***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,340 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
dlance said:

Frok said:

October is a nice month for outdoor baseball in Houston but the roof will be shut to create crowd noise. I personally don't think the difference of crowd noise between open and closed roof makes any difference but I know few agree with me.

Dude the noise volume during the WS was intoxicating. You could feel the sound and it was amazing.

Every time there were 2 outs in the inning and the opposing batter had two strikes everyone rose to their feet and it transformed the juice box into the friggin hate box. It was electric and I've never seen anything like it outside of 2010 A&M-Nebraska
Bregxit
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

dlance said:

Frok said:

October is a nice month for outdoor baseball in Houston but the roof will be shut to create crowd noise. I personally don't think the difference of crowd noise between open and closed roof makes any difference but I know few agree with me.

Dude the noise volume during the WS was intoxicating. You could feel the sound and it was amazing.

Every time there were 2 outs in the inning and the opposing batter had two strikes everyone rose to their feet and it transformed the juice box into the friggin hate box. It was electric and I've never seen anything like it outside of 2010 A&M-Nebraska

I literally pulled a lat muscle in the first inning of game 3 from yelling and flexing.
spadilly
S
Bregxit
AG
spadilly said:

You win the Internet for today!
Harry Dunne
CFTXAG10 said:

dlance said:

Frok said:

It is louder with the roof closed. That's just physics and dumb to argue against.

That said, the closed roof is not what made it electric and the extra few decibels isn't why we won the WS. Outdoor baseball in good weather is unbeatable. BTW was that Nebraska game played indoors?
Bregxit
AG
Harry Dunne said:

CFTXAG10 said:

dlance said:

Frok said:

It is louder with the roof closed. That's just physics and dumb to argue against.

That said, the closed roof is not what made it electric and the extra few decibels isn't why we won the WS. Outdoor baseball in good weather is unbeatable. BTW was that Nebraska game played indoors?
The closed roof didn't make it electric, but it definitely increased the amperage.
Harry Dunne
I have been fortunate enough to get to go to WS games in different venues, even once as a neutral observer that just bought a nosebleed single because I lived in StL and wanted to go to a WS game. Fans are on their feet yelling at the top of their lungs every time there are 2 outs in a close game. It is deafeningly loud in every venue. It's the World Series!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's much different with the roof open. It was not nearly as electric in 2005 when MLB made us open it
Harry Dunne
Again, what made it not electric in '05 didn't have anything to do with the roof.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Yanks won both today while the Stros have to deal with the bad taste in their mouth from yesterday's game.
n_touch
Well hopefully it will wake Osuna up now that he got beat up on
Deluxe
AG
Just realized Yordan has 40 HR and 122 RBI total this year between AAA and the bigs.

The 122 RBI would be the best in MLB. By 27.
W
AG
well, the Orioles (39-80) were halfway competitive today, but lost both games to NYY.

the Astros need to match the doubleheader sweep tomorrow
bearkatag15
AG

Tucker with 2 tonight
AggiEE
Can't wait to see Tuck take some time away from Reddick

He demolished a ball above his shoulders
Farmer1906
AG
Stud

BRING HIM UP!
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Tucker with 2 tonight

Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Alvarez has risen to the top of MLB.com's latest American League Rookie of the Year poll. He received 40 of 42 first-place votes to end Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe's season-long run in the top spot.

1) Yordan Alvarez (40 first-place votes): His 51 RBIs in 46 games are the most in Major League history, surpassing the previous mark of 47 in 45 games by Ted Williams in 1939. Alvarez's 17 home runs in his first 46 games are an Astros record, beating George Springer's mark of 11 in 45 games, set in 2014.

2) Brandon Lowe (0 first-place votes)
3) John Means (2 first-place votes)
Teddy Perkins
AG
Looks like Rojas went 2 for 4 with an RBI yesterday for the Dbacks.

Quote:

Somewhere around the fifth inning, Josh Rojas began to gaze around the ball park and a particular thought dawned on him.

"I realized I'm in the big leagues right now," the outfielder said after his major league debut. "This is pretty crazy."

It took him a couple innings to settle in before making a big impression.

Rojas had a pair of hits in his first big league game, including an RBI single in the seventh to make it 8-6. After his inaugural base hit in the sixth -- just ahead of Ahmed's homer -- the keepsake baseball was tossed into the dugout, where Eduardo Escobar playfully pretended to throw it into the crowd.

Rojas was acquired last month in the deal that sent right-hander Zack Greinke to Houston. Rojas became the 10th Arizona-born player to suit up for the Diamondbacks.

"Really nice approach. Unfazed. Good heartbeat. Not glossy-eyed. He looked very comfortable," Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. "To be relaxed, and do what he did today was very, very impressive."
Agnzona
Perfectly timed article.

"Astros talent overload a blessing and a curse".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/13/houston-astros-jd-davis-mlb/1994648001/

KC_Ag14
AG
Agnzona said:

Perfectly timed article.

"Astros talent overload a blessing and a curse".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/13/houston-astros-jd-davis-mlb/1994648001/

Just more evidence that the Stros system under Luhnow for evaluating talent combined with the analytics side is probably the best in baseball. What a fantastic problem to have -- hope it never goes away.
BullSprig07
AG
Really good article, but White is the last person that needs to be complaining about getting a chance to prove yourself.

redline248
AG
Exactly. This is how that article ends
Quote:

"There's so many guys like J.D., like Ramon Ramon never even got an opportunity, and now he's just killing it it's just getting to prove what you can do," says White.

"I would never say anything bad about them. But it's hard to prove yourself."
You had more than enough chances, Puddin'
Beat40
Was going to say, I was ok with his comments until he said it's hard to prove yourself.

Out of all the guys interviewed, he was the one who had ample opportunity.

If he would have come to camp in shape and mashed the ball, he'd still be with the team.
redline248
AG
Oh, I just looked. Since he's been in LA, in 12 games he's 1 for 22, with 4 walks and 2 RBI.

Guess he's still having trouble proving he's anything other than a fat black hole.
Ag_07
AG
Yep.

Dude had a spot on the team as 1Bman. All he had to do was produce.
expresswrittenconsent
Ringer had a nice article about Cole chasing the K/9 record today.
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/8/13/20799374/gerrit-cole-houston-astros-k9-rate-randy-johnson
They also have one today calling Ranger Lancr Lynn the best starter in the AL, though, so maybe skip that one...
Beat40
For me the thing that sticks out is there's maybe a narrative that if the Astros trade with you, you're going to get fleeced. The best part of this article is that other GMs hopefully see that's not necessarily the case.

It actually makes a stronger argument FOR trading with the Astros in the future.

Even if 2 of the 4 prospects for the Dbacks pan out in some form or fashion at the MLB level, it's going to be harder for other organization's to not trade with the Astros.
Mr.Ackar07
Beat40 said:

Was going to say, I was ok with his comments until he said it's hard to prove yourself.

Out of all the guys interviewed, he was the one who had ample opportunity.

If he would have come to camp in shape and mashed the ball, he'd still be with the team.
Opportunity is not the only ample thing he's got.
KC_Ag14
AG
Agreed - I'm looking at it from the Bregman perspective. Meaning they're still going to get guys in later years that will potentially pass up good prospects that are already in the system. That's a game changer. Don't think teams are getting fleeced by any stretch... the quality of depth is just that good.
MelvinUdall
Shame on White talking about getting an opportunity to prove himself, as others have said he ample opportunity. I will also add, that he had a tremendous opportunity to actually be in shape given the access to trainers and dietician's. He should be embarrassed that he looked like a middle aged dad with 3 kids who has limited time to exercise. I have no respect for White not taking advantage of what was available to him.
JABQ04
AG
MelvinUdall said:

He should be embarrassed that he looked like a middle aged dad with 3 kids who has limited time to exercise.

I resemble that remark.
Mathguy64
AG
I have mostly tried to not rag on the Teletubbie since he's been DFAed. But if he had come into camp in shape instead of treating the offseason like he plays in a Sunday evening beer chugging softball D league I might have more sympathy. He's carrying 30 extra very obvious lbs above his belt line and it's affected his swing and mobility. Left Lunhow didn't put it there. The organization didn't make him do daily 12 hour marathon stints at the Golden Corral chocolate bar. Tyler White did that. Dude is being paid $600k a year to stay in shape and hit a baseball. And he can't do either.
Harry Dunne
Great article, and yes you are all right about White although it would take a remarkable human being to be introspective enough to own his share in all this so soon after. Hopefully as time goes by he will make a bigger commitment to fitness and realize he had plenty of opportunity here and blew it.

It would have been nice to keep JD Davis instead of White but now that we are fully healthy and have Alvarez he would have been squeezed out anyway. Although maybe we could have gotten a better return on him.

The only move I wish we had made differently is to keep Laureano instead of Jake. I love Jake but Laureano is a better player with bigger upside under longer control.

But if your only transaction complaint in the last 5 years is that you'd like to have a player that is 10 or 20% better than your fourth outfielder, that's pretty impressive.
First Page Last Page
Page 829 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.