***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,706 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one here is fat shaming White. We are all saying he's unprofessional. He's carrying extra weight that appears to have negatively impacted his ability to swing a bat and to play defense. And he appears to not want to do anything about it. He needs to pull a muscle, spend 3 weeks on a diet and treadmill and then go on a rehab assignment. He needs to show he's a professional.
Harry Dunne
Furlock Bones said:

you keep comparing White to Yuli. Yuli has proven to be a clutch hitter. but, ignoring that Yuli is a good position player not a DH. White isn't that and he's a poor DH.
Go look at baseball reference "splits" section. They are just about the same in the clutch. Yuli has had a lot more ABs and a lot more opportunities in the regular and postseason, so emotionally you remember him as "clutch", but the numbers say they're about equal.

Yuli is a better fielder and has proven that he is what he is. He's also old and probably declining.

White only has about one total season of playing time so the jury is still out. He's "only" 28 - entering his prime. White also makes about 5% of what Yuli makes.

The White hatred is mostly emotional and short-sighted. If you can forget he's fat and forget he's in a slump and look at the big picture, you might agree with me a little more.
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

No one here is fat shaming White. We are all saying he's unprofessional. He's carrying extra weight that appears to have negatively impacted his ability to swing a bat and to play defense. And he appears to not want to do anything about it. He needs to pull a muscle, spend 3 weeks on a diet and treadmill and then go on a rehab assignment. He needs to show he's a professional.
I don't think anyone is fat shaming him. It's natural to be frustrated with a guy who is a professional athlete but can't have the discipline to do the most basic part of his job - be fit.

I do think that people get negatively emotional over his weight in a way that they wouldn't if he was a partier (which he may also be, I have no idea) or an addict or had depression or anxiety or something like that. The perception of being fat is different than the perception of the things above, but sometimes it's the same psychological cause, but just manifesting itself in a different way.

Like when Josh Hamilton goes on a bender he's a sympathetic figure that needs help. When White goes off the rails nutritionally he's a fat lazy POS. I don't know, but I'm going to guess he's not just a fat lazy slob that doesn't care enough.
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Furlock Bones said:

you keep comparing White to Yuli. Yuli has proven to be a clutch hitter. but, ignoring that Yuli is a good position player not a DH. White isn't that and he's a poor DH.
Go look at baseball reference "splits" section. They are just about the same in the clutch. Yuli has had a lot more ABs and a lot more opportunities in the regular and postseason, so emotionally you remember him as "clutch", but the numbers say they're about equal.

Yuli is a better fielder and has proven that he is what he is. He's also old and probably declining.

White only has about one total season of playing time so the jury is still out. He's "only" 28 - entering his prime. White also makes about 5% of what Yuli makes.

The White hatred is mostly emotional and short-sighted. If you can forget he's fat and forget he's in a slump and look at the big picture, you might agree with me a little more.
Yuli

White

Give me Yuli all day everyday
CoachRTM
AG
If I were GM, I'd be trading White for 1-2 lottery tickets with high spin rates.
Harry Dunne
Yes, Yuli is better.

But you guys keep making this an argument about White being great, and that's not the argument. The argument is whether White is valuable enough not to be dumped for zero return! You're making my point for me - look at White's numbers...they're good!!! Looks like they are better than his non-clutch numbers. He's certainly not the garbage time stat accumulator that many make him out to be.

The real points are:

• Yuli makes 20x what White does and White is under team control for several years.
  • That we can even have a discussion comparing them. Yuli is better, but he's not in another universe.
  • No one even remotely comparable to Yuli should be dumped for nothing in return, especially when he's dirt cheap!

Harry Dunne
Good discussion everyone - working the night shift but will be thinking of you all when White goes yard tonight and...

Buck Compton
AG
It's not just slumping or not. Stop talking about his "career numbers" which are hardly one season worth of PAs... If you take out a 6-week stretch of last year, this year is perfectly in line with the rest of his career.

White's approach at the plate has gone completely off the deep end. He watches piped fastballs early in the count. His K rate has gone through the roof. His ground ball percentage is up.

He's seeing more curveballs than ever before, and he can't hit them. Even dismissing the curveballs, he is significantly worse this year at identifying the slider to lay off of it and at catching up to the fastball. The only pitch he has been able to handle has been the changeup. His swing rate at pitches out of the zone is way up, and his swing rate at pitches in the zone is way down (watch him... every AB he takes a first or second pitch FB middle of the zone without swinging).

His contact percentage is way down, especially on balls in the zone. He looks slower on the swing, and all of that is why people are hating on him. He got fatter and more out of shape, and it's exactly what's impacting his hitting.

Most of his value has come from walks, where he is absolutely a liability because of how fat and slow he is.
titanmaster_race
CSWendt said:

Realistic scenario:

You package Tyler White in a trade for someone like Bumgarner, and include a couple prospects. This clears up at least one roster spot.

Bumgarner for white? If that's realistic, then I'm Jose Altuve.
shano0603
AG
CSWendt said:

Realistic scenario:

You package Tyler White in a trade for someone like Bumgarner, and include a couple prospects. This clears up at least one roster spot.

Madbum has a no trade clause to Houston. So he'd have to approve being traded.
AgDoc03
AG
Buck Compton said:

It's not just slumping or not. Stop talking about his "career numbers" which are hardly one season worth of PAs... If you take out a 6-week stretch of last year, this year is perfectly in line with the rest of his career.

White's approach at the plate has gone completely off the deep end. He watches piped fastballs early in the count. His K rate has gone through the roof. His ground ball percentage is up.

He's seeing more curveballs than ever before, and he can't hit them. Even dismissing the curveballs, he is significantly worse this year at identifying the slider to lay off of it and at catching up to the fastball. The only pitch he has been able to handle has been the changeup. His swing rate at pitches out of the zone is way up, and his swing rate at pitches in the zone is way down (watch him... every AB he takes a first or second pitch FB middle of the zone without swinging).

His contact percentage is way down, especially on balls in the zone. He looks slower on the swing, and all of that is why people are hating on him. He got fatter and more out of shape, and it's exactly what's impacting his hitting.

Most of his value has come from walks, where he is absolutely a liability because of how fat and slow he is.

What he said
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
judgment day is coming for White when Altuve returns. Because Diaz has locked down the DH spot now. He has to be in the lineup 4 or 5 times per week. No more AB's available for White
ChAg1799
AG
Uhhh... the DH job belongs to Mr. Brantley.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
shano0603 said:

CSWendt said:

Realistic scenario:

Madbum has a no trade clause to Houston. So he'd have to approve being traded.

It's not a real no trade clause, he is allowed to name 8 teams as no trade , he can still approve trades but is owed negotiated compensation from the giants. It's a way to get extra cash in the event if a trade. So he lists the most likely teams to trade for him, I.e contenders
irish pete ag06
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Good discussion everyone - working the night shift but will be thinking of you all when White goes yard tonight and...

White is going to go on a homer barrage, it's just a matter of time. Will he hit 20 this season, no... but he will hit some.
Mathguy64
AG
He won't hit 5 HR. Watch his swing. Hes all arms and his top hand is off the bat as he follows through because he isn't turning at the waist. He has 0 flexibility.
mwm
Wait, Harry. Help me understand. Are you a fan of a "huge" Kirby Puckett or are you a "huge" fan of Kirby Puckett?

Be careful how you answer...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Hey guys, been a while. How's everyone doing? We happy?
dshedd41
S
great.
Here's the companion podcast, which is great by the way, listening to it right now
Gig’em Aggies!
McInnis
AG
Quote:

the thing about White is that he came into this season even fatter than last and he's not hitting. that shows a huge lack of offseason effort and training.

For all the debate here about his statistics, this says it all. John Kruk could show up out of shape; he can't.
PSully97
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but still the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Unfortunately I'm just a Tyler White apologist and for some reason not bothered by him being fat. Probably because I'm fat and a huge Kirby Puckett fan.

Puckett!
Beat40
For all of this talk of Madison Bumgarner - wasn't there some sort of issue with him a few years back? Didn't we try to sign him as a free agent and he endued up using us to get more out of the Giants and the said something like he would never want to play for the Astros?

Was that Bumgarner or someone else on the giants? Vogelsong?

Edit to say I looked it up and it was Vogelsong. I only wondered because Bumgarner has us on his no trade list and wondered if there was possibly some bad blood from before.
redline248
AG
I don't know the answer, but was that during the dark times?
Beat40
redline248 said:

I don't know the answer, but was that during the dark times?
I looked it up - it was Vogelsong.
bearkatag15
AG

Mathguy64
AG
What in the world will we complain about tonight without the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man in the lineup?
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

What in the world will we complain about tonight without the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man in the lineup?

JV's traditional early home run allowance.
tjack16
AG
dlance said:

mathguy86 said:

followed by his 6 straight scoreless innings even though he "doesn't have his command tonight"
Mathguy64
AG
dlance said:

mathguy86 said:

And JV's traditional lack of run support.
redline248
AG
Top candidates:
Correa K on low/away slider
George swings out of his shoes and misses
Devo inning
Yuli GIDP
Bregxit
AG
Just answering the question good sirs.
W
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Uhhh... the DH job belongs to Mr. Brantley.
I've got Brantley as the primary leftfielder.

leaving the DH job to Diaz most nights once Altuve returns
McInnis
AG
Why wouldn't Brantley be a good choice as DH? Isn't he the 4th best outfielder on the team?
redline248
AG
In W's scenario, it's bc he's a better option in the OF than Diaz, and Diaz has no position once Altuve returns.
bearkatag15
AG

Hinch is starting to see what we are seeing (Except for Harry)
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.