***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,595 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
ZAC-AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If intentionally walking the streaky Chirinos just to get to Tyler White because they KNOOOOOOOOOW without a shadow of a doubt he is a choker, isn't enough to get him DFA'd already.

I honestly dont know what else is there.
AggiEE
RealTalk said:

AggiEE said:

Silent For Too Long said:

W said:

the Astros are 4-9 in their last 13 games. It's been a bad 2 weeks of baseball.

where's the general manager? On vacation somewhere

I'm sorry, what?

This is a really, really bad take. What trade was Luhnow suppose to make so we won a few more games in June?

Judging the GMs job off a bad week in baseball is the epitome of ridiculous.

The GM has to bear some responsibility on the Great White Disaster that's been going on all season

Meanwhile the Stankees get the HR leader from Seattle for almost nothing
18 games over .500 and 7 game lead in the division.

Where was this criticism of Luhnow when the Astros were winning with these scrubs?

Don't get me wrong he's a great GM but he's not perfect. Just pointing out some obvious things that we knew about even when the team was winning that are a big part of the problem when we lose

That 7 game lead can easily turn around in a hurry if another team gets hot
EastCoastAgNc
AG
DFA him, call up Fisher, and let Reddick/Brantley play first. At least Fisher had speed and got on base.
AggiEE
Yuli is also a huge problem right now where he is batting

The guy is abysmal at RISP, how did this change so badly from 2018?

He swing looks awful.
AggiEE
And as much as we hate White....small sample size I know

Tyler White June stats

.277/.435/.468/.903

Alex Bregman June stats

.246/.404/.449/.853

Michael Brantley June stats

.268/.333/.408/.741
bearkatag15
AG
The Cubs lost 9 of 10 in 2016 and the Red Sox lost 9 of 12 last year. This sucks but not the end of the world. Get Springer back and good McHugh and Joe Smith to help the bullpen. Then fix 1B via trade.

Things will be ok
Silent For Too Long
I agree Tyler has sucked, but going into the year there was no reason to think Yuli couldn't hold down first and Yordan/Tucker could step up to replace Tyler when ready.

The bad GM move would have been to overpay for a 1B or mortgage the future for an Encarnacion. Granted, the Yanks got him for a steal, but I seriously doubt the Mariners would have been willing to part with him to a divisional opponent for so little.

We are basically at the luxury tax cap already. He's already crammed an absurd amount of talent under that cap. Cant have all stars everywhere.
W
AG
either Kemp or White should have been dealt by now to free up roster space.

why in the world was Yordan not called up 30 seconds after the June 2nd extra-year-of-control deadline expired?

and where is Tucker?
cablinaggie
AG
AggiEE said:

Yuli is also a huge problem right now where he is batting

The guy is abysmal at RISP, how did this change so badly from 2018?

He swing looks awful.

He's never had a classic swing, he hits off his front foot all the time. But combined with an uppercut swing it looks weird. It's like he and White got all into this launch angle thing and all they do now is pop everything up.
bearkatag15
AG

Focus on the fun stuff.
cablinaggie
AG
bearkatag15 said:

The Cubs lost 9 of 10 in 2016 and the Red Sox lost 9 of 12 last year. This sucks but not the end of the world. Get Springer back and good McHugh and Joe Smith to help the bullpen. Then fix 1B via trade.

Things will be ok

I hope this is our typical August swoon a couple months early. And then we blow the doors off after ASG when everyone gets back.

Like Red said to Andy Dufresne, "I hope."
bearkatag15
AG
Another good one

Quote:

STL lost 8 in a row in 2006 and won it all.

Lost 8 in a row on two separate occasions in 2006.

Silent For Too Long
I haven't really seen anyone discuss this but when did Springer leave the dugout to start his rehab assignment?

I'm pretty sure he was there Sunday but I not in Cincy, right?

He really is the heart and soul of this team. Out of all the 2020 FAs he's my number one priority. The rest will all be sad to see go, but I think we can ultimately reload around a core of Bregman, Altuve, Springer, JV and hopefully Tucker and Alvarez.

But sign Springer.
mazag08
AG
Springer will be back Tuesday. Hopefully White is the casualty.
Ags #1
AG
How they can afford to send white down? If Yuli plays first then who plays 3rd?
AggiEE
Ags #1 said:

How they can afford to send white down? If Yuli plays first then who plays 3rd?

Brantley plays 1B.

Having Diaz on the IL hurts us a lot too. We are sorely missing him.
bearkatag15
AG
Lunhow needs to be talking to the White Sox about Jose Abreau. Last year of his deal that's only $16mm for the whole year. So just $6-8mm remaining

Batting .262 with 17 HRs and 54 RBIs
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

Lunhow needs to be talking to the White Sox about Jose Abreau. Last year of his deal that's only $16mm for the whole year. So just $6-8mm remaining

Batting .262 with 17 HRs and 54 RBIs

Agree it would be a nice pickup

But our OF situation becomes problematic if we want to bring Tucker up and he does well
TREX01
You don't put career OF at first. It's not that simple. This isn't little league
Ags #1
AG
Just don't see the Astros doing that personally. He hasn't played there this year. Not saying he couldn't just doesn't seem like a move they would make imo. I would love them to dfa white but just don't see it happening
Mr.Bond
AG
Pssshhhh. Billy Beane says naw

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

TREX01
What has billy beane won? Also Scott Hatteberg sucked.
AggiEE
TREX01 said:

You don't put career OF at first. It's not that simple. This isn't little league

It can't be any worse than Tyler White at 1B
Mr.Bond
AG
TREX01 said:

What has billy beane won? Also Scott Hatteberg sucked.

Pssshhhh. Hit one of the most memorable walk off homers in regular season history
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Going to the 1pm game vs the pirates on Thursday. Scored some Crawford Box seats. What time is BP? Also, can you down to right field and try to catch balls or do you have to be in your seats? I have never had the opportunity to go early enough to catch BP
W
AG
today's game will decide the tiebreaker between the Astros and Yankees...should the teams finish with the same W-L record going into the playoffs.

(i.e. ALDS or ALCS home field advantage)
W
AG
and as other posters have mentioned...

Yuli has just 5 home runs in 283 at-bats. Slugging only .389.

those are terrible, terrible numbers for a player hitting primarily in the 4-5-6 spots (in the year 2019)
bearkatag15
AG
Luckily he will hit no higher than 7th or even 8th when we are fully healthy. Same goes if he is still starting when playoffs get here
agsquirrel97
AG
We ar 6.5 games ahead of the Rangers, 3 games behind the Twins and 2 games behind the Yankees.

It's time to bring the bats!

bearkatag15
AG

Winning streak starts today. Should be the last day we see a lineup without Springer
Deluxe
AG
Terrible terrible numbers for a guy playing first base, regardless of where he's hitting in the order
W
AG
regarding outfielders moving to first base...

Lance Berkman played his first 7 seasons in the outfield (1999-2005). Then split time between 1B and OF in 2006 & 2007. And finally took over as the everyday first baseman in 2008
EastCoastAgNc
AG
How many HRs does Verlander give up today? I'm thinking 3 (Judge, Stanton, someone else)
redline248
AG
Maybe y'all know Luhnow a little better, but why do so many think Alvarez easily slides to 1B when Luhnow says repeatedly that's not the plan?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
redline248 said:

Maybe y'all know Luhnow a little better, but why do so many think Alvarez easily slides to 1B when Luhnow says repeatedly that's not the plan?

I think that was the plan because they were in on encarnacion and offered better prospects just weren't willing to give as much cash. Maybe they are actively looking at another 1b trade before the deadline?
First Page Last Page
Page 446 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.