***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,850,612 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Yea that was more Yuli figuring things out and mashing the ball.

Yep...seems his performance against Seattle at MMP was quickly forgotten.
Agnzona
W said:

Bregman is back on pace for 100 runs scored and 100 RBI (like last year).

both he and Brantley hit a lull in June. They had to play every day and carry the load offensively. Should have big second halves with the lineup almost at full strength

And 100 walks....
expresswrittenconsent
Do we rock thejuly 4th RWB hats tomorrow then? I cant imagine MLB would let "the schedule" prevent an opportunity to sell another lid.
Harry Dunne
Rockies are off today as well and play @ Arizona tomorrow. Would have been so easy to play Wednesday and Thursday instead of having today off.

E - MLB scheduler.
AgFan1999
AG
Teams can wear them until the All Star break.
Ag_07
AG
Yuli was raking before the trip to Coors. His hot steak started here.
McInnis
AG
About 3 weeks ago a poster wanted to bet any taker that tubby would have a higher WAR by season's end than Yuli. Loser would self ban. I tried to find the post but looks like it's been deleted. Anyone remember who that was?
Farmer1906
AG
IDK, but why would you want someone on this thread to be banned because they had a different opinion of a player than you.
bearkatag15
AG
Harry... he has admitted he was wrong.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

IDK, but why would you want someone on this thread to be banned because they had a different opinion of a player than you.
I don't want anyone banned. That was his offer for a bet.
Harry Dunne
No one took me up on the bet...and the season ain't over!

In all seriousness I'm as happy as all of you that I was wrong and Yuli is doing well.
W
AG
the Angels (44-44) are in town to close the first half of the season.

Heaney is starting Friday night vs. JV.

He's been terrible this year (5.40 ERA), but historically Heaney's been tough on the Astros (3.15 career ERA vs. Houston).

Saturday's and Sunday's starters are listed as TBD
bearkatag15
AG
Oh my...

tremble
AG
1B prospect, right? Maybe we will actually hit on one of them after the last results.
Harry Dunne
I hear Beltran went down there and told him to look at the ball with both eyes.
Post removed:
by user
agdaddy04
AG
third coast.. said:

Harry Dunne said:

I hear Beltran went down there and told him to look at the ball with both eyes.

Speaking of that helpful hint, iant that something that a major leaguer would already be doing and not a hot tip to get multiple years in to your championship winning career?

If they were always doing what they "should" be doing then there wouldn't be much need for coaches.
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
third coast.. said:

Keep your eye on the ball seems like basic level stuff that shouldn't require hall of fame major leaguer coaching though. I mean come on...
Technically he's now keeping his eyes on the ball and not just eye
Post removed:
by user
Buck Compton
AG
third coast.. said:

You know what I meant
I don't know what's so hard to believe. Sometimes you don't even realize what you're not doing correctly. You get in a groove (or in a rut).

Looking at the ball with both eyes helps with depth perception and spin recognition. But you can very easily drift to one eye without realizing it. If you ever read moneyball, the story of chad Bradford that isn't explained in the movie was that he didn't even realize he was throwing truly submarine. And didn't realize how much further down he kept going until he scraped his knuckles on dirt delivering a pitch. He had consciously lowered his mechanics to sidearm, but kept going lower as it improved results without realizing he was.

The eyes piece is just a mechanics issue in Yuli's swing that broke down. It's fixed now and you see the results. Anything on the inside-middle portion of the plate gets tattooed. He's recognizing his pitch and starting his swing earlier due to that recognition and can get to that pitch, especially up in the zone. It's more complex than "keep your eyes on the ball".
W
AG
hold on, now some guy named Felix Pena is starting for the Angels tonight. Heaney moved back to Saturday
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

hold on, now some guy named Felix Pena is starting for the Angels tonight. Heaney moved back to Saturday

I'm seeing Noe Ramirez starting for LAA
W
AG
Ausmus can't make up his mind or it's a bullpen game for LAAA
EastCoastAgNc
AG

bearkatag15
AG
The Hooks promotion team might have messed this one up lol

dshedd41
S
https://www.mlb.com/news/corbin-martin-has-tommy-john-surgery
Gig’em Aggies!
Hulla Baller
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The Hooks promotion team might have messed this one up lol

Must be a tanned version of him.
W
AG
yes, as we've discussed...the Astros will need to make a serious run at resigning Cole.

unless Luhnow can get Syndergaard (or equivalent) at the deadline
CSWendt
I was the poster who has been slightly disapointed with Bregman this year. I didn't say he's been bad, he's just not having the same year as last year.

And I'm not talking about BA, like you claim. Bregman has never hit much higher than .280 so I could care less. I'm talking about his impact this season. Last season he was our best player because he always seemed to come through in the clutch in big moments. His numbers this year don't reflect that. In fact, the show that most of his damage comes in the less meaningful portions of games, rather than late, with men on, or other clutch times.

Don't just be fooled because he still has a high OPS, that he's having the exact same year. Joey Gallo posted a high OPS for years and nobody wanted him up in a key situation.

Edit: nobody has bothered to actually look at his stats in clutch moments. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
AggiEE
W said:

yes, as we've discussed...the Astros will need to make a serious run at resigning Cole.

unless Luhnow can get Syndergaard (or equivalent) at the deadline

I think we will give him a good offer but we will get outbid by a larger club. I wouldn't overpay for Cole given that we have some other players to try and retain.

I think it's probably best to try and trade for a solid starter with years of control, hopefully resign Miley, and hope LJM comes back strong.
Farmer1906
AG
CSWendt said:

I was the poster who has been slightly disapointed with Bregman this year. I didn't say he's been bad, he's just not having the same year as last year.

And I'm not talking about BA, like you claim. Bregman has never hit much higher than .280 so I could care less. I'm talking about his impact this season. Last season he was our best player because he always seemed to come through in the clutch in big moments. His numbers this year don't reflect that. In fact, the show that most of his damage comes in the less meaningful portions of games, rather than late, with men on, or other clutch times.

Don't just be fooled because he still has a high OPS, that he's having the exact same year. Joey Gallo posted a high OPS for years and nobody wanted him up in a key situation.

Edit: nobody has bothered to actually look at his stats in clutch moments. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
High Leverage

2018 (127 PA)

2019 (64 PA)

He was elite last year and just above average this year. Seems like a smallish sample to pick from. He hasn't had the protection he had last year either. A hot July and he'll be clutch again. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

CSWendt said:

High Leverage

2018 (127 PA)

2019 (64 PA)

He was elite last year and just above average this year. Seems like a smallish sample to pick from. He hasn't had the protection he had last year either. A hot July and he'll be clutch again. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Point is this is what CWendt and myself were discussing and everyone jumped on us like we were trying to degrade him. Sure, we can't expect the same impact as 2018 as that was elite as you say, but it's still a relevant topic of discussion.

As far as the part about protection, certainly not as the whole of the entire line-up, but he has had Brantely behind him almost all year.

It's ok to acknowledge the drop off and pick it as an area of improvement for the rest of the year and not be degrading him. I still want him up in all of those situations every game.
CFTXAG10
AG
Prosperdick
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

That's a strong...to quite strong, lineup.
First Page Last Page
Page 509 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.