***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,289 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

RC_57 said:

Kind of worked to our advantage

If White tried to field that pop up and missed we don't get the runner at 2nd

Silver lining and all?
The problem is no one should miss. You got the out but replace a slow runner with a very fast runner.
C'mon man, I was reaching for that "silver lining"
Beau Bevers
AG
Ag_07 said:

mwm said:

How about Yuli to 3rd & Bregs to LF? I see that as a possible bandaid until an OF can be called.

Round Rock is 3 hours from MMP. An OFer should be called tonight and at the park first thing in the morning.
Another reason I'm so glad we switched from Fresno to Round Rock for our AAA affiliate.
W
AG
the White Sox (21-24) are up next at MMP beginning Monday night.

starting 4 guys named Banuelos, Covey, Nova, and Giolito.

the Monday and Wednesday guys have ERA's over 7.

Giolito (on Thursday) is the best of the bunch.

the Chisox staff as a whole has given up 68 home runs in 45 games.

the Astros' bench players should be able to hit these guys

W
AG
bullard21k said:

Jake had some craptastic ABs today
yes, when Jake plays a lot...his limitations at the plate start to show up.

he is terrible w/RISP. Only 5 for 28 w/2 GiDP's. (.185 BA)

that is really bad
redline248
AG
Was watching MLB network today and it looked like Nova had a pretty good start yesterday.

Not that it matters
ClickClack
AG
W said:

the White Sox (21-24) are up next at MMP beginning Monday night.

starting 4 guys named Banuelos, Covey, Nova, and Giolito.

the Monday and Wednesday guys have ERA's over 7.

Giolito (on Thursday) is the best of the bunch.

the Chisox staff as a whole has given up 68 home runs in 45 games.

the Astros' bench players should be able to hit these guys

Somehow we will make two of them look like Cy Young candidates.
Marvin
AG
dlance said:

Marvin said:

Welp. Start another streak Tuesday.

Let's start it Monday

I mean, that's totally your choice bro.

Haha, thought they were off tomorrow. My bad.
tjack16
AG
mazag08 said:

Hunch just said Springer will be day to day.

Aka they won't give us a straight answer all week and he will be out for about 2-3 weeks
Ag_07
AG
Yeah it's weird.

Seems like in the past they've placed guys on the IL for the smallest hint of discomfort. Right now it seems like they're holding off on putting them on the IL.

Would just be nice to get the roster flexibility you get from using the IL especially with it only being 10 days.
Ags #1
AG
Thanks!
Frok
AG
The Astros would never downplay a back injury. I'm sure Springer is fine
AustinCountyAg
is today the day Alvarez gets the call?

With Springer "day to day" and Altuve fixing to go to rehab stint their stars may be aligning?
Beat40
AustinCountyAg said:

is today the day Alvarez gets the call?

With Springer "day to day" and Altuve fixing to go to rehab stint their stars may be aligning?
I'm with some of the others on here that there are probably a couple of other people who will get called up before Alvarez. I would think Straw or maybe Tucker might come up before Alvarez.
dshedd41
S
http://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-week-8-power-rankings

Quote:

1) Astros (2 last week)

With no disrespect to the Dodgers, this one really wasn't even close. The season is not yet two months old and the Astros already have had two 10-game winning streaks. Before they lost to the Red Sox Sunday, they had a plus-96 run differential, by far the best in baseball. They also entered Sunday slugging .511 for the season, which is 20 points higher than the best all-time -- .491 by the 2003 Red Sox.
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
Good read on Yordan and puts some perspective on what he's doing in AAA.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/5/18/18629092/vlad-guerrwho-we-have-yordan-alvarez

AustinCountyAg
It is going to be interesting to see what route Lunhow goes, because it is starting to become clear that White isn't going to cut it on this team regardless of how big the lead is in the division....and Kemp isn't too far behind him.

With Altuve going on the rehab assignment, and with Springer most likely out for a little bit (not to mention Diaz) we it will be a perfect time to see one of the younger RR Express boys get a chance in the big's.

Personally, I'd like to see Kemp play 2nd and slide Yuli back to 1st with him and Alvarez DH'ing (with spot starts at 1b mixed in)...I know Hinch has said he isn't to fond of Kemp playing 2nd...random thought- Breg play 2nd, Yuli 3rd and Alverez 1b
Ag_07
AG
I don't think anyone is getting called up unless Springer or Diaz hit the IL.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't think anyone is getting called up unless Springer or Diaz hit the IL.
I mean seeing how we have a full roster and to add someone you have to: DFA someone, send someone down or IL someone.....safe bet boss
YellAg2004
AG
What is Hinch's aversion to playing Kemp at 2nd? That was his main position in the minors. Here we are with both of our 2nd basemen dinged up and it seems like we're trying to force force a square peg into a round hole and a fat round peg into a small round hole with Yuli/White at 2nd/1st.

Kemp isn't hitting much better than White, but at least he can bend over and get his hands on the ground. That circus between Yuli and White trying to catch pop-ups yesterday was embarrassing.
MAROON
AG
yesterday's explanation was pretty simple. Hinch didn't want Kemp batting against Sale. In the interim though, Kemp at 2b and Yuli at 1st makes much more sense, and I'm sure Hinch realizes that.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
YellAg2004
AG
I get that approach when you have the ability to be flexible (i.e. don't have a bunch of people that are dinged up). But when you are short on healthy bodies, I'd rather take the lower production in the lineup than give extra outs in the field. Even bad MLB teams will make you pay for giving them extra outs. Yesterday's extra outs arguably cost us the game.

In the Astros current situation, you're not even getting much of a drop in lineup production between White and Kemp.

I'm glad today's not an off day as I'm ready to have tonight's game flush out the memories of yesterday's.
AustinCountyAg
If you want a good laugh head over to the Rangers thread. They are arguing about Odor and Santana and other Rangers players. Essentially arguing over who sucks the least.
Mathguy64
AG
Rat face is arguably one of the 3 worst every day players in MLB. He has been for 2 of the last 3 years. And they trot him out there at every opportunity. He's got about the worst contract out there right now. What's there to argue about?
Kashchei
AG
YellAg2004 said:

With the lead we've built in the West and the fact that everyone else in the division blows, I see the management going ultra conservative on any injuries (ala 2017). It's frustrating as hell for those of us watching and wanting to win every game, but it's all about the post season.

True. I'm not worried about the West, but I'd like to wrap up home field especially if we face the Red Sox/Ray's in the postseason. I know it's still WAY to early to be thinking about that...
W
AG
wonder if Hinch will just slide Bregman-Brantley-Correa up to 1-2-3
W
AG
speaking of the Rays...the Yankees took over 1st place this weekend.

after starting 14-4...Tampa is 13-13 in the last month.

over the next 2 weeks, the Rays play 10 games vs. the Dodgers, Indians, and Twins.

the Red Sox may catch them by the end of the month
Ag_07
AG
But but but games played

Yes I see they're still using that argument.

Morons. I'm glad they're stuck with him for a while.
bearkatag15
AG

Saw some Giles trade talk on a live chat feature on the MLB Trade Rumors site. I'd love for the Cubs to make that mistake and give up some good prospects for Giles.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
mazag08
AG
W said:

over the next 2 weeks, the Rays play 10 games vs. the Dodgers, Indians, and Twins.

The Rays had an incredibly soft starting schedule. Their record was built mostly against decent teams who started slow (like us), and crap teams.
Marvin
AG
mazag08 said:

W said:

The Rays had an incredibly soft starting schedule. Their record was built mostly against decent teams who started slow (like us), and crap teams.

The Yankees might be a problem if they ever get healthy.
bearkatag15
AG

Marvin
AG
White, Kemp, Marisnick. Oh boy, talk about your rally killer.

(now watch them go 5-12 with a couple of dingers)
bearkatag15
AG
If anyone gets hurt tonight it will be interesting to see how Hinch moves everyone around to fill in the void defensively. Stassi will have to play 1B. If an outfield goes down then Yuli slides to 2B and Kemp moves to OF.
CSWendt
bearkatag15 said:

That's great news. Right now, it would be fantastic if we could get to mid June and have all our players fully healthy. I don't care if they have to sit out two weeks. Just get them as close to 100% while we have an 8 game division lead.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

this tweet gave me discomfort
First Page Last Page
Page 237 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.