***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,342 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Frok said:

Yordan is the best player on the team right now
Without a doubt. He's not just a masher either - good eye, patient, hits to all fields. Amazing.
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

108.4 off the bat.
Do we have any stats that show what the highest average MPH off the bat is for the top sluggers in the MLB?

I'd have to think that Yordan is probably up there with elite sluggers.
Agnzona
bearkatag15 said:

108.4 off the bat.

Has he had a hit less than 100 yet?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Deluxe
AG
I still kinda want to see Yordan hit second so it will be tougher to pitch around Springer
tremble
AG
White still sucks
Aggie8587
AG
tjholley16 said:

Glad he drove Bregman in since White is up next
Right on cue, fatty with another 3-pitch K
Harry Dunne
Yeah that'd be fun, but we're lucky he's batting cleanup today.
Ags #1
AG
When altuve gets hot it won't matter
Frok
AG
Captions on the TV keep calling Yordan, "Your Don"
Mr.Bond
AG
I love yordan as much as I hate fatass
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

108.4 off the bat.
Do we have any stats that show what the highest average MPH off the bat is for the top sluggers in the MLB?

Not sure about that but saw this stat

He has 19 hits this year so almost half have been108 or higher
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
that would work too. His OBP is still at .400
Harry Dunne
Man it'd sure be nice to have made Charlie Morton that qualifying offer.
Kashchei
AG
Lunhow has disappointed me so far this year...
Harry Dunne
Passing on CFM was a big mistake. Passing on Marwin at 2 yr/$21M was probably a mistake, considering how much he'd be playing this year. Passing on McCann at 1 yr/$2M was a mistake too. Passing on Keuchel TBD but I think was good.

The Brantley, Chirinos and Miley signings were A+, but overestimating White and not having a backup plan was a big mistake.

I think the CFM thing is the only one of the above that might be impossible to overcome. Those pickups were great, but if we had signed everyone above and just run it back I think we'd be better off.

We will see.
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:

108.4 off the bat.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard?year=2019&abs=5&player_type=resp_batter_id

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yordan-alvarez-670541?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb
astroaggie22
Brantley
Chirinos
Locking in Verlander and Bergman

I think he's done alright
gougler08
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Passing on CFM was a big mistake. Passing on Marwin at 2 yr/$21M was probably a mistake, considering how much he'd be playing this year. Passing on McCann at 1 yr/$2M was a mistake too. Passing on Keuchel TBD but I think was good.

The Brantley and Miley signings were A+. Overestimating White and not having a backup plan was a big mistake.

I think the CFM thing is the only one of the above that might be impossible to overcome. We will see.

Diaz was a perfect Marwin replacement, you can't fault Luhnow for all the injuries

Agree on CFM, that's the big miss
mwm
We have Monday & Thursday off this coming week? Including July 4? Strange.
AggiEE
Yeah passing on CFM was the biggest mistake of the offseason. I don't care too much about Keuchel. The guy screwed himself this offseason and really pissed off the astros fans. Guy has an inflated view of his worth.

Charlie had the injury risk, but I think it was worth the gamble for only 2 seasons. There are not too many CFM pitchers out there available for the price he was asking..

Now we are going to be forced to trade a lot of our talent to get a legit number 3 starter. And our talent has a very low value right now after doing so poorly at the MLB level this season.
Aggie8587
AG
Ever since Jose added the extra power to his offensive game, opposing pitchers have started to figure him out over the past couple years for the most part.

Pitch him away away away away and eventually he'll either rollover or swing and miss because he can't reach it. You never see a catcher set up inside anymore on him unless it's to throw an intentional brush-back pitch.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne said:

The Brantley, Chirinos and Miley signings were A+, but overestimating White and not having a backup plan was a big mistake.

I think the CFM thing is the only one of the above that might be impossible to overcome. Those pickups were great, but if we had signed everyone above and just run it back I think we'd be better off.

We will see.
CFM wasn't gonna come back because he wanted to be closer to his family. He was very clear about that. I think they jumped on the Diaz trade too early. If they had it to do over again, once Marwin's price came down, I think had they not made the trade, they would have signed him. As far as McCann, if we were going to keep him, we would have had to pick up his $20M option. The $2M he's making now is a hometown discount for the Braves, and we would have had to pay way more than that to keep him. Plus, I doubt anyone could have predicted he'd come back from knee problems to have this kind of season. Not sure what to make of Keuchel.

I imagine White is dealt with either during or not long after the all-star break. I kinda get the feeling that they're holding on to him desperately hoping they can package him in a trade somehow just so he's not given away for nothing. Same idea with Kemp.

I wonder who they're going to look at for trades. Stroman got hurt yesterday, and he doesn't seem to have a pitch-set that plays well with the analytics-driven focus of Strom and the Astros. Bumgardner is hard to read since he hasn't had a great season, but he seems like Verlander in 2017 where a change of scenery could re-energize him. However, the Astros are on his no trade list and the Twins aren't, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go north. That leaves Matthew Boyd among the big names, and I'm not all that impressed with him.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see them go after somebody like Robbie Ray from the d-backs. LHP, ERA around 3.90, still has another year of arbitration left. Throws 4-seam fastball, slider, curve, and sinker.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=592662
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rayro02.shtml
AggiEE
Aggie8587 said:

Ever since Jose added the extra power to his offensive game, opposing pitchers have started to figure him out over the past couple years for the most part.

Pitch him away away away away and eventually he'll either rollover or swing and miss because he can't reach it. You never see a catcher set up inside anymore on him unless it's to throw an intentional brush-back pitch.
He needs to have better command of the zone and plate discipline. He swings at far too many bad pitches.
Ag_07
AG
Keep an eye on the Mets.

They're an absolute mess and Syndergaard and Lugo would be awesome gets.
Harry Dunne
I doubt this re: Morton. If CFM wasn't going to come back, we would have made the QO and gotten a pick out of it.

Good point on McCann - I did not realize that.
W
AG
mega-baserunning blunder there by the Mariners
mwm
Harry Dunne
DP
bearkatag15
AG

Missed this earlier. The 40 man roster move should be interesting to make this happen
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Kashchei
AG
It can never be said enough: White ****ing sucks
mwm
And, there's the sombrero.

Eleven pitches. Three Ks.
jetch17
Aggie8587
AG
White with, you guessed it, another K.

3 ABs, 3 strikeouts, 3 LOB in 5 innings
Gap
AG
It is time for White to spend some time on the DL and then have a minor league rehab assignment. He is totally lost (and somehow injured).
jakeaggie84
AG
Golden sombrero is 3Ks or 4ks?
First Page Last Page
Page 488 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.