***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,032 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in for 3. Need an early Christmas present for the parents.
n_touch
Everyone agreed on gray?
Johnsy3
AG
I'd be in for one or two RTICs
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I'm in for a gray one

My only suggestion is stick to just Astros since it seems like quite a few are purchasing for gifts.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
In all of our trade deadline glory, I completely didn't realize that the rangers didn't even manage to deal off any of their guys for prospects...

Another huge win for the stros.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

In all of our trade deadline glory, I completely didn't realize that the rangers didn't even manage to deal off any of their guys for prospects...

Another huge win for the stros.
Huge win?

Its a dumb mistake by them, but even if they made 3 perfect trades for prospects it just means they'll be slightly better next year and not slightly better in 2024.
n_touch
Easy to personalize, I do all kinds. Each one can be specific to what they want. Doesn't even have to be for this, just needed to justify buying a case.
Farmer1906
AG
What kind of discount is given on buying in bulk?
BigPuma
AG
id be down for one
Ag_07
AG
What's really gonna hurt them is not only missing on reloading on talent is that they're gonna keep playing these guys in a wasted season and not get to call up their young talent to get experience and/or evaluate them.

While we're the hottest thing in baseball right now the Rangers are a dumpster fire.
Wabs
AG
https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/mo-egger/content/2019-07-31-this-breakdown-of-the-redspirates-fight-is-as-good-as-the-fight-itself/
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Yes, a huge win. They've further relegated themselves into prolonged purgatory which absolutely directly benefits us... for years.
agproducer
AG
n_touch said:

Easy to personalize, I do all kinds. Each one can be specific to what they want. Doesn't even have to be for this, just needed to justify buying a case.
I'd be in as well.
zgood10
AG
n_touch said:

I'm in
bullard21k
AG
I'll take 2 cups.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Just ran across this. We really responsible for all these deferred payments?

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/zack-greinke-407/cash-earnings/
Mathguy64
AG
Frok said:

I'm happy Luhnow made the move. I think the hardest part of being a GM is debating between future and win now. It's so hard to know which prospects will truly pan out.

From a comment I heard somewhere yesterday, prospects come and go. You get to hang a banner forever.
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

I'm good with the "Take it back" you did on the black version, or F*** the Rangers. Whatever tickles your fancy.
CFTXAG10
AG
JW_TXAG13
AG
Thread here of a couple good videos of Luhnow on MLB Network.

Bregxit
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I posted that three times yesterday while everyone was discussing money and no one answered. Good luck getting one today.
Ag_07
AG
GDit!!

I wanted to hear his answer about Greinke pitching yesterday
Teddy Perkins
AG
There are more videos in the tweet thread, including how they were watching Greinke pitch in the game while they were working on the deal.
Ag_07
AG
Watching the entire spot on MLB.com right now

https://www.mlb.com/video/luhnow-on-greinke-astros-moves
irish pete ag06
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Yes, a huge win. They've further relegated themselves into prolonged purgatory which absolutely directly benefits us... for years.
This so much.

Over the next 5-8 years I see this:

• A's - they will be who they are. They'll probably never win the division unless we crap the bed over this time. They are constrained by so many things that we aren't.
  • Angels - terrible front office that will keep them in baseball purgatory by developing nothing but having Trout. They are literally a Mike Trout away from being a 90 loss team in my opinion.
  • Rangers - continuing to make baseball purgatory decision by not fire selling. I really believe they are not doing it because of the new stadium and the want to sell season tickets. I love it. Very Drayton of them.
  • Mariners - this is the team that appears to know who they are and are doing things to be good in the future. 3-5 years from now I see us still being good, but the Mariners being the team in the rearview mirror gaining speed.

The thing is... Luhnow is always doing little things to keep the window open with number 1 being drafting well and rarely giving away players for free. We are so good at scouting that the Max Stassi trade yesterday has me almost as excited as the Greinke trade. Luhnow continues to show a willingness to be in it for the long haul as well. That's why I've always said we are the next St Louis Cardinals. While they've missed the playoffs a few times lately, they have been competitive for the better part of 20 years with World Series wins to show for it because they draft well and scout relentlessly. There's a phrase in the industry called "cardinal magic" because of their knack for getting what looks like a spare from someone and turning them into a great player. The Astros are just a magical nowadays with that as well.
irish pete ag06
AG
More and more looking like the Forrest butt chugging at tu rumors are true. Bet he goes straight from corpus to Houston on September 1.
Bregxit
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

From the Chronicle...

Quote:

Arizona agreed to send Houston $24 million to offset much of the $74,161,290 Greinke is owed in salary plus $2 million to cover the assignment bonus he gets for being traded. The Diamondbacks pay the Astros $2 million on Nov. 1 for the assignment bonus and pay Houston $3,333,333 on Oct. 15 plus $10,333,333 each on July 1 in 2020 and 2021.

Greinke's $206.5 million, six-year contract includes a $31.5 million salary for this year which has $10,161,290 remaining plus $32 million in each of the next two seasons. His deal defers $10.5 million in 2019 salary and $11 million in each of the next two years, and Houston assumes responsibility for the deferred money being accrued starting Thursday.

I have to assume the above means were are only responsible for the salary that is deferred going forward from Thursday and not that we assume responsibility of all of the deferred money starting on Thursday. Everything I can find says we're basically on the hook for $50-53 million of Zack's remaining contract.
. . .
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/all-aces-astros-get-greinke-in-trade-with-diamondbacks/ar-AAF8Xd3

Arizona agreed to send Houston $24 million to offset much of the $74,161,290 Greinke is owed in salary plus $2 million to cover the assignment bonus he gets for being traded. The Diamondbacks pay the Astros $2 million on Nov. 1 for the assignment bonus and pay Houston $3,333,333 on Oct. 15 plus $10,333,333 each on July 1 in 2020 and 2021.

Greinke's $206.5 million, six-year contract includes a $31.5 million salary for this year - which has $10,161,290 remaining - plus $32 million in each of the next two seasons. His deal defers $10.5 million in 2019 salary and $11 million in each of the next two years, and Houston assumes responsibility for the deferred money being accrued starting Thursday.

• $18M signing bonus (paid in $3M installments each 5/31, 2016-21)
  • 2016:$31M, 2017:$31M, 2018:$31M, 2019:$31.5M, 2020:$32M, 2021:$32M
  • total of $62.5M in salary is deferred ($10M each in 2016-18, $10.5M in 2019, $11M each in 2020-21), to be paid in five installments of $12.5M each 11/1, 2022-26
  • under MLB calculation, deferrals reduce the present-day value of the contract to $193,849,298
  • assignment bonus: $2M if traded
  • limited no-trade protection: may block trades to 15 clubs (Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Colorado, Detroit, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Minnesota, NY Yankees, Oakland, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, St. Louis, Toronto as of 11/18)
  • perks: four premium season tickets (two paid for by Greinke), hotel suite on road trips
  • acquired by Houston in trade from Arizona 7/31/19 with Diamondbacks paying Astros $26M as part of the deal ($2M assignment bonus on 11/1/19, $3,333,334 on 10/15/19 and $10,333,333 each on 7/1/2020 and 7/1/2021
jja79
AG
He's a life long Yankees fan isn't he?
jah003
S
Late to the party... I'm in for one.
JW_TXAG13
AG
Yeah just scroll down. Theres like 3-4 tweets with more videos.
coastalAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

More and more looking like the Forrest butt chugging at tu rumors are true. Bet he goes straight from corpus to Houston on September 1.

Say what now?
Teddy Perkins
AG

Say what you will about Bauer, but this is good form.
Teddy Perkins
AG

OUCH!
First Page Last Page
Page 746 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.