***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,625 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Six 'stros. I'll take it. You know Correa, Cheerios, & Osuna we're close too

And a bunch of ex Astros too.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
redline248
AG
While 1 AB is better than 0, I would also prefer him to get at least one game with full ABs.

Maybe the knee issue is lingering
gougler08
AG
redline248 said:

While 1 AB is better than 0, I would also prefer him to get at least one game with full ABs.

Maybe the knee issue is lingering

My guess is the knee isn't 100% and so they don't want him to aggravate it playing in the field
Farmer1906
AG
That and the OF is large and you have to play deep. It's not an easy place to play like LF at MMP.
Mathguy64
AG
My guess it's a big ass outfield and they don't want to play him out there
W
AG
so Cole is now 2 for 2 in making the all-star game as an Astro.

reading the terrain going forward...I think Luhnow probably needs to make a big offer to Cole to try to keep him. Perhaps something like 6 years at $180 MM. Otherwise the starting rotation looks very sketchy for 2020 after JV. Not sure Corbin or Whitley will be ready for full-time work. And LMj will be coming back from injury
redline248
AG
I would hate to see Cole walk, bc as far as I know we don't have anyone that good in the farm and there is no guarantee in free agency.
agdaddy04
AG
This will be first time to Coors Field, any Recs on areas to sit or avoid?
expresswrittenconsent
3rd base side will be shaded first. I was in Denver this week (just missed the stros) but went to the friday dodgers game. It was mid 90s the whole time, really hot for the game. These were 640 local starts and the sun is out until the 5th or so.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

I would hate to see Cole walk, bc as far as I know we don't have anyone that good in the farm and there is no guarantee in free agency.

Lunhow is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat for a starter with multiple years of control that's undervalued and whom Strom can turn around

Cole will be too expensive I reckon
Ag_07
AG
I'm not saying Cole is gone but I'm fairly certain he will test the FA market and make us win a bidding war.

I'm not sure we wanna pay him more than everyone else.

And yes...The starting rotation next year is gonna look a lot different. Whitley getting his shlt together would help.
Silent For Too Long
It will largely depend on what we get coming up at the trade deadline. If it's a pitcher with a few years of control we are in a better position to let Cole walk.

I'm not sure if some of you have fully grasped the current payroll situation and the luxury shift cap. We only have so much to spend and have a lot of big names to sign. That's why the calls for a pricey 1rst baseman are a little out of touch. We are paying league minimum for the position right now and still have just enough room for another quality SP.

Its going to be fascinating to see how JL juggles all these issues. The great new is we have a solid core already locked down past 2020.
Silent For Too Long
Dp
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

I'm not saying Cole is gone but I'm fairly certain he will test the FA market and make us win a bidding war.

I'm not sure we wanna pay him more than everyone else.

And yes...The starting rotation next year is gonna look a lot different. Whitley getting his shlt together would help.

This is another reason why not signing CFM bothers me. An extra year with him, Verlander, and LMJ would make 2020 a lot more solid.

Hopefully we can resign Miley to a reasonable deal
Silent For Too Long
Yeah, I do to. He's the exact contract that fits. And he's great.

ETA: in regards to CFM.
Silent For Too Long
Also, I know the minor league guys haven't impressive this year, their are still some talented arms. Another year to develop will hopefully provide us with some quality starts from that group.
Frok
AG
mathguy86 said:

So what, his bat will make up for his supposively bad fielding.
PoppaB05
AG
Was there last week on Thursday, it's a beautiful place to see a game. As the other poster said, sit on the 3rd base side to be in the shade. Otherwise it will be warm the first half of the game.
Ag_07
AG
Charlie wanted 3 years...That's a disaster waiting to happen.

While he looks great so far I'm still skeptical he'll hold up all season.

The big mistake wasn't not signing Charlie it was not extending the QO to either have him for 1 year or get the draft compensation.
jakeaggie84
AG
agdaddy04 said:

This will be first time to Coors Field, any Recs on areas to sit or avoid?

Went last year on July 3rd. Our row was the purple row on the upper deck. Found out that purple row signifies 1 mile above sea level. Also, the fireworks they had that night for Independence Day we pretty amazing. Took forever to get them going but lasted almost an hour!
BarryProfit
Frok said:

mathguy86 said:

So what, his bat will make up for his supposively bad fielding.

They don't want him playing the field with his gimpy knee right now, worried about him tweaking it and been on the shelf. Seems reasonable.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
going back to the luxury tax discussion...

the limit for 2019 is $206 MM.

the limit for 2020 is $208 MM.

according to Spotrac...the Red Sox and Cubs are the teams over the limit in 2019. The Astros are the next closest --- approximately $7 MM under the limit.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/tax/

the luxury tax calculations can be a little confusing. But it would seem that signing Cole to a $25 MM-plus annual salary would put the Astros over the limit for 2020. In part because no major contracts are coming off the books after the 2019 season.

if Cole is not resigned, then his departure would appear to free up $13 MM (under the luxury tax limit)
Mathguy64
AG
That seems way off. The Yankees have roughly $245 MM on the books this year for their 40 man. Thats according to baseball reference. Thats a pretty big discrepancy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10
AG

W
AG
that's where things get murky. Cash payroll isn't necessarily the same amount as luxury tax payroll for a given player
Deluxe
AG
More on Urquidy...

Sounds like he doesn't really have a plus fastball or breaking ball but deceptive change up and throws strikes.

Quote:

Urquidy has demonstrated the best control and command in the system since the Astros purchased him from the Mexican League's Mexico City Red Devils for $100,000 in 2015. After missing all of 2017 following Tommy John surgery, he made a successful return last season and starred in the Carolina League playoffs as high Class A Buies Creek won the championship. He has continued to pound the strike zone after making the jump to Double-A in 2019.

Urquidy has to locate his pitches with precision because he can't overpower hitters. His best offering is a plus changeup with fade that he sells well by maintaining his fastball arm speed. His heater parks in the low 90s and peaks at 95 mph with some armside run.

His biggest need is to improve his soft curveball because right-handers have teed off on Urquidy since his elbow reconstruction. He has proven that he can deliver strike after strike but still has to show he can miss enough bats to succeed against advanced hitters. Projected as a middle reliever or swing man, his floor stands out more than his ceiling.
Deluxe
AG
Wonder what the corresponding roster move for Urquidy will be. For the 25, it's pretty easy. Guduan or Sneed will be back at Round Rock. I'm not quite as sure on the 40.

Do we have any other candidates for the 60 day DL? I think Diaz and Correa are both expected back before their 60 clock is up.

Seems possible that someone is about to be DFA'd. Maybe Deetz or Rodgers? Reed?
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

Wonder what the corresponding roster move for Urquidy will be. For the 25, it's pretty easy. Guduan or Sneed will be back at Round Rock. I'm not quite as sure on the 40.

Do we have any other candidates for the 60 day DL? I think Diaz and Correa are both expected back before their 60 clock is up.

Seems possible that someone is about to be DFA'd. Maybe Deetz or Rodgers? Reed?
Corbin Martin to the 60 day IL maybe
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Deluxe
AG
Good call. That's probably it.
bearkatag15
AG
I have faith that Urquidy will do well and end up being the 4th or 5th starter this team has been searching for all year. Eventually one of these AAA arms has to turn out to be at least an average starting pitcher with around a 3.50-4 ERA the remainder of the season.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Charlie wanted 3 years...That's a disaster waiting to happen.

While he looks great so far I'm still skeptical he'll hold up all season.

The big mistake wasn't not signing Charlie it was not extending the QO to either have him for 1 year or get the draft compensation.
I generally agree with this, but although he wanted 3 he settled for 2 & Tampa is really not much closer to his home in the NE (Pennsylvania?) than Houston. Early on in the process it was not one of his preferred destinations. I remember reading about the Phillies or Nats early on in the process which made sense to me considering his family.

It's not like his family is going to get in the car after lunch and drive down to watch him play in Tampa that evening. I'm sure we could've had a similar deal to Tampa and at this point that looks like a no brainer.

But yes at the very least the qualifying offer. I think logic dictates that the organization did not even think he was worth a qualifying offer because if they did it would be obvious to extend that to him.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Offer them White and Kemp and point out how much better both of those two have played compared to Tucker at the ML level.
First Page Last Page
Page 491 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.