***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

2,430,643 Views | 50695 Replies | Last: 15 sec ago by Ag_07
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the price is right I'd trade Tucker for a 1-2 + years of control

A power hitting outfielder is easier to come by than a good starter

It would sting though
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
iBrad said:

Astros have hit the ball better than the Angels this game. Just not timely with them or lucky with where they're going.
.

This has happened all season. We are like 20th with RISP. Some of that is we get a of guys on, but some of that is we have seen some really bad ABs with runners on.
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else concerned that Tyler White was going to trip and crush Altuve?
KC_Ag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boy I'm glad I missed the 7 game skid on here in the first half. Everyone step away from the ledge... We're 23 games over .500 in mid July. I don't like seeing back-to-back poor outings either, but I also don't think we were hanging our hat on Framber and Rondon before the year started.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

So again, what kind of pitcher can the astros get for tucker? Let's not pretend that is not the bait.
A damn good one.

Who do you plan on starting in the OF in 2021 and after?


That's 3 years away. We have time to figure that out.

We have 2 weeks to find pitching.
Thinking like that is how you close your window of opportunity quickly.

The payroll is going to stay up just to keep most (not all) of our core. We need to continue to backfill with homegrown players.

I am not saying Tucker is untradable, especially with Yordan now, but fans seem to have knee jerk reactions when things aren't going perfectly.
heavens11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alex is a baller
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luhnow. Get to work. Now.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

So again, what kind of pitcher can the astros get for tucker? Let's not pretend that is not the bait.
A damn good one.

Who do you plan on starting in the OF in 2021 and after?


That's 3 years away. We have time to figure that out.

We have 2 weeks to find pitching.
Thinking like that is how you close your window of opportunity quickly.

The payroll is going to stay up just to keep most (not all) of our core. We need to continue to backfill with homegrown players.

I am not saying Tucker is untradable, especially with Yordan now, but fans seem to have knee jerk reactions when things aren't going perfectly.


But I also don't disagree with them in regards to this season. Pitching wins championships. I think the post season rotation is pretty good with JV, Cole, Miley, and #4, but if you could solidify that by including Tucker for a guy with control, I'd do it in a heartbeat given the pitching situation next year.

You do have to evaluate it fairly year to year.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a knee jerk guy usually but this is worrisome.

The thing that worries me is the issues were having are trickle down issues that have adverse affects on the entire staff.

If a couple guys get cold at the plate and the offense sputters no big deal they come around. If 2 put of your 5 rotation spots can't get you 2 IP every time they come around then the BP is fcked, the 40 man roster is fcked, the offense starts behind, etc etc. And that rolls into the next game.

It's a really tough hole to get out of. And that's what concerns me and contributes to me saying yes...We are desperate to find pitching help.
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a disaster. My plane just landed and I turned in the game. What the hell happened?
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's days like yesterday and today that really make you appreciate what Mike Fiers did for the rotation in the middle of 2017
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What I mean is what's happened recently will be felt in October when our BP is full of guys with dead arms.

And the longer it goes on the worse it will get.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agproducer said:

What a disaster. My plane just landed and I turned in the game. What the hell happened?


Rondon happened
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

So again, what kind of pitcher can the astros get for tucker? Let's not pretend that is not the bait.
A damn good one.

Who do you plan on starting in the OF in 2021 and after?


That's 3 years away. We have time to figure that out.

We have 2 weeks to find pitching.
Thinking like that is how you close your window of opportunity quickly.

The payroll is going to stay up just to keep most (not all) of our core. We need to continue to backfill with homegrown players.

I am not saying Tucker is untradable, especially with Yordan now, but fans seem to have knee jerk reactions when things aren't going perfectly.


But I also don't disagree with them in regards to this season. Pitching wins championships. I think the post season rotation is pretty good with JV, Cole, Miley, and #4, but if you could solidify that by including Tucker for a guy with control, I'd do it in a heartbeat given the pitching situation next year.

You do have to evaluate it fairly year to year.
Does pitching win championships?

We had better pitching than the Red Sox last year and the Indians, Red Sox, & Yankees had better pitching than us in 2017.

With as high scoring as the WS has been, I'd say offense is more important.
Aggie8587
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a shame that Altuve finally gets going on a little hot streak lately and we piss it away with this ****ty pitching
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We need a SP and probably 2 bullpen guys if we expect to be in the hunt for a WS. Pitching does win championships. Do you have to have the absolute #1 pitching? No, but no way the Astros get to the WS without significantly upgrading the staff.
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we are in middle of a deal I bet our cost is getting higher by the pitch as the stench of desperation for a pitcher of any quality wafts. Put in Tyler White let him get the final 6 innings
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will reiterate that our 4 and 5 starters (or lack of) have destroyed our bullpen.

Last year our top 3 starters had pitched 390 innings by this time and our #4 and #5 had pitched 225 innings.

This year our top 3 have thrown 363 innings and all other starters have pitched 168 innings.

That is 84 additional innings YTD burden on our bull pen, with most of the burden due to our lack of a #4 or #5. I am comfortable with Harris, Presley and Osuna in the post season if we get them some rest. I am hopeful for Smith and James in post season. McQ has shown some flashes since coming off the IR and maybe Peacock can contribute in the post season as well (both out of the pen).

I think we need a lefty in the pen we can count on and 2 starters that can really chew up some innings in the 2nd half. Maybe one of those starters can be our lefty for the playoffs out of the pen? It is disasterous right now, but it can be fixed with just 2 or 3 pieces and some relief for our relievers (expanded roster and/or using Framber, Devo, Rondon etcetera to chew a bunch of innings and keep the playoff roster relievers fresh to finish up.
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kashchei said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Kashchei said:

Aggie8587 said:

That's ballgame. Of course it's Pujols too.

Wake the **** up Luhnow and do something



Don't question Lunhow. He's infallible around here...


This has been explained to yall a hundred times by now. Nothing is going to happen till the deadline. Period.

We are just going to have to roll with a difficult situation at the 4 and 5 till then. It sucks, but that's the situation, and JL cant just magically make it not reality.


At this rate we'll be looking up at the A's and maybe even the Rangers by then


Hyperbole much?
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It absolutely is worrisome. We've negated some of the wear issues by bringing up a bunch of AAA types to burn innings, but I feel like tired arms showed up in 17 and 18 in the postseason.

I've been saying all along we need to get a 2/3 type and I would be willing to send Tucker away for it, but its going to need to be a big return with a lot of control.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

So again, what kind of pitcher can the astros get for tucker? Let's not pretend that is not the bait.
A damn good one.

Who do you plan on starting in the OF in 2021 and after?


That's 3 years away. We have time to figure that out.

We have 2 weeks to find pitching.
Thinking like that is how you close your window of opportunity quickly.

The payroll is going to stay up just to keep most (not all) of our core. We need to continue to backfill with homegrown players.

I am not saying Tucker is untradable, especially with Yordan now, but fans seem to have knee jerk reactions when things aren't going perfectly.


But I also don't disagree with them in regards to this season. Pitching wins championships. I think the post season rotation is pretty good with JV, Cole, Miley, and #4, but if you could solidify that by including Tucker for a guy with control, I'd do it in a heartbeat given the pitching situation next year.

You do have to evaluate it fairly year to year.
Does pitching win championships?

We had better pitching than the Red Sox last year and the Indians, Red Sox, & Yankees had better pitching than us in 2017.

With as high scoring as the WS has been, I'd say offense is more important.
Ultimately, yes, I think it does. The Red Sox also beat us last year because their starting pitching was really good in that series. The pitching has to be able to keep you in the game until you can get the timely hits.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
also of concern...the Astros have been playing average baseball for quite a while now.

barring a rally tonight...the club will be 11-14 in the last 30 days.

and the malaise really started in the home series vs. the awful Orioles (June 7-8-9) where the team slept walk thru that series
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It absolutely is worrisome. We've negated some of the wear issues by bringing up a bunch of AAA types to burn innings, but I feel like tired arms showed up in 17 and 18 in the postseason.

I've been saying all along we need to get a 2/3 type and I would be willing to send Tucker away for it, but its going to need to be a big return with a lot of control.



Why is control needed? Let's try to win a WS this year.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:

We need a SP and probably 2 bullpen guys if we expect to be in the hunt for a WS. Pitching does win championships. Do you have to have the absolute #1 pitching? No, but no way the Astros get to the WS without significantly upgrading the staff.
We have (had?) the 3rd best ERA in the AL before tonight. How many contenders have 2 Cy Young candidates and 2 top 10 relievers in baseball? Sure they may have the edge in 4/5, but that doesn't decide many October series.
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So far we've had Bregman, Brantley, Alvarez, Springer, and Brantley up with a runner in scoring position. Nothing to show for it.

Pitching sucks, but the hitting is not bailing anybody out.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of coarse

The D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unreal inning
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

We need a SP and probably 2 bullpen guys if we expect to be in the hunt for a WS. Pitching does win championships. Do you have to have the absolute #1 pitching? No, but no way the Astros get to the WS without significantly upgrading the staff.
We have (had?) the 3rd best ERA in the AL before tonight. How many contenders have 2 Cy Young candidates and 2 top 10 relievers in baseball? Sure they may have the edge in 4/5, but that doesn't decide many October series.



I don't know. I'm just telling you this pitching will get us nowhere. Unless they decide to play best of 3 series,
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

It absolutely is worrisome. We've negated some of the wear issues by bringing up a bunch of AAA types to burn innings, but I feel like tired arms showed up in 17 and 18 in the postseason.

I've been saying all along we need to get a 2/3 type and I would be willing to send Tucker away for it, but its going to need to be a big return with a lot of control.



Why is control needed? Let's try to win a WS this year.
We could go all-in on deGrom, Thor, Hand, Stroman, and Madbum and it wouldn't guarantee a WS.

I would like to have a good shot at winning the WS for the next 10 years, not just this year.

Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

We need a SP and probably 2 bullpen guys if we expect to be in the hunt for a WS. Pitching does win championships. Do you have to have the absolute #1 pitching? No, but no way the Astros get to the WS without significantly upgrading the staff.
We have (had?) the 3rd best ERA in the AL before tonight. How many contenders have 2 Cy Young candidates and 2 top 10 relievers in baseball? Sure they may have the edge in 4/5, but that doesn't decide many October series.



I don't know. I'm just telling you this pitching will get us nowhere. Unless they decide to play best of 3 series,
How many postseason games do you expect Rondon to start? Framer to get in?
Aggie8587
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

also of concern...the Astros have been playing average baseball for quite a while now.

barring a rally tonight...the club will be 11-14 in the last 30 days.

and the malaise really started in the home series vs. the awful Orioles (June 7-8-9) where the team slept walk thru that series
Feels a lot like August 2017. Injuries, lack of energy, bad pitching and no timely inning.

All it took 2 years ago was a big move at the deadline (bless you, JV). Let's see who Luhnow snags this time around
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

Of coarse




It was unbelievable to me that he got sent down after doing a phenomenal job picking up the pieces that Framber left in his start last week. In reward for his performance, Sneed got sent down and somehow Framber got yet another chance (and blew it big time).
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:





I don't know. I'm just telling you this pitching will get us nowhere. Unless they decide to play best of 3 series,
and of course the bandbox that is Yankee Stadium will negate some of the Astros' starting pitching advantage
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:

Of coarse




Why the **** did we send him down after he bailed out Framber last week?

What the **** was Hinch thinking?

I do not get his logic, he's done a poor job managing as of late with a lot of boneheaded decisions
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

Of coarse




Why the **** did we send him down after he bailed out Framber last week?

What the **** was Hinch thinking?

I do not get his logic, he's done a poor job managing as of late with a lot of boneheaded decisions


Hinch doesn't decide who goes down and who comes up. That's the GM's job.

No idea what Luhnow was thinking.
Page 616 of 1449
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.