***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

2,954,946 Views | 61425 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AggiEE
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupid format
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

That second round record total is BS. Swing off shouldn't count.


Agree. A&M didn't actually score 74 bs Lsu either.
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the format
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

dlance said:

That second round record total is BS. Swing off shouldn't count.


Agree. A&M didn't actually score 74 bs Lsu either.


mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Love the format

Man you've got all kind of good takes tonight
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do tell?

I'm assuming you believe Mexico is getting an expansion team as well as Nostradamus Harry?


This was the most entertaining derby in history. Format works
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HR derby has Yordan written all over it next year
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
suburban cowboy said:

HR derby has Yordan written all over it next year


Would be phenomenal television
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why do I find this celebrity softball game so entertaining. Every year I end getting sucked in and can't stop watching it.
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably bc it looks fun af and Jennie Finch
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's always a really random set of celebrities
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes if it happens. Most entertaining derby ever I agree but it's because of 2 guys neither of which won.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr.Bond said:

Love the format


I'm with you. I enjoy it too.

Altough Vlad did get kind of screwed having to swing so much more than Pete. Luck of the draw.
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Yes if it happens. Most entertaining derby ever I agree but it's because of 2 guys neither of which won.


Who flipping cares? Do you remember who won every derby? No. You remember the iconic performances and entertainment. Josh Hamilton didn't win in New York under the old format and put on a show for the ages
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mAgnoliAg said:

Yes if it happens. Most entertaining derby ever I agree but it's because of 2 guys neither of which won.


That's sports man. Sometimes the better team or more entertaining team doesn't win the championship.
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why do I find this celebrity softball game so entertaining. Every year I end getting sucked in and can't stop watching it.

I'm always waiting for a real HR over the actual wall. This year looks to have the best chance at that ever
BTKAG97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Probably bc it looks fun af and Jennie Finch


Anybody else hungry?
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Yes if it happens. Most entertaining derby ever I agree but it's because of 2 guys neither of which won.


That's sports man. Sometimes the better team or more entertaining team doesn't win the championship.

This is not a team
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BTKAG97 said:

suburban cowboy said:

Probably bc it looks fun af and Jennie Finch


Anybody else hungry?


Yea I'd eat that
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of Astros related questions and topics:

1) What are the expectations for the return to the MLB roster for Correa, Diaz, Peacock, and Joe Smith?

2) Who will start the first 5 games after the break in addition to Verlander, Cole, and Miley? I'm guessing Cy Sneed and Framber Valdez (with Jose Urquidy sent down).
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Quote:

Bauer combines attributes the Yankees and many others are pursuing he is durable (he leads the majors in innings) and his stuff can be overwhelming. He also is not a free agent until after the 2020 season. The Astros, who have Gerrit Cole coming to free agency after losing Charlie Morton and Dallas Keuchel from last year's team, are said to be among the most interested, in part because of Bauer's control next season.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The clubhouse would be something to behold.
tjholley16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gap said:

A couple of Astros related questions and topics:

1) What are the expectations for the return to the MLB roster for Correa, Diaz, Peacock, and Joe Smith?

2) Who will start the first 5 games after the break in addition to Verlander, Cole, and Miley? I'm guessing Cy Sneed and Framber Valdez (with Jose Urquidy sent down).


I think AJ said Valdez goes Thursday night
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:



Quote:

Bauer combines attributes the Yankees and many others are pursuing he is durable (he leads the majors in innings) and his stuff can be overwhelming. He also is not a free agent until after the 2020 season. The Astros, who have Gerrit Cole coming to free agency after losing Charlie Morton and Dallas Keuchel from last year's team, are said to be among the most interested, in part because of Bauer's control next season.


Bauer is a better pitcher than Archer was.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Indians will demand Tucker, Whitley, Beer, etc but then end up trading him to the Yankees for their 20th best prospect.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shano0603 said:

bearkatag15 said:



Quote:

Bauer combines attributes the Yankees and many others are pursuing he is durable (he leads the majors in innings) and his stuff can be overwhelming. He also is not a free agent until after the 2020 season. The Astros, who have Gerrit Cole coming to free agency after losing Charlie Morton and Dallas Keuchel from last year's team, are said to be among the most interested, in part because of Bauer's control next season.


Bauer is a better pitcher than Archer was.
The Rays got a fantastic package for Archer. Glasnow was every bit the prospect Whitley was if not more, but he was kind of floundering in Pit. I think the change of scenery really helped him. Meadows was another well thought of guy. I don't think we want to give up that much.
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't want to come close to giving up that much for him. He had 1 good season. This year he's been good, not great.
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd give up one (Tucker, or Whitley) for Bauer. It sucks because chances are high both of them will probably be good major leaguers. Key word being "probably". Bauer has already proved he can be a great MLB'r.

Biggest takeaway to me is this season, and next IMO are the two biggest years remaining we have at winning another World Series. Not saying he can't happen later but I'd take my chances this year and next.

Gerrit is possibly gone, Altuve get older, Correa is glass, Verlander contract coming up along with Springer presents questions marks in the near future. Biggest thing is every minor league pitcher called up this year has not proved to be able to consistently help the club.

If not Bauer we need to go after another proven front end SP if not for this year at least next.

Bauer>Miley
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shano0603 said:

I wouldn't want to come close to giving up that much for him. He had 1 good season. This year he's been good, not great.
High flyball rate and hard-hit rate are both up as well as his still very good K rate being down from last year. There are some red flags.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But we know Bauer is open and willing to analytics and what not.

I think he's one that would improve significantly under Strom.

One thing I'd be weary of is his public comments on not wanting to sign a long term deal. I think he's said before he wants to sign a bunch of 1 year deals once he becomes a FA after 2020. So do you want to give that much for a guy who may only be around 1.5 years?

Quote:

"I'll go year-to-year my entire career," said Bauer, who is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2020 season. "Why would you lock yourself in a situation that may not make you happy? I think that's highly inefficient. Everybody is afraid of risk. Everyone is scared.

"It's still unproven how clubs feel about it, but looking at the market, and studying it, I identified for myself personally that it's the best route to go forward."
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In one way it's kinda cool that a dude is willing to bet on himself like that. I like that edge in a player. As much as we hate the guy, I think he'd thrive on this team.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are certainly pros and cons to a year by year approach. Injury is probably a bigger risk. Maximizing earning potential would be lower, imo. You probably have more trade leverage, though. Idk, I would have to think a little while to decide how much benefit there is to the player.

Edit: not that year to year increases injury risk, just that getting injured could really screw you on the next deal.
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Who else is rocking Astros gear to the office today? I hope our boys do well tonight!
http://houseofhouston.com/author/dshedd/
Water Turkey07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

"I'll go year-to-year my entire career," said Bauer, who is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2020 season. "Why would you lock yourself in a situation that may not make you happy?
Gives me the impression that he is the kind of guy that values winning and his overall career more than guaranteed money. He's been fun to hate as a member of another team but like others have mentioned he would probably fit in well here.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My hate for Tyler has subsided since seeing that him and Bregman's back and forth is mostly good natured ribbing.

He's a weird cat no doubt and goes against the grain on a bunch of stuff. Would love to have him in this rotation.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with the 1 year approach but just something a GM considering a trade for him would have to consider. You just have to know he's a guy who isn't looking to settle down into one spot and chances are increased he's only around for 1.5 years.