***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,174 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

. . . said:

Keuchel to the Braves

Rumored. Not official I believe
I just got an ESPN alert on it from Jeff Passan
Mr.Bond
AG
The rejoicing of braves fans on Twitter is quite comical
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

texpert68
AG
MAROON said:

Strom needs to spend the flight home tearing his relievers anew aholes

Slightly different direction but haven't seen it mentioned...new 12-6 podcast episode released yesterday and Strommy is the guest. Enjoyed listening to him and his voice is definitely different than I had always imagined!
exp
AG
Why didn't we sign Kimbrel to bolster our pen?
Mr.Bond
AG
exp said:

We have a closer.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
exp said:

Because we already have the best bullpen in baseball and didn't want to waste 45 M on a past his prime closer.
Ag_07
AG
exp said:

You OK with giving him George's money?

I'm not

We have a legit BP and I'm not a fan of paying an aging closer $15M a year for the next 3.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

. . .
Ag_07
AG
So it's $13M as opposed to approx $11.9M which is what the QO prorated out.

He did all this for $1.1M

Again...If it's indeed for the greater good of the players then someone should ask him if he's donating the extra $1.1M to players pension fund.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
MosesHallRAB04
AG
All that "it's he principle" **** he was spouting was just bull *****
Gap
AG
Georgia has a 5.75% personal state income too. Subtract the $747.500 in GA state income tax from his $13M for a $12.25M net after considering the difference in state income tax.

So, he took $2.75M less to not accept the $15M, 1 year Astros offer.

I wish we all had an agent that good.
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This sounds like Textbook diarrhea
Ag_07
AG
This all just goes to the point that waiting until the draft and screwing us to prove a point was his intention. Because it wasn't for getting the best deal.

I appreciate what he accomplished while wearing an Astros jersey but I hope he gets shelled, misses the playoffs, and gets a bottom of the barrel offer next offseason.

He's a primadonna who lacks any sense of self awareness.

Good riddance
Mathguy64
AG
So he waited 2 plus months to take a hair extra money for this year only to not pitch for a team with a chance to win a WS.

That's a career defining decision there boys and girls.
JDUB08AG
AG
His intention wasn't to screw the astros. Honestly think he just came to the realization that this was the best he could do. Once the deadline past and teams weren't putting on the table offers commensurate with his perceived dumbass value, he saw the writing on the wall.

I'm just enjoying the fact that he only got a one year deal and could potentially royally **** himself long term if he doesn't perform well this year.
bearkatag15
AG

Cionel Perez and his 6.44 ERA might be coming up tomorrow
Canyon99
I'm not terribly vindictive but I hope Dallas gets rocked the remainder of the season.
Ag_07
AG
WelchAg said:

His intention wasn't to screw the astros. Honestly think he just came to the realization that this was the best he could do. Once the deadline past and teams weren't putting on the table offers commensurate with his perceived dumbass value, he saw the writing on the wall.

But you don't think he saw that writing before this week?

It wasn't like the draft ended and all of a sudden a light came on.

I think he knew what he was gonna get and he said 'Alright since I'm not gonna get my $100M multi year deal I'll forfeit the extra couple million and wait until after the draft. It's worth it to prove a point to the owners (and essentially the Astros) that the QO system is jacked.'

Boras is not dumb. He knew exactly what Dallas would fetch post draft. The realization came months ago and not overnight.
Ag_07
AG
I heard it and it honestly sounded like something mechanical. Like he felt something come up in the sense of his delivery or release point or something unrelated to health.

I'm not worried.
bearkatag15
AG

W
AG
Keuchel's timing is not too good with respect to the Braves schedule.

the woeful Marlins host the Braves this weekend. That would have been the ideal team to start against.

instead Atlanta has a healthy diet of the Phillies, Mets, and Cubs thru the all-star break.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'd be shocked if he pitches before the all star break
bigjag19
AG
Ag_07 said:

WelchAg said:

But you don't think he saw that writing before this week?

It wasn't like the draft ended and all of a sudden a light came on.

I think he knew what he was gonna get and he said 'Alright since I'm not gonna get my $100M multi year deal I'll forfeit the extra couple million and wait until after the draft. It's worth it to prove a point to the owners (and essentially the Astros) that the QO system is jacked.'

Boras is not dumb. He knew exactly what Dallas would fetch post draft. The realization came months ago and not overnight.

I don't think he had any real offers. Teams didn't want to give up the picks.
Farmer1906
AG
Give it up already. There is 0% chance that that is true.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah, he didn't do it to screw us over. He just overvalued himself. Teams calculated his contract value plus the value of the comp pick and came up with a combined value. His contract part was less than the AO he had already turned down. Plain and simple he overvalued himself. Him and Boras together.
Bobcat-Ag
It is just really frustrating that we lost him for nothing. He could have helped this team if we could have kept at the price we offered. If we had to loose him, then it would have been nice to get the draft pick compensation because we could have turned that into something valuable.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Give it up already. There is 0% chance that that is true.

Fair enough.

But I disagree and think it's naive to think there is 0% chance Dallas didn't hold out to prove a point. I think it was a combination of overvalue and his desire to 'stick it to the man'. That's why all the players were so happy they finally had a high profile guys (Kimbrel included) holding out to show the QO isn't fair.

OK...Now I'll give it up
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ted hit a 2nd last night for #20 on the season. Only 2 away from Alvarez now. Round Rock won 26-10 lol

Marvin
AG
Are they using an Incrediball in AAA?! Thing might bounce to the moon.
rosco511
AG
Marvin said:

Are they using an Incrediball in AAA?! Thing might bounce to the moon.
No, just using the MLB now...but MLB will still deny the ball is juiced.
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Yeah, he didn't do it to screw us over. He just overvalued himself. Teams calculated his contract value plus the value of the comp pick and came up with a combined value. His contract part was less than the AO he had already turned down. Plain and simple he overvalued himself. Him and Boras together.

This. He was forced to swallow a huge serving of humble pie. The only thing he has going for him is that he's getting 13 M for the rest of the year so that would average out to about 20 M for the year. If he pitches lights out, I would be he'll get a deal he wants worth about 20 M a year. A lot of risk.

Somehow Kimbrel didn't have to swallow that some humble pie. He got 45 M at 31 with back to back years of poor postseasons and some signs of decline. That's a top 5 contract.
Mathguy64
AG
RR scored 26 and Alvarez didn't get a single RBI.

And who missed the XP?
First Page Last Page
Page 347 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.