***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,922 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15
AG

This is interesting.
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

This is interesting.

I don't know how you take Yuli out of the lineup when Correa gets back, though.
irish pete ag06
AG
W said:

the Astros and Angels have 14 games left against one another.

will be plenty of opportunities for retaliation if LAAA wants to go that way

Yep. This little series is liable to get chippy.
mazag08
AG
I didn't see it, was the Jake / Lucroy collision really a violation of the rule by Jake? Radio guys said he tried to go right and Lucroy who was already blocking the plate moved and blocked him.
PSully97
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

W said:

100% chance Jake is gonna wear one. Hope he takes it like a man and both teams move on.
mazag08
AG
PSully97 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

W said:

100% chance Jake is gonna wear one. Hope he takes it like a man and both teams move on.

If they purposely hit him after he tried to get out of the way and then did the only thing any other player in the world would have done, then I Hope Cole puts one in Trouts teeth.
PSully97
AG
If they purposefully hit guys for taking a little too long to round the bases after a HR I'm pretty sure they're going to plunk Jake. Based on Ausmus' postgame comments I don't think the Angels have the same take on the play that you do.
mazag08
AG
PSully97 said:

If they purposefully hit guys for taking a little too long to round the bases after a HR I'm pretty sure they're going to plunk Jake. Based on Ausmus' postgame comments I don't think the Angels have the same take on the play that you do.

Then I hope we retaliate. But we won't.

Hinch will apologize for Jake getting hit despite doing nothing wrong.

God, if everyone was this much of a puss throughout history we would have ghost runners already. Lucroy brought this completely on himself. If you don't want to get run over, don't block the plate and then adjust after the runner tries to avoid you.
iBrad
AG
Maybe Ausmus needs more time to watch replays. Lucroy is not in the hospital if he holds his ground.
PSully97
AG
I guess for me that depends if its a fastball to the head or a slider to the butt cheek. With the latter I think you call it even and move on.
mazag08
AG
PSully97 said:

I guess for me that depends if its a fastball to the head or a slider to the butt cheek. With the latter I think you call it even and move on.

I don't call that even. Even IF it was dirty, Jake was trying to maximize his chance at scoring. Beaning him would be 100% petty and purposeful, and in no way be trying to win the game. So we would not be even. They would now be due theirs.
PSully97
AG
I don't know that I'm going to find much common ground with a dude that wants a fastball thrown at Mike Trout's teeth, so we can just agree to disagree.
mazag08
AG
PSully97 said:

I don't know that I'm going to find much common ground with a dude that wants a fastball thrown at Mike Trout's teeth, so we can just agree to disagree.

Only if they wrongly retaliate at Jake.
Guitarsoup
AG

Buddy of mine took this. Look at his jaw.

Don't block the plate, *******.
Ag_07
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

This is interesting.

You sell high. That's how
Farmer1906
AG
I don't want to start any kind of rivalry or heated match ups with the Angels this year.
Mr.Bond
AG
We need a real rivalry anyway those pendejos in Southern Oklahoma don't provide much entertainment value
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

W
AG
that's a great photo
Ag_07
AG
At first I thought it was a bad call. After seeing it from multiple angles I think by the letter of the law it's was a good call but it's the rule that's whack.

I think it was the simple fact that Jake made no attempt to slide and went barreling in with the shoulder down. Think of it this way...If Jake would've just slid feet first into Lucroy would the call have been overturned the other way and interference been called? I think so.

I think all Jake has to do is slide and his run gets counted.
AgDoc03
AG
Ag_07 said:

AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

This is interesting.

You sell high. That's how

Or wait for Correa to sneeze and miss another 2 months.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ags #1
AG
Lucroy got the out but also may have cost himself 10-20 games on the IL.
W
AG
of course the Astros will be in Anaheim July 15th thru the 18th.

then the Angels return to MMP in late August.

the Angels (45-46) are a strange animal. When looking at their roster...they have talent and quite a bit of elite talent. But the sum on the parts is greater than the whole. And it's been that way for a while in Anaheim
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Correa for a tier one starting pitcher with at least 2 years control and a minor league high prospect
Hulla Baller
AG
Does anyone here honestly think we are going to trade Correa this season?
agproducer
AG
Ag_07 said:

At first I thought it was a bad call. After seeing it from multiple angles I think by the letter of the law it's was a good call but it's the rule that's whack.

I think it was the simple fact that Jake made no attempt to slide and went barreling in with the shoulder down. Think of it this way...If Jake would've just slid feet first into Lucroy would the call have been overturned the other way and interference been called? I think so.

I think all Jake has to do is slide and his run gets counted.

I was at the game, then later saw the replay. It looked to me live when it happened, Jake was trying to slide, but Lucroy got in the way. On replay, it looked to me that Jake was going to slide head first on the inside part of the plate. When he realized Lucroy was blocking that he tried to adjust to go outside, Lucroy moved with him and they collided. It didn't to me look intentional.

As far as Jake getting plunked, if the Angels want to plunk him in the hip, fine. Jake should take it like a man, even with the collision being an accident. There's no reason to go tit for tat on this.
irish pete ag06
AG
W said:

of course the Astros will be in Anaheim July 15th thru the 18th.

then the Angels return to MMP in late August.

the Angels (45-46) are a strange animal. When looking at their roster...they have talent and quite a bit of elite talent. But the sum on the parts is greater than the whole. And it's been that way for a while in Anaheim

Them and the Rangers are gonna be in a heated battle for 3rd in the west for a long time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I wouldn't be surprised to see MLB fine and suspend Marisnick for a couple games coming out of the break. Certainly I don't think he intended to truck him like he did, but all the talking heads and MLB leadership will see is the slow-mo replay. To those guys, perception is reality. I imagine he'll appeal it, but I don't think he avoids sitting a game or two. Odor got 7 or 8 games for giving Bautista the business a few years ago, so I wouldn't expect it to be any worse than 2-4 games.

One good point some of the guys on MLBN did make was where was the on-deck guy in the play? I could be wrong, but I didn't see Springer in any of the replays trying to give him direction for where to slide. That certainly would have helped and may have avoided the whole situation.
Charlie Conway
After watching the replay several times since I didn't watch the game live, I can honestly say 100 % without a doubt that you can see whatever you want to see while watching the clip. As an Astros fan it looks to me like Jake tries to go inside and Lucroy falls to that part of the plate in front of Jake. But trying to look at it from the other side I can see where it looks like he tried to lay him out.

With all that said I think it's pretty clear it's unintentional based on Jake's reaction and how he tried to spin, or roll, away from the contact. But seriously **** Brad Ausmus though, anybody that calls a player out like that is a real piece of **** in my book.
Gap
AG
Simple question: why is Lucroy blocking the plate without the ball?

MLB's solution to stop collisions at the plate was to stop catchers from blocking the plate even telling ump that they can call a runner tagged out safe if the catcher blocked the plate. Here, we have a catcher blocking the plate without the ball and the throw coming from RF where catching it would not take him across the baseline as a throw from LF or CF might and MLB and many here are going 100% against the new rule and protocol to take the blame off of Lucroy and try putting it on Marisnick. Marisnick's butt landed on the plate so there is no argument that he was out of the baseline.

The runner has a right to get to the plate and under the new rule, the catcher should only be in the baseline if he already has the ball or if the throw takes him there. That simply didn't happen here. Lucroy was somewhere he didn't belong under the new rule. And under the old rules, the collision was allowable and the catcher knew what he was getting into by deciding to block the plate.

Notice the ball in this clip. Lucroy doesn't have it.

AggiEE
Yeah that second clip makes it clear

He was blocking the plate, moved to his right at the last second to avoid a collision, and Jake made the same move to avoid the collision not knowing where Lucroy is going to move.

I feel bad that he got injured but this is on Lucroy and not Jake.

Umps got the call wrong just because it led to injury which is a shame. Jake could have easily been injured as well due to Lucroy's mistake. Hope he comes out and says what happened and that there's no hard feelings.

Ausmus should be ashamed for making a knee jerk comment about suspension, if a play like that leads to suspension it should be Lucroy
tjack16
AG
I think the main issue I've seen from angels fans and people who are against Jake in this scenario is that it doesn't look like he's sliding ... they are saying it looks like he's diving at Lucroy.

It's like the targeting rule in college football. There wasn't a way to avoid hitting him like that, but he did.
Charlie Conway
tjholley16 said:

I think the main issue I've seen from angels fans and people who are against Jake in this scenario is that it doesn't look like he's sliding ... they are saying it looks like he's diving at Lucroy.

It's like the targeting rule in college football. There wasn't a way to avoid hitting him like that, but he did.
off balance and spinning isn't the way you run into somebody though. Watch the video on the last page, it's pretty clear he steps one way, then the other. If you tried to do that to actually hit somebody in a sport where collisions are encouraged you would have a bad time.
Ags #1
AG
My biggest fear is they try and hit one of our stars and breaks a hand or something like that. They hit Jake that's fine. Hit bregman and we should ear hole trout
n_touch
AggiEE said:

Jake could have easily been injured as well due to Lucroy's mistake.
I don't see that Lucroy made a mistake. I think he went that direction on purpose hoping to get the call and they did, other than a collision and call Jake is safe. I just don't think he expected that big of a hit. We sat behind the Bullpen the other day and even from that distance, Jake is a big man. Not sure what Lucroy was thinking trying to take him on.
First Page Last Page
Page 532 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.