***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,407 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gap said:

Gap said:
Altuve seems to have lost focus. He just isn't very sound in any aspect of the game at this time. His plate discipline seems to have gotten worse. Now add fielding and baserunning trouble.

Cute memes aside, you are still b1tc4ing about a guy that had 4 hits and put us ahead in extras.

titanmaster_race
Ags #1 said:

Is that why everyone stood around for a few seconds? Sure looks low. Either way I don't want robot umps myself.

Ump gets the call in his headset from the robozone. There was a delay in the relay of the call. That's a very small price to pay for getting a call right IMO
bearkatag15
AG
Altuve improved his batting average 10 points tonight from .256 to .266.
Farmer1906
AG
One grainy video on twitter isn't going to sway me. It's long overdue.
bearkatag15
AG
cap-n-jack
I was not for it but listening to Berkman the other night has changed my mind. I think MLB needs to implement it.
Gap
AG
W said:

Josh James' performance tonight boosted his trade value
I starred this before reading the whole thing.

James was big tonight.
Ags #1
AG
So where do we draw the lines then? Does that mean we also get rid of the umps in the field too? Just seems like umps being human is part of the game. But see both sides of it. If anything I wound rather the umps make the call then the autozone over rule them but the umps would never go for that
Ag12thman
AG
Guy simply isn't producing.
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

What's his average since returning after injury?
tamuwx
AG
Sad you have to say that for 30 million a year guy.
Gap
AG
redline248 said:

bearkatag15 said:

He returned on June 19:

Before tonight: 22-79 .278

After tonight: 26-85 .306
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

bearkatag15 said:

What Gap said
bearkatag15
AG
tamuwx said:

The thing is he isn't a 30 million a year guy. His salary this year is $9.5mm and his total cash earned is $16.5mm... I'm really not sure why you keep trying to pitch that narrative. He is coming off a knee surgery. Just now started feeling healthy again and is clearly starting to hit like he has in the past. Get off your ill informed soapbox about Altuve. He has earned his contract.

redline248
AG
Poor Ranger fan
AggiEE
tamuwx said:

Bryce Harper doesn't play for the Astros
Silent For Too Long
bearkatag15 said:

tamuwx said:

The thing is he isn't a 30 million a year guy. His salary this year is $9.5mm and his total cash earned is $16.5mm... I'm really not sure why you keep trying to pitch that narrative. He is coming off a knee surgery. Just now started feeling healthy again and is clearly starting to hit like he has in the past. Get off your ill informed soapbox about Altuve. He has earned his contract.

QFT.

I F with you bear about some of your takes but I honestly get where you are coming from. Anyone throwing Altuve under the bus as he battles back from the first serious injury of his career is absurd.

No player on this roster has earned benefit of the doubt more then Altuve. Give the guy some time to get rolling again.
Silent For Too Long
I have to say, though, I was dismissing Correa trade talk the other day but I have heard from a surprisingly reliable source that the notion isn't as far fetched as it might seem. I still can't fathom it happenining, but supposedly his recent kerfuffle has ticked off the wrong folks in the FO.

It just seems to much of a chemistry risk to me. Stranger things have happened, though.
bearkatag15
AG
It would be hard to believe he would be traded with 2 years of arbitration left. It's not like he will warrant a ton more next year than the $5mm he got this year
AggiEE
Only way I see us giving up Correa is for a legit 1-2 with a few years of control
Agmaniacmike12
Silent For Too Long said:

I have to say, though, I was dismissing Correa trade talk the other day but I have heard from a surprisingly reliable source that the notion isn't as far fetched as it might seem. I still can't fathom it happenining, but supposedly his recent kerfuffle has ticked off the wrong folks in the FO.

It just seems to much of a chemistry risk to me. Stranger things have happened, though.
I highly doubt it happens this season, but I think the Astros would be smart to shop him for pitching in the winter. He's a fantastic talent, but the injuries + future salary ramifications make it easy to see the necessity of getting something in return for him before he inevitably walks.
W
AG
Tyler White reached 240 plate appearances in last night's game.

with a .647 OPS and -0.9 WAR.

still only scored 15 runs all year.

hard to believe that a player that bad...has gotten so much playing time on a championship-level team.

and will continue to get a lot of playing time thru the end of the month
Deluxe
AG
Looks like Tucker got a few more reps at 1B last night at Round Rock
Agnzona
For a team all about analytics is the analytical staff on vacation?

It seems hitter by hitter and pitcher by pitcher that their weakness are pretty obvious and the Analytics should show it.

Also that same analytics should be able to point out the coaching decesions, that seem off this year.

Finally the GM job since the season started is obviously been unresponsive to the holes in the team.
W
AG
Gap said:

W said:

Josh James' performance tonight boosted his trade value
I starred this before reading the whole thing.

James was big tonight.
to get a #3 caliber starter in a trade...the Astros are going to have to give something.

teams will be interested in James
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-A-J-Hinch-on-stealing-first-base-It-s-14092527.php

I like this idea, stealing first on any pitch not caught by the catcher. Also probably leads to more hits as pitchers won't go as far outside the zone or throw the nasty stuff in the dirt as much
Farmer1906
AG
How great would it be if James became that guy? The stuff is obviously here.
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

This should have been happening months ago. Nothing to lose by giving him White's ABs.
AggiEE
Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

This should have been happening months ago. Nothing to lose by giving him White's ABs.

Yeah whenever Correa and Diaz get back up we won't have a need for White at 1B since that's where Yuli goes
Aggie8587
AG
Yuli as your everyday 1B with backup/emergency options in Diaz/Tucker and White off the roster sounds amazing to me
Harry Dunne
Hopefully. Assuming those guys can stay healthy. Bottom line is we have a lot more organizational depth @ OF than we do at 1b and if the guy can be a little more versatile he has a chance to play every day.

Look at the ABs Straw has gotten for himself by being able to play SS.

Also I think we can assume Ole Rib Tickler is going to be out for a significant part of next season, which means Yuli @ 3b.
Deluxe
AG
We kind of end up with a numbers issue if Tucker is part of the plan. As of right now, I think it's pretty clear that Diaz and Correa will be taking White and Kemp's spot on the roster. But if Tucker comes up too, does that mean Straw or Jake is out?
Aggie8587
AG
Deluxe said:

We kind of end up with a numbers issue if Tucker is part of the plan. As of right now, I think it's pretty clear that Diaz and Correa will be taking White and Kemp's spot on the roster. But if Tucker comes up too, does that mean Straw or Jake is out?
Can't we have Straw and Tucker up when rosters expand in September?
Harry Dunne
Yes. I would guess the plan is to keep Kemp and White on the roster until rosters expand. No one wants to hear this but based on all the opportunities White has gotten despite horrible results, the organization believes in him. I can see him getting some sort of fitness ultimatum over the off-season.

I know he's not exactly Josh Hamilton but maybe we need to have a no cheeseburgers in the clubhouse deal and have a guy that shadows him slapping the Twinkies out of his hand.
Deluxe
AG
Correct
First Page Last Page
Page 592 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.