***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,043 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weekend Commuter said:

Yuli is old and just isn't the same player.

bearkatag15
AG
Hulla Baller said:

Does Yuli not speak English? I just think it's interesting that he was using a translator for the interview. I would have thought by now he would be able to speak it at least.
I've noticed that he really understands what Julia says but maybe he isn't comfortable speaking English on camera? Also thought that maybe he does it because there are family, friends and fans back home in Cuba that appreciate the translator aspect to understand the interview? Probably a stretch
spadilly
S
Ag_07
AG
I think a lot of guys use the translator because they don't want what they say to be taken for what they mean.

They understand and they can answer informally but things can get construed when taken literally and they just rather use the translator.

In today's PC environment I don't blame them.
bearkatag15
AG
Some people have expressed concern over Yuli's offense this season... He is trending in the right direction

CFTXAG10
AG
Ag12thman
AG
Man, did we need that one. Love it.
Big Al 1992
AG
Now let's roll off another 9 in a row. JV tomorrow.
Ag_07
AG
I don't get it either. Yuli is a nice mainstay ML hitter.

Numbers be damned I'll take him over quite a few players we're currently rostering.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Ag_07 said:

Weekend Commuter said:

Yuli is old and just isn't the same player.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Hopefully that drops our brass balls back to their normally ground dragging level
Oyster DuPree
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Hopefully that drops our brass balls back to their normally ground dragging level

I still can't sleep easy knowing that our friends in Southern Oklahoma, the 'Texas' Rangers, are within single digit games of the hometown nine. I've been told this is cause for great concern. Thusly, I am cautiously optimistic (though skeptical) about the level of our balls at this point in the season.
bearkatag15
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

I still can't sleep easy knowing that our friends in Southern Oklahoma, the 'Texas' Rangers, are within single digit games of the hometown nine. I've been told this is cause for great concern. Thusly, I am cautiously optimistic (though skeptical) about the level of our balls at this point in the season.
I made the comment earlier about it maybe being time to be concerned that Arlington is inching closer to Houston in the standings... Currently 4.5 games but the threat of it being 3.5 games was pretty real for most of this game. Laugh all you want at that but Houston plays Arlington 7 of the 1st 11 games after the All Star Break. If this team hasn't figured out how to pitch (tonight is a great start) then that lead will dwindle even more really quick.
Ag_07
AG
Miley is being severely overlooked. I. A time when our rotation besides JV and Cole has been straight ass he's been steady Eddy.

Dude just goes out and gives you a quality start more times than not. That's all you can ask for out of a #4 starter.

Props to Wade for doing his thing
Silent For Too Long
bearkatag15 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

I made the comment earlier about it maybe being time to be concerned that Arlington is inching closer to Houston in the standings... Currently 4.5 games but the threat of it being 3.5 games was pretty real for most of this game. Laugh all you want at that but Houston plays Arlington 7 of the 1st 11 games after the All Star Break. If this team hasn't figured out how to pitch (tonight is a great start) then that lead will dwindle even more really quick.
We are going to win this division by double digit games.

Let the Arlingtonians enjoy their moment in the sun when they are kind of close to us.
bearkatag15
AG

Cool interview with Reddick on MLB Tonight
ClickClack
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Cool interview with Reddick on MLB Tonight

Gotta love that guy
Ag_07
AG
Did he just say he thought we have a better pitching staff than the 2017 WS team?

And to think he had us sold on the fact he didn't drink.
Silent For Too Long
Ag_07 said:

Did he just say he thought we have a better pitching staff than the 2017 WS team?

And to think he had us sold on the fact he didn't drink.
I think the bullpen is much better, and Cole is better then Keuchel.

CFM and LMJ would be the two big losses, though.
irish pete ag06
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

bearkatag15 said:

Oyster DuPree said:

We are going to win this division by double digit games.

Let the Arlingtonians enjoy their moment in the sun when they are kind of close to us.
6-4-3
AG
There's nothing I said that wasn't accurate. Yuli is on the downside of his career. His power numbers are down during last two seasons. He is a corner infielder who is serviceable as a MLB hitter but the fact is he is old and declining. It's like nobody can say ANYTHING remotely negative on this thread. Why have a thread if all you do is say go Astros!!

Happy we won. We need it. But it's funny how a guy (regardless of who it is..,) does a great thing during a game and it leads to "see I told you so" type comments. This is an echo chamber.
6-4-3
AG
All that being said... I can take the heat and it's actually pretty funny especially during a happy moment. Nice win. Good times.
Beat40
Weekend Commuter said:

There's nothing I said that wasn't accurate. Yuli is on the downside of his career. His power numbers are down during last two seasons. He is a corner infielder who is serviceable as a MLB hitter but the fact is he is old and declining. It's like nobody can say ANYTHING remotely negative on this thread. Why have a thread if all you do is say go Astros!!

Happy we won. We need it. But it's funny how a guy (regardless of who it is..,) does a great thing during a game and it leads to "see I told you so" type comments. This is an echo chamber.

Looking at his numbers, he's still to this point in the season projecting to bat at or slightly higher than his numbers from last year. If he hits around the same as he did last year, it will only be slightly down than what he did in 2017.

He's just really streaky.

I feel like we're saying he's declining because he's just not been as good with runners in scoring position this year. Last year, he was amazing in those situations, but we should have known that wouldn't carry forward into this year. He very well may end up with pretty similar numbers to last year when it's said and done.

But yeah, I mean, we all should be concerned with older players because their declines happen fast.

I also agree with you about posting criticisms. Fact is, Bregman isn't really getting it done with runners in scoring position this year. Which is crazy because of the RBI numbers. Just think that dude could have 60+ RBIs to this point in the season if he could even bat .250 with runners in scoring position. This has not been a position that has been well received.
irish pete ag06
AG
This team misses LMJ really badly.

Just happen to see him in dugout last night and I was thinking damn I wish he was a part of this rotation right now.
Beat40
irish pete ag06 said:

This team misses LMJ really badly.

Just happen to see him in dugout last night and I was thinking damn I wish he was a part of this rotation right now.

Yes we do.

That's the only reason I was a little surprised we didn't try to make a run at Charlie.
Ag_07
AG
I think those who criticize Yuli are expecting too much from him. I don't have numbers in front of me so this may not be completely accurate but he's not far off from his career numbers.

He's a .260 hitter with decent pop who doesn't walk but hits a shlt ton of line drives and ground balls. He's not ever gonna knock the crap out of it and blast 30 HRs or go unconscious and hit .300.

He is what he is and I don't think he's far off that. Yeah he's struggling a bit this year but I don't think we're seeing the drastic decline some think we are.
W
AG
because of this offensive slump, the Astros rank just 8th in the AL in runs scored despite ranking 2nd in all the slash line categories.

that's not easy to do

W
AG
the biggest issue with Yuli is his spot in the batting order.

.724 OPS is okay for the 7 or 8 hole. It's a killer for the 4 or 5 where's he hit a lot this season
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Miley is being severely overlooked. I. A time when our rotation besides JV and Cole has been straight ass he's been steady Eddy.

Dude just goes out and gives you a quality start more times than not. That's all you can ask for out of a #4 starter.

Props to Wade for doing his thing

I mean he is our #3 starter......since you know we don't have a 4th and 5th starter but I do agree with the statement otherwise
CFTXAG10
AG
Good morning, and God Bless Josh "Mr Irrelevant" Reddick!

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

the biggest issue with Yuli is his spot in the batting order.

.724 OPS is okay for the 7 or 8 hole. It's a killer for the 4 or 5 where's he hit a lot this season

Agreed, but we know that is due to health. When everyone is ready to go he's behind Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Bratley, and Alvarez at a minimum.
979ag
AG
Anyone have 4 tickets to today's game for sale?
CFTXAG10
AG
Looking at the matchup tonight:

(Last three starts for Yusei Kikuchi)
6/13 - 5 innings - 6 hits - 1 ER (Twins)
6/18 - 6 innings - 9 hits - 6 ER (Royals)
6/23 - 6 innings - 5 hits - 3 ER (Orioles)

4-5 on the year w/ a 5.11 ERA

I will be at The Juicebox in 134 tonight watching Verlander do his thing whilst consuming a few ice cold beverages
Mathguy64
AG
I'm probably out of pocket this evening so if the bats are in the freezer again one of you other deviants will have to post an unending stream of Kate pics until things warm up.
W
AG
checking in with Tyler White and his sparkling -0.6 WAR (according to baseball reference)...

my favorite stat of his...in 209 plate appearances...he's scored a grand total of 14 runs.

it's not easy to describe how unproductive that is for a major league hitter.

however I trust that Hinch has him penciled into today's lineup. Good to go
First Page Last Page
Page 476 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.