***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,724,957 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Bye Corbin
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:



Bye Corbin


Expected.

And holy **** you posted that quickly.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol... I'm incredibly bored at work right now.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregman interview on Starting 9 podcast.

E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So many CF's drafted
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does that mean Valdez to start?
Bonfired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
E said:

So many CF's drafted


I would guess that CFs are kind of like shortstops in that they are usually pretty good athletes that could be converted to other OF slots more readily.
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Bregman interview on Starting 9 podcast.


Interview starts at 1:09:40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:



Bye Corbin


Expected.

And holy **** you posted that quickly.
Look who's the slow one now!
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
. . . said:





Got into a discussion on this play...Who's fault is this?

Is it on the catcher for leaving home plate with a runner on third? Or is it on the SS for just throwing to no one?

Also, should there have been so communication like a sign from the catcher on what was going to happen on this play?
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd be interested to know if they gave the turn 2 signal before that play but my thought is that it's on the SS for not flipping to second

Edit to add: Servais says otherwise

Andyzipp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With a runner on 1st and 1 out, the shortstop should have tried to turn the double play by going 6-4-3, which everyone agrees with.

But, If they're playing to prevent the run, there should have been a call that they were going home on a ball hit to the left side. Either the short stop didn't make that call, or the catcher just missed it.

At least that's what I think happened.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Psych
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

. . . said:





Got into a discussion on this play...Who's fault is this?

Is it on the catcher for leaving home plate with a runner on third? Or is it on the SS for just throwing to no one?

Also, should there have been so communication like a sign from the catcher on what was going to happen on this play?


I want to yell at the catcher for leaving the plate with a runner on 3rd, but the SS should have turned 2.
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bonfired said:

E said:

So many CF's drafted


I would guess that CFs are kind of like shortstops in that they are usually pretty good athletes that could be converted to other OF slots more readily.

We use a bunch of CF in the OF today: Springer, Reddick, Marisnick, Kemp and Straw can all play CF.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Psych said:

Ag_07 said:

. . . said:





Got into a discussion on this play...Who's fault is this?

Is it on the catcher for leaving home plate with a runner on third? Or is it on the SS for just throwing to no one?

Also, should there have been so communication like a sign from the catcher on what was going to happen on this play?


I want to yell at the catcher for leaving the plate with a runner on 3rd, but the SS should have turned 2.
Ultimately I agree, but I also can understand him going home as all of his momentum was carrying him that way.
R-Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SS momentum is taking him away from second base so it is going to be really tough to turn 2. He was in no man's land.
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

Psych said:

Ag_07 said:

. . . said:





Got into a discussion on this play...Who's fault is this?

Is it on the catcher for leaving home plate with a runner on third? Or is it on the SS for just throwing to no one?

Also, should there have been so communication like a sign from the catcher on what was going to happen on this play?


I want to yell at the catcher for leaving the plate with a runner on 3rd, but the SS should have turned 2.
Ultimately I agree, but I also can understand him going home as all of his momentum was carrying him that way.


The problem is that Bregman didn't go until the catcher started toward first. Had the catcher stayed home, it would be bases loaded and still one out.
Ryan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
R-Dog said:

SS momentum is taking him away from second base so it is going to be really tough to turn 2. He was in no man's land.
This. Getting the runner at 2nd was going to be very difficult. Catcher should have stayed home, and the play might have actually been at 1st had Bregman not taken off.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:



Bye Corbin


Expected.

And holy **** you posted that quickly.
Look who's the slow one now!


Still you?
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let the run score and take the out at first. Runner on second two outs.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a former catcher I agree and that was my take.

He should never have left home with that runner on third. Even if they turn two if the runner beats it out at first no one is home.

Don't leave home with a runner on 3rd.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags #1 said:

Does that mean Valdez to start?
Framber alert at MMP Saturday night
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the Mayfield experiment continues.

c'mon man...get a hit (or a walk at this point)
willjohnathan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

the Mayfield experiment continues.

c'mon man...get a hit (or a walk at this point)
I am now seeing why Blum was so shocked to see the kid get a call up. At first I was thinking they were being kind of mean, but 19 outs later, I see their point.
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Nothing but consistency from Angel Hernandez.
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
n_touch said:

Let the run score and take the out at first. Runner on second two outs.


I get that. I can't figure out how anyone thinks going to home was the right read...Servais included.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
missed the news earlier...McCutchen tore his ACL. Lost for the season for the Phillies. Big loss.

Braves could move into 1st place tonight
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:



Nothing but consistency from Angel Hernandez.
newsjunkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocking! Man, I can't stand that guy
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He gets 3 more mistakes.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:



Nothing but consistency from Angel Hernandez.


At first I was outraged...Then I saw it went against the Yankees and now I'm perfectly fine with it.
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dlance said:

n_touch said:

Let the run score and take the out at first. Runner on second two outs.


I get that. I can't figure out how anyone thinks going to home was the right read...Servais included.

They were down by one run late. Preventing the run there is the second best option to turning two and getting out of the inning. And on that ball, two was not guaranteed and in my opinion, almost unlikely.
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember the Bregman play against the Yankees in 2017? Similar situation. First and third with one out. He came home because he had no chance to turn two. Catchers can't assume the double play, especially on a ball pulling the shortstop away from the bag. Stay home to make that an option for the fielder, who has to make a split decision. I get the need to back up first, but honestly, how many times in a season does a catcher actually field an overthrow on a double play turn?