***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,930 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a way of looking at Will Harris's spin rate last year relative to this year?
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Is there a way of looking at Will Harris's spin rate last year relative to this year?

Deluxe
AG
Thanks. Mechanically, his delivery looks a little bit different this year. Like he's driving his legs lower and getting his arm more on top of the ball (kind of like Pressly). Was wondering if it led to more spin on his curve ball.
shano0603
AG
CoachRTM said:

3B Paul 97 said:

Silent For Too Long said:

mathguy86 said:

The back end of this pen is just plain dirty. Its turning into a 6 inning game.

Truth.

It's fun watching them just pile up incredible numbers.

Like watching Lidge-Dotel-Wagner close games out.
I was about to post this.

What were Lidge/ Dotel/ Wagner's best numbers over the course of a season? Can't imagine it's better than what Harris/ Pressly/ Osuna are putting up right now.
Lidge- 3.60
Dotel- 2.48
Wagner - 1.78

Nowhere near what the guys are doing this year. I doubt that's ever been done by any bullpen.

The bullpen that had Wagner, Dotel and Mike Williams was also pretty nasty.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/tyler-white-hits-first-home-run-of-2019

Quote:

Astros designated hitter Tyler White saw Cubs star Kris Bryant's recent switch to an axe handle bat had helped him take off, White borrowed one from teammate Josh Reddick and tried it out in the batting cage Monday.

White liked the feel of the bat so much he carried it into the game against the White Sox and cranked his first home run in the year in his second at-bat

Guess we can thank Reddick for helping bump White's trade value. Let's hope Lunhow can take advantage of this if he starts hitting better. Need to flip him for some young minor leaguers
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Buck Compton
AG
Dotel was traded halfway through that season, too.
Mathguy64
AG
So he ignored George using it and Josh using it and relied on something he saw a Cubs hitter doing? Is he that dense?
astros4545
AG
mathguy86 said:

So he ignored George using it and Josh using it and relied on something he saw a Cubs hitter doing? Is he that dense?

He's tremendously dense
Mr President Elect
AG
Buck Compton said:

Farmer1906 said:

I think yall are misremembering. Lidge-Dotel-Wagner was only a thing for one season. It was mainly Dotel-Wagner for several years. Then when Wagner left, Lidge eventually beat out Dotel for the closer spot and Dotel moved on. Then Pujols happened and Brad became great again with the Phillies.
Yep, and in that one season, Lidge wasn't even that good. He didn't post a sub-3 ERA until after they both left and he got the full-time closer role. Lidge really only gave us two good seasons.

Lidge only pitched 6 games in 2002 and wasn't effective, and Dotel was traded in mid-2003 in the Beltran trade. By the end of 2003, Wagner was gone, too. They never even had a full season together.

It was fun looking back at some of the names on those teams, though.

• In 2002, Wagner and Dotel were our entire bullpen, the rest were trash. Our rotation was pretty average as well and that's why we were around .500...
  • In 2003, our bullpen was very effective and had the trio for the first half of the year (but Lidge wasn't dominant yet). The rotation was still below-average (anchored by Oswalt).
  • In 2004, Lidge was the only real bright spot for our bullpen outside of the emergence of Backe. Thankfully we shored up our rotation with Clemens and Pettite and found a way to play well until.
  • In 2005, our rotation carried us through that crazy run. Our offense was below average, but with three starters under 3 ERA, then the bullpen combo of Qualls-Wheeler-Lidge and we had the hands-down best pitching staff in the league. Too bad our offense was so abysmal...

We had Lidge / Dotel / Wagner for the entire 2003 season. Wagner was traded after the season was over because we had Lidge and Dotel at the back end. 2003 was Lidge's "rookie" season and carried a sub 2 era into June. It started to climb by the end of the year, but still was a respectable mid/low 3's.

That bullpen was exciting because all three had very high strikeout rates and when they were on, they completely overpowered the opponent.
bearkatag15
AG
No Springer tonight. Won't play until Boston series at earliest

redline248
AG
astros4545 said:

mathguy86 said:

He's tremendously dense

lmao
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

I don't think George or anyone of the cool kids club talk to ole fatty fat fat.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

mathguy86 said:

I don't think George or anyone of the cool kids club talk to ole fatty fat fat.
One thing I love about this team is how clickish it is. Unified clubhouses are overrated.
jrod2181
If not allowed I will delete the post
Astros-Cubs Wednesday the 29th
I have two mobile tickets on ballpark app. Section 425 row 1 seats 1 and 2 50 total.
Deluxe
AG
Bregman has gotten pretty good at Spanish...

bearkatag15
AG

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
wait wait wait wait..... is it happening!!!!!
bearkatag15
AG
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
bearkatag15
AG
cpsencik04 said:

wait wait wait wait..... is it happening!!!!!

Big Brady Rodgers fan?
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Teddy Perkins
AG
dshedd14 said:

bearkatag15
AG
Don't understand carrying 13 pitchers with this IL stint. Bring in an outfielder like Fisher, Tucker or Straw to help out for the next few weeks under George gets back to 100%. It's not like Brady Rodgers has been killing it this year
AgFan1999
AG
the team is in the early part of a 13 games in 13 days stretch. pitching will be needed.
n_touch
Nothing better than blank posts and a Its Happening gif

edit: nvm now they show
Teddy Perkins
AG
The blank posts are tweets that Texags decides to randomly display properly. The tweets are about McHugh going to the IL and Astros bringing up Brady Rogers.
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch said:

Nothing better than blank posts and a Its Happening gif

edit: nvm now they show

Nothing is happening. McHugh to the 10 day IL with elbow discomfort and Brady Rodgers called up to fill out the roster
Gap
AG
Rodgers and Corbin Martin are both starters. Which one will start and which one will come out of the bullpen?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
No I was hoping we were finally going to pull our heads out and stop loading up with bullpin arms and call up a bat
Teddy Perkins
AG
Glad to see Diaz back in the lineup.
bearkatag15
AG
Gap said:

Rodgers and Corbin Martin are both starters. Which one will start and which one will come out of the bullpen?

We better not see Rodgers unless we are up or down by 8+ runs. He is not good.

His stats in AAA are not good. 1.299 WHIP, 6.3 SO/9, 3.4 BB/9 and almost 9 hits/9
07ag
AG
Deluxe said:

Bregman has gotten pretty good at Spanish...

bregman needs to stop just smelling people, what a weird dude
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I mean it sounds like better Stats than fatty fat fat fat on the mound....
bearkatag15
AG
Progress for George

Ag_07
AG
I can't help but see the parallels with George's injury this year and Carlo's injury last year.

I won't rest easy until I see George back out there mashing.
First Page Last Page
Page 241 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.