***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,231 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't look now but Miley is currently 21rst among starting pitchers in ERA.

Really, if you start matching him up with other teams number 3s, the only playoff teams that arguably have the same or better are the Dodgers and the Twins.

JL hinted at this in his interview and they touched in it in the post game, but the Astros dont really need a number 3, they just need a quality starting pitcher.

Now if you can upgrade over Miley for the right price you take it, but I could definitely see them not willing to trade top prospects on marginal upgrade to your 3 spot.
Ag_07
AG
Like I've said....McHugh Is a BP arm. He's not a starter and should not be an option as a spot starter.

Him being a good to really good reliever is WAY more valuable than him being a mediocre starter.
bearkatag15
AG

Guess we will see him in 2021
n_touch
Bregman to face Joc Pederson in the first round of the derby. Hope he sits him down quick. He was annoying during the WS.
Philip J Fry
AG
Might explain his sudden drop off in performance. Sucks he's going through that already.
Agmaniacmike12
Silent For Too Long said:

Don't look now but Miley is currently 21rst among starting pitchers in ERA.

Really, if you start matching him up with other teams number 3s, the only playoff teams that arguably have the same or better are the Dodgers and the Twins.

JL hinted at this in his interview and they touched in it in the post game, but the Astros dont really need a number 3, they just need a quality starting pitcher.

Now if you can upgrade over Miley for the right price you take it, but I could definitely see them not willing to trade top prospects on marginal upgrade to your 3 spot.
I think the major approach involves the need for a controllable arm to offset Cole's likely departure after this season. We've been linked much more to Stroman/Boyd vs. Madbum up to this point.
mwm
Springer, Altuve & Brantley all go 0-fer last night and we still won. That's a good sign.
BCSGrubber
AG
Outside of stub hub where is a good place to look for tickets for tomorrow's game?
bearkatag15
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Outside of stub hub where is a good place to look for tickets for tomorrow's game?

I like the Gametime app
CoachRTM
AG
TickPick is my go to site. No fees.
Ag_07
AG
I prefer SeatGeek
spadilly
S
CoachRTM said:

TickPick is my go to site. No fees.

+1 here. That's what we use 90% of the time.
JABQ04
AG
What kind of a ****ing communist doesn't schedule Astros baseball for the 4th of July.

Tea drinking, taxing with out representing, quartering redcoats in our house sum-*****.
strohag
AG
I'm glad we have another game off. Keep these guys rested.
CFTXAG10
AG
I just assumed the A's won last night but the Twins came back and took it in the 12th. Pushes the division lead back up to 8 games, which happens to be the largest division lead in the AL.
Farmer1906
AG
How good has Bregman?

2018+2019

WAR - 11.3 (4th)
wRC+ - 155 (6th)
wOBA - .393 (8th)
HR - 54 (11th)
Runs - 163 (7th)
RBI - 158 (11th)
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How good has Bregman?

2018+2019

WAR - 11.3 (4th)
wRC+ - 155 (6th)
wOBA - .393 (8th)
HR - 54 (11th)
Runs - 163 (7th)
RBI - 158 (11th)

Wasn't someone saying he hasn't been good enough this season?
Harry Dunne
Yes. Nitpicking about his RISP. Also last night Miley needed to "get his $h1t together"!

We've got some real mother in law types around here!
irish pete ag06
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How good has Bregman?

2018+2019

WAR - 11.3 (4th)
wRC+ - 155 (6th)
wOBA - .393 (8th)
HR - 54 (11th)
Runs - 163 (7th)
RBI - 158 (11th)

Yes. Deserves to be shamed.

I've noticed a trend. It's batting average based. If someone ever bats over .300... then they don't, the Uber casual fan thinks they aren't the same.
Harry Dunne
I agree. Its the stats we grew up with - BA, HR, RBI...R & SB to a smaller extent. That's still what they show on the main graphic. I'll admit I still get that warm fuzzy feeling when I see the .300 avg,

Farmer1906
AG
I've almost ignored BA the last year or so. Who cares if you hit 275 or 315 as long as your OPS is 900
Harry Dunne
I agree overall. It is harder though for an offense to be consistent with too many feast or famine guys where that high OPS comes from power with low average. Bregman is different because he walks a lot, so he's on base as much as most .300 hitters.

dshedd41
S
Happy Independence Day Astros fans
Gig’em Aggies!
Buck Compton
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Yes. Nitpicking about his RISP. Also last night Miley needed to "get his $h1t together"!

We've got some real mother in law types around here!
Yep, that was me on Miley last night through like 3 innings.

He walked the opening two batters on 10 pitches and fell behind the third 3-0. Thankfully the batter inexplicably swung at a 3-0 pitch up and out of the zone and popped up. He fell behind 5 of 6 batters faced in the first. Clean second inning even though he fell behind 2 of 3 hitters, thought he had gotten past the jitters. Then in the third, he fell behind guys again, allowed a couple base runners on singles, but thankfully managed to pitch out of the jam and was somewhere around 60 pitches.

But he did get his **** together and pitched a hell of a game in the end. Even Blum and TK commented on the fact that he salvaged the outing after struggling to find his command early. His innings 4-6 were awesome. Only fell behind like 4 of 11 batters and didn't allow multiple runners in an inning again. Not a single 2-0 or 3-1 hole. He did a great job in the end by finding that command and getting through 6 innings.
Harry Dunne
Keep in mind this is coming from the guy that a couple of weeks ago said Yuli was finished, so I have all of that credibility of never having jumped the gun in my pocket...

Regardless of the circumstances, 6 IP 1 R is not "salvaging an outing", especially in Coors. That's nearly as good of a performance as you will ever see there.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Maybe it was mentioned a few days ago and I missed it but where is pettis?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Maybe it was mentioned a few days ago and I missed it but where is pettis?
Knee surgery, back after the break.
spadilly
S
July 4 and no baseball??

Panama Red
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Keep in mind this is coming from the guy that a couple of weeks ago said Yuli was finished, so I have all of that credibility of never having jumped the gun in my pocket...

Regardless of the circumstances, 6 IP 1 R is not "salvaging an outing", especially in Coors. That's nearly as good of a performance as you will ever see there.

Salvage means to save from disaster. That's exactly what he did

Ended up pitching a great game.

Great fast game
Jackal99
AG
dshedd14 said:

Happy Independence Day Astros fans

Well I'm standing at attention.
Beat40
irish pete ag06 said:

gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How good has Bregman?

2018+2019

WAR - 11.3 (4th)
wRC+ - 155 (6th)
wOBA - .393 (8th)
HR - 54 (11th)
Runs - 163 (7th)
RBI - 158 (11th)

Yes. Deserves to be shamed.

I've noticed a trend. It's batting average based. If someone ever bats over .300... then they don't, the Uber casual fan thinks they aren't the same.

It was most likely another poster and myself. We weren't saying he's having a bad season. In fact, we acknowledged he's having a great season. The discussion wasn't about batting average, OPS, or anything like that. It was about batting with RISP.

We were just saying the one area he could do better this year is his batting with RISP. If I recall, the numbers on the year thus far seems below average. Do you disagree?

The point was that he was trending toward 105 RBIs this year, which is nothing to sneeze at, but if he had done better with RISP, he could have trended toward 120+.

I also think Bregman would say the same thing.
W
AG
Bregman is back on pace for 100 runs scored and 100 RBI (like last year).

both he and Brantley hit a lull in June. They had to play every day and carry the load offensively. Should have big second halves with the lineup almost at full strength
W
AG
Yuli gets a lot of credit for taking advantage of Coors Field. Have to do that when you get a chance to play there. It's a hitters paradise. Go forth and rake.

on the flipside...that's what was so disappointing about the trip to Cincinnati. It's a great place to hit and the Astros didn't do much of that.

looking ahead to the second half...there are roadtrips to Miller Park, Camden Yards, and the Rogers Centre. More hitters paradises. Time to fatten up the stats
Farmer1906
AG
Did Yuli? (asking seriously... and then answering)

HR1
95.8 Exit Velo
27 Launch Angle
.260 xBA

HR2
101.5 Exit Velo
24 Launch Angle
.650 xBA

HR3
106.5 Exit Velo
22 Launch Angle

2/3 were out pretty much everywhere.
mazag08
AG
Yea that was more Yuli figuring things out and mashing the ball.
First Page Last Page
Page 508 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.