not send him down to work it out. It could tie their hands in the future.

Does he even leave the team? Calling Sneed up is just a stopgap because of the schedule, right?
I believe he has to be down for a certain number of days before he can be recalled.
Miles Finch
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Marvin said:

mathguy86 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

mathguy86 said:

I believe he has to be down for a certain number of days before he can be recalled.
10 days. Unless there is an injury.
Beat40
titanmaster_race said:

Really sucks for Biagini. He'll be getting a minor league salary for the downtime. Hate that he'd getting shafted by the organization, even if there's a somewhat defendable reason for it.

This is one of those times I'd kind of hope the organization would do him right.
redline248
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Quote:

No excuse. AJ should have got in Cole's face and asked him where his balls were.
Exactly, show some friggin heart and pitch on one leg. If Cole would have been out there the offense would have been way better.
If Jim Abbott could pitch with one hand, Cole should be able to pitch on one leg!
texpert68
AG
Beat40 said:

titanmaster_race said:

This is one of those times I'd kind of hope the organization would do him right.

I actually think the org is doing it right. Send the new guy down and let Devo, the more tenured player, keep getting his big league salary. Seems like a fair way to handle it.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG

bearkatag15
AG

Bregman back in lineup... best lineup in last few days.
CFTXAG10
AG
That is MUCH better, and nice to see Yordan getting some action in LF
Teddy Perkins
AG
Yordan playing in left field.
CSWendt
I like putting Yordan in LF. Get him some field work in a game, and give guys like Springer, who had to play the field in both games yesterday, a day off.

As long as Yordan stays healthy out there, we only stand to benefit by getting him more comfortable in LF, should we need him out there in a WS or other situation.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Lunhow is asked if Whitely will be called up this year. Lunhow basically said no. They would only bring him up if they thought he could help them in the playoffs and he said they are not seeing that out of him right now. He will likely pitch in the fall again and then see where things are for next year.
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

Are or are not?
My bad. Are not.
Marvin
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Sounds great... until you remember Sunday and last night. Great teams lose to bad teams, it happens. To be honest, I've actually enjoyed the difficult schedule the Astros have played. The games have been meaningful, no doubt. It only irks me when the Yankees play one of their 163 annual games against Baltimore.

I'm really looking forward to the team stomping on the hopes and dreams of Oakland this weekend. Choke them out and focus September on balancing the goals of home field and health.
Mr President Elect
AG
Marvin said:

Sounds great... until you remember Sunday and last night. Great teams lose to bad teams, it happens. To be honest, I've actually enjoyed the difficult schedule the Astros have played. The games have been meaningful, no doubt. It only irks me when the Yankees play one of their 163 annual games against Baltimore.

I enjoy the tougher schedule as well. We have the second easiest remaining schedule (of course Twins have easiest). The Yankees have the 12th easiest schedule remaining, which is actually the toughest among AL playoff contenders. I really think we should start pulling away with the home field advantage soon.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Bregman back in lineup... best lineup in last few days.

That's our best lineup right now. Jake in center, Reddick on the pine.
Mr President Elect
AG
I agree... Maybe Diaz in right and George in center, might be slightly better. Would love to get Diaz into a groove before the playoffs if Josh is not ever going to snap out of his funk.
Mr.Ackar07
Something I found interesting today. According to mlb.com, the Astros (+10), Yankees(+15), and Athletics (+1) are the only AL teams to have a better than .500 record against teams currently over .500.
Mr.Ackar07
Plus this little nugget:

Quote:

Twins

Mitch Garver and Jason Castro have given the Twins the best play at catcher in the AL. Entering play on Tuesday, Twins catchers led the AL in home runs (36), runs (100) and wOBA (.348).
Where was this earlier Castro? Currently .250/.330/.824

https://www.mlb.com/news/major-league-baseball-30-surprises
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Doubleheaders always remind me of the time in 1995 when a buddy and I drove from College Station to the H during summer session to see an Astros-Padres doubleheader on his 21st birthday.

First game went 17 innings. Astros won 3-2.

Best part was, Doug Brocail not only got the 'W' in relief, but scored the game-winning run. In the bottom of the 17th he dragged a bunt leading off the inning, moved to second on a James Mouton bunt and scored on a Biggio RBI single.

Padres had scored a run in the top of the 16th on a Tony Gwynn (of course) double, but Derek Bell threw out Finley at the plate to keep it from being worse. Padres brought Hoffman in to close it out, but Bagwell doubled to lead off the inning and Astro HOFer Tony Eusebio doubled an out later to tie it.

First game took 4-1/2 hours,. The second game, which Astros won 4-1, was played like both teams were trying to catch the last train out of town. 2 hours and 18 minutes game time. Padres had used so many pitchers in the first game that they made the only choice they had for Game 2: Fernando Valenzuela.

Fernando, who was listed at 35 that year, but probably really like 48, took the loss, but got a hit and scored a run.
Gap
AG
Was Sneed brought up to work out of the pen or start on Saturday? If not Sneed starting on Saturday then who?
CFTXAG10
AG
Does anyone have a scouting report on TBA? WHIP? Spin Rate?

Agnzona
I think home field vs the Yankees is crucial.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ag_07
AG
I think there's too much stock being put into home field advantage.

Our starting rotation and offense is so good it's gonna be really hard for anyone to beat us in a series whether we have home field or not.
3B Paul 97
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Doubleheaders always remind me of the time in 1995 when a buddy and I drove from College Station to the H during summer session to see an Astros-Padres doubleheader on his 21st birthday.

First game went 17 innings. Astros won 3-2.

Best part was, Doug Brocail not only got the 'W' in relief, but scored the game-winning run. In the bottom of the 17th he dragged a bunt leading off the inning, moved to second on a James Mouton bunt and scored on a Biggio RBI single.

Padres had scored a run in the top of the 16th on a Tony Gwynn (of course) double, but Derek Bell threw out Finley at the plate to keep it from being worse. Padres brought Hoffman in to close it out, but Bagwell doubled to lead off the inning and Astro HOFer Tony Eusebio doubled an out later to tie it.

First game took 4-1/2 hours,. The second game, which Astros won 4-1, was played like both teams were trying to catch the last train out of town. 2 hours and 18 minutes game time. Padres had used so many pitchers in the first game that they made the only choice they had for Game 2: Fernando Valenzuela.

Fernando, who was listed at 35 that year, but probably really like 48, took the loss, but got a hit and scored a run.

I can hardly remember what I did yesterday.
Beat40
texpert68 said:

Beat40 said:

titanmaster_race said:

I actually think the org is doing it right. Send the new guy down and let Devo, the more tenured player, keep getting his big league salary. Seems like a fair way to handle it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial comment. I don't mind the way they are handling it. I meant I would hope the org would do Joe right by continuing to pay him the big league salary based upon the freak circumstances he's being sent down. Doubt he gets sent down if we have an off day on Thursday instead of one of 12 straight we play.
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

texpert68 said:

Beat40 said:

titanmaster_race said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial comment. I don't mind the way they are handling it. I meant I would hope the org would do Joe right by continuing to pay him the big league salary based upon the freak circumstances he's being sent down. Doubt he gets sent down if we have an off day on Thursday instead of one of 12 straight we play.

Players on a major league contract do not get a pay decrease when sent to the minors. The MLB contract is 100% guaranteed.
Mr President Elect
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Does anyone have a scouting report on TBA? WHIP? Spin Rate?

I am hopeful it will be Cole. Not sure if there is a chance of it happening. But if his hamstring was just tight yesterday and nothing wrong with it, I don't see why not.
Beat40
dlance said:

Beat40 said:

texpert68 said:

Beat40 said:

titanmaster_race said:

Players on a major league contract do not get a pay decrease when sent to the minors. The MLB contract is 100% guaranteed.

Thanks for the clarification! I was just responding to titanmaster's comment on him getting a minor league salary on the downtime.

Guess I should have logically known what your are saying.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think there's too much stock being put into home field advantage.

Our starting rotation and offense is so good it's gonna be really hard for anyone to beat us in a series whether we have home field or not.
Totally agree...our team is built to steal one (or both) of the first two games on the road and finish them off at home. As I've stated before, health is the biggest concern, and nothing else comes close. If we're 100% or close to it we should be favored in almost every AL playoff game unless things get weird with the rotations.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

AJ...can walk back tonight, he played the doubleheader for a spllit and got a split

The rain out f'ed some shlt up. Now they had a double header before a day game.

Oh yeah...He lost his starter 5 min before 1st pitch.

What else should he have done differently?

No excuse. AJ should have got in Cole's face and asked him where his balls were. He should have forced him to throw this game to win this double header. One day AJ will figure it out I hope.

It took my half a second to realize this was sarcasm because this isn't too far off from what some would actually say.
bearkatag15
AG
Yankees continue their dominance over the Orioles. already up 4-1 after a Gary Sanchez 3 run HR.
First Page Last Page
Page 840 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.