***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,414 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really disappointing that we couldn't score the runner from third there.

At least Reddick had a good battle, some balls just went foul, and he popped it up.

Tyler ****ing White couldn't even get the bat on the ball and looked utterly clueless at the plate.
tjack16
AG
Stassi has been about as useless as White during his time in the bigs. Those guys just don't have it. Maybe on the 2012-2013 teams those guys would be serviceable like Matt Dominguez types ... but yikes
Mr.Bond
AG
I love the 2 runs.... but man that feels like a giant wasted opportunity
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Kashchei
AG
Second and third, no out, and these choads can't even get the ball out of the infield.
Mr.Bond
AG
Stassi makes me miss stubbs
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Gap
AG
When can we discuss replacing Pettis as 3rd base coach? He had an awful hold at Cincinnati that cost us tying a game. The hold of Bregman here in the 1st inning today was probably the worst of the season that I've seen. The Mariners were conceding the run and didn't even have a cutoff man in place to come home. That is why you have a 3rd base coach there looking at it as opposed to the runner looking behind him to gauge the entirety of the situation. Extremely poor.
Frok
AG
Blasphemy!
W
AG
this is why "backup catcher" is on Luhnow's trade deadline shopping list
suburban cowboy
AG
Tyler White is the Astro we don't deserve
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I came for the great white hate. I was not disappointed
Aggie8587
AG
Gap said:

When can we discuss replacing Pettis as 3rd base coach? He had an awful hold at Cincinnati that cost us tying a game. The hold of Bregman here in the 1st inning today was probably the worst of the season that I've seen. The Mariners were conceding the run and didn't even have a cutoff man in place to come home. That is why you have a 3rd base coach there looking at it as opposed to the runner looking behind him to gauge the entirety of the situation. Extremely poor.
I don't like most of Pettis's decisions, but that one I didn't mind. No reason to risk giving them an out early on when it looked like we were going to put up a huge number that inning.

At the end of the day, you trust that the run will score anyways if either White or Reddick can just put it on the ground or fly one to the outfield.
mwm
Nice inning by Cole.
PoppaB05
AG
If we don't have anyone else that can play 1st, can we just DH for White then because I'm pretty sure most of our pitchers would have at least made contact or swung the dang bat.
Kashchei
AG
Pettis should've known we had one streaky hitter and two black holes coming up and sent Bregs.
E
AG
How was Max Stassi even an option in that most underrated and undervalued Stropoll??
mwm
I want to see Straw & Kemp have a race around the bases.
Harry Dunne
PoppaB05 said:

If we don't have anyone else that can play 1st, can we just DH for White then because I'm pretty sure most of our pitchers would have at least made contact or swung the dang bat.
We should just play Reddick at 1st, I'm sure he would've driven the run in.
W
AG
Tony Kemp sighting today
Gap
AG
Aggie8587 said:

Gap said:

I don't like most of Pettis's decisions, but that one I didn't mind. No reason to risk giving them an out early on when it looked like we were going to put up a huge number that inning.

At the end of the day, you trust that the run will score anyways if either White or Reddick can just put it on the ground or fly one to the outfield.
Conceptually I agree with you, but Pettis has to see that they are conceding the run. Bregman would have been in the dugout before the ball got to the plate. There wasn't going to be a close play at the plate. He has to see it and not just guess after the ball leaves the bat as runners are stranded at 3rd all the time after none were out.
Agnzona
Kashchei said:

Does Tubby ever swing at the first pitch?

He flinches at it does that count?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Harry Dunne
E said:

How was Max Stassi even an option in that most underrated and undervalued Stropoll??
The Silent Art of Catcher Framing: How Max Stassi Quietly Became the League's Most Valuable Catcher

Quote:

Max Stassi was the most valuable catcher in the league in 2018 injust 250 plate appearances worth of playing time. It did not matter that Stassi was below average to average as a hitter. It did not matter that he did not meet the league average in throwing out baserunners. His framing was so good, he led all American League catchers in fWAR with 2.6, and in just 88 games and 250 plate appearances. That is how good Max Stassi was at framing. That is how valuable catcher framing can be. For comparison, Maldonado posted a 1.7 fWAR over 119 games and 404 plate appearances, and Robinson Chirinos posted a 0.0 fWAR over 113 games and 426 plate appearances.

He's a $h1tty hitter, but makes up for it as a receiver. You can go back to posts from the last couple of years where most people criticized Stassi's defense and framing in particular. That's why I'm not too worried about being on the wrong side of popular Texags opinion.

W
AG
Hinch missed a challenge there
Agnzona
Aggie8587 said:

Gap said:

The kind of strange thing is as the teams has struggled Pettis has become more risk adverse when you would think his tendency would be to become more aggressive.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
W
AG
MMP triple for AB
AggiEE
Why didn't Hinch challenge????
tjack16
AG
Dang .. was kind of hoping they would send Bregman home for an inside the Parker
W
AG
Yordan = RBI machine
tjack16
AG
YORDAN
Harry Dunne
Yordan...what a beast!
Frok
AG
Yordan is the best player on the team right now
tremble
AG
We are not worthy
tjack16
AG
Glad he drove Bregman in since White is up next
AggiEE
Yordan is on FIRE....this dude knows how to hit.
bearkatag15
AG
108.4 off the bat.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
Yordan has to stay in the 4-hole
First Page Last Page
Page 487 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.