***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,957 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct
bearkatag15
AG

Judge hitting lead off.
titanmaster_race
Guduan? Really??
bearkatag15
AG
Yoda
AG
That lineup sure would look better with George leading off. I truly don't understand why standard practice is to do a rehab assignment in AAA. Wish we would break with standard thinking on that one.
Andyzipp
AG
Yoda said:

That lineup sure would look better with George leading off. I truly don't understand why standard practice is to do a rehab assignment in AAA. Wish we would break with standard thinking on that one.

If there's a setback after they've been reactivated, the (now) 10 day IL clock would start over. So either you play short handed for up to 9 days (not putting the player on the IL) or you're without the superior player for another 10 days, even if they really only need less than 10 days to get right.

There are also potentially callup/option/waiver considerations whenever you make a move.

But most practically, you generally want you hitters getting their timing back against a lower level pitcher, rather than risk throwing them back in front of frontline MLB pitching.
Ag_07
AG
Yoda said:

So you just want the guy who's been injured and on the bench for what a month now to just come in and wing it facing MLB pitchers like James Paxton?

These guys need to assessed at game speed to ensure health (see Altuve and his latest set back) and just need to get reps to get timing back before jumping in the deep end.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If you guys aren't listening to 790 right now, Blum is telling stories about wanting to fight Lou Pinella...it's fantastic radio.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

If you guys aren't listening to 790 right now, Blum is telling stories about wanting to fight Lou Pinella...it's fantastic radio.
Notes please!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I was too busy laughing to take notes...I'll check later and see if they post clips from it.

Short of one story, he played a year with the Rays when Lou was there and called it "the worst year of his life". 2 months into the season, he had maybe 30 AB's and Lou mouthed off in the papers about how he was shocked that they had traded for him since his swing wasn't major-league ready in his mind. He found out about it during a rain delay while sitting in the dugout and Lou came out, said something innocent to him, one thing led to another, and Don Zimmer and another coach had to separate them. Later, Lou calls him into his office, Blum goes "alright, it's about to go down", ready to fight. Lou calls him in, says they got off on the wrong foot, wants to hug it out. He said it was a hug where one guy is bear hugging another guy with his arms at his side. Bench coach is sitting in the background just laughing at this, Blum is mad and ready to fight.
Capt. Obvious
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Notes please!
At one point he wanted to fight Lou Pinella
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Prosperdick
AG
Capt. Obvious said:

Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Notes please!
At one point he wanted to fight Lou Pinella
Username checks out.
bearkatag15
AG

Yordan should get an invite... but he probably won't since he was called up so recently
astros4545
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Yordan should get an invite... but he probably won't since he was called up so recently

Yordan gonna pass Vlad by ASB

But neither are deserving
Yoda
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yoda said:

So you just want the guy who's been injured and on the bench for what a month now to just come in and wing it facing MLB pitchers like James Paxton?

These guys need to assessed at game speed to ensure health (see Altuve and his latest set back) and just need to get reps to get timing back before jumping in the deep end.

In short... yeah, I kinda do. I realize comparing across sports is not ideal, but it's not as if NBA or NFL players get their timing back after an injury by playing real games against lesser competition. Readiness to play again is determined in practice / game simulation. If LeBron were to come back from a one month knee injury, the Lakers would not ask him to first play 3 games for the South Bay Lakers of the G League.

I had not considered the very relevant 10 day injury list implications. That part justifies why they do it so much more than the concept that an all-star level talent like Springer requires a pit stop in the minors before he is ready to face major league competition.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

dshedd41
S
Let's go Astros!
Gig’em Aggies!
JABQ04
AG
Altuve looked good running down the base path.

I wish we would have seen more than 8 pitches though.
Daddy-O5
AG
Tight strike zone. Peacock actually throwing some good pitches.
Daddy-O5
AG
What a DP!
dshedd41
S
Altuve!
Gig’em Aggies!
JABQ04
AG
For a second I was fearing the worst
newsjunkie
Altuve!!!!!
Be to her virtures very kind; be to her faults a little blind. Lord Byron
JABQ04
AG
Blue seems consistent on his zone for both teams. All you can hope for
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Round mound of strikeout strikes again
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Unacceptable to come out of that with nothing.
Charlie Conway
what a ****ing terrible 3 at bats
CFTXAG10
AG
Froze him
Daddy-O5
AG
Lead off double for Straw. Wanted third bad.
mwm
Bregman didn't get his job done that AB. He needed to at least move Straw to 3rd.

Actually, there were a couple of failures that inning.
CFTXAG10
AG
Can't cash in on a lead off double
EastCoastAgNc
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Jesus ****ing Christ we can't buy a run
First Page Last Page
Page 431 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.