***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,963 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
03_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi, Im Brett said:

Deluxe said:

We had the best team in baseball this year and maybe the best team on paper that the Astros will have in my lifetime.

and as good as the Astros were, the Nats matched them over the last 125+ games. That's not a small sample size, and they didn't just get hot in the postseason.

I know it's being painted as a choke job, but sometimes it also helps to give some credit where credit is due. They had great pitching and clutch hitting.

Oddly enough, they really weren't anymore clutch in their hitting then we were. They were just as inept at home as we were it just so happens that the whole series played out that way and they actually reaped a benefit of playing four of the seven games on the road.

Both teams were clutch on the road and inept at home. The difference ended up being they played four on the road and we played three. Considered a choke because you came home up 3-2 and just needed one to win and also blew a 2-0 lead in the late innings of game 7.

Hi, Im Brett
AG
Doubt we'll see the road team win all 7 again in any sport. So crazy
Mr.Ackar07
This all came down to sequencing. The 2015 Rangers had it, but somehow the Astros data department failed to account for it.
Ag12thman
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

I got a wild hair yesterday morning and bought 3 tickets to Game 7. We left San Antonio around 2:30, and me, my son and son-in-law had a fantastic experience at Minute Maid!! The game result was extremely disappointing, but the memories were worth it. As a lifelong fan who used to listen to the Astros on my transistor radio in the late 60's, the loss is heartbreaking, but the experience of Game 7 was unbelievable.
Man, I wish they'd have won it for people like you. Glad you had a great time, but would have been all the more great with a World Series title.
tremble
AG
That second inning was ****ing brutal.

Chirinos' bunt for one. But then Reddick scalds a ball down the line that actually HITS first base and somehow doesn't carom wildly but literally falls into the defender's path. You can even see him ****ing think how lucky he is when he tags first.

Then Springer launches a drive that Soto misjudged and still barely manages to recover on.

That's it right there. If either of those get pst them we score two easily. ****ing sucks but that's baseball
McInnis
AG
The game that ripped our hearts out was game one. We'll always have to wonder what if the ump didn't miss the catcher's interference on Reddick, and if Springer had run out that fly ball. Well thank God for 2017. This would have hurt worse without it.
03_Aggie
Hi, Im Brett said:

Doubt we'll see the road team win all 7 again in any sport. So crazy

Probably right. And in what usually seems to be the case, a Houston team will be in a record book on the wrong side of history.
tjack16
AG
what's crazy is that for a 7 game series, there was only one really good game... game 1.

Game 1 is the one that I look back to as the one we should have won. Lost 5-4
JDUB08AG
AG
Safe at Home said:

The game that ripped our hearts out was game one. We'll always have to wonder what if the ump didn't miss the catcher's interference on Reddick, and if Springer had run out that fly ball. Well thank God for 2017. This would have hurt worse without it.

Nothing will ever take this feeling, this moment away. Ever.

Agnzona
Ultimately this series was lost at the plate in home games and wasn't just "that's baseball" it was psychological and conscious decesions about approach. We tried to out think every pitch.

On the plus side Luhnow said before the series the next big improvements in the game will be medical, both physical and psychological.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
iBrad
AG
We couldn't come up with the timely hit at home and the bullpen faltered in three of the games. We were a different team at home, which is just crazy.
maca1028
Glass half full take here. In a way it feels kind of good to be this upset about a World Series game 7 loss because the other teams that I root for (Ag's, Texans, Rockets) would kill to be in the position the Astros are in now.
Agnzona
They let the pressure of expectations get to them.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Big Al 1992
AG
Julia says it best

iBrad
AG
We outscored the Nats 19-3 on the road.

We were outscored at home, 11-30 (and that included one Cole and two Verlander starts).
Big Al 1992
AG
As dumb as AJ's pitching changes were last night, this is why we came up short

Ags #1
AG
I disagree a little about how they will be talked about for years to come. they were a great team but couldn't get a ws title. But it really depends on what she means by that. If she means for the next 20 years we will be talking about the 2017 was the greatest of all time I don't think so. But if we will always talk about how they were great but couldn't win the title then sure people will always talk about that like they do the mariners of 2001
979ag
AG
hInCh ShOuLd HaVe LeFt GrIeNkE iN
Philip J Fry
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Julia says it best

No we won't. Just like we don't talk about the 2018 team.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
not even close to the 2001 mariners

Seattle won 116 games in 2001 and is now only franchise to never reach a world series. Lost to yankees 4-1 in ALCS

'Stros won 2 years ago with many of the same players and have reached world series 2 out of 3 years now.
Ags #1
AG
Think you are missing my point. How is she saying they will be talked about? In what context? Me personally i wont be talking about them for years to come as the greatest astros team ever cause they couldnt get it done like the 17 team dis
Ags #1
AG
Agreed
AggieLit
Deluxe said:

We had the best team in baseball this year and maybe the best team on paper that the Astros will have in my lifetime. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much in the playoffs. I posted something a few months about the Cardinals during the Luhnow era. They went like 10 years with a very high level club. A few years (like 2004), they probably had the best team but didn't win the World Series. Then they won the World Series in 2006 with a team that barely won 80 games because they got hot at the right time.

I suspect the ~10 year run that we're in the midst of will end up looking similar to that. A few years we're going to have the best team but not win. Then a few years we're going to get hot at the right time and win. Needless to say... thank god we have the 2017 title in our back pocket. I can't imagine losing last night if we were still ringless.
This makes me wonder how the late 90's Yankees did what they did. Did they get hot at the right time 4 out of 5 years? Or was their payroll just so far beyond the rest of baseball that they were like an All Star team playing normal teams?

I was kind of hoping the Astros would be a dynasty like the 90's Yankees, but I should have realized how rare that is in baseball history. So many legendary teams won once and didn't repeat. '86 Mets, '94 Braves, '04 Red Sox, etc.
Thinice
Any Astros game > 159-158 Rockets game
Nino Brown
I know this is hard to believe for some of you right now but this club will be right back in the ALCS again next year with another chance to win the World Series if we get through. Hats off to an above average Nats team for getting hot at the right time.
07ag
AG
frustrating and disappointing outcome, but still quite a ride this year. had incredible experiences going to alcs game 6, and world series game 7. will never forget either of those games
https://ts.la/eric59704
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Lol nobody remembers who came in second place. I'll remember the 2015 team more fondly than this 2019 team, simply because they werent expected to do anything.

This team should have won and were supposed to. They didnt. Underperformed.

At least we will get a sweet new pennant next to the oxy sign at MMP...
astros4545
AG
Our thread is 15X longer than the Rangers thread

Our offseason thread will pass theirs tonight
bdgol07
AG
AggieLit said:

Deluxe said:

We had the best team in baseball this year and maybe the best team on paper that the Astros will have in my lifetime. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much in the playoffs. I posted something a few months about the Cardinals during the Luhnow era. They went like 10 years with a very high level club. A few years (like 2004), they probably had the best team but didn't win the World Series. Then they won the World Series in 2006 with a team that barely won 80 games because they got hot at the right time.

I suspect the ~10 year run that we're in the midst of will end up looking similar to that. A few years we're going to have the best team but not win. Then a few years we're going to get hot at the right time and win. Needless to say... thank god we have the 2017 title in our back pocket. I can't imagine losing last night if we were still ringless.
This makes me wonder how the late 90's Yankees did what they did. Did they get hot at the right time 4 out of 5 years? Or was their payroll just so far beyond the rest of baseball that they were like an All Star team playing normal teams?

I was kind of hoping the Astros would be a dynasty like the 90's Yankees, but I should have realized how rare that is in baseball history. So many legendary teams won once and didn't repeat. '86 Mets, '94 Braves, '04 Red Sox, etc.

They had a payroll of hitters and a backend of a bullpen that was all but a guarantee to not blow a lead. They breeded that champion style bravado and they backed it up when it counted for the most part
iBrad
AG
Teams are measured by championships, but it's hard to say this team under-performed after winning 107 games and losing game seven of the World Series. We were a little good fortune away from hoisting another trophy.

If George's liner drops and scores two more, we win that game easily. We did everything right early in the game to put it away and couldn't catch a break. Springer, Altuve, and Alavarez all made solid contact with RISP with nothing to show for it.

You can't make a ball find a gap. You can't purposefully poke an opposite field soft liner just over the fence for a home run. There's luck involved, and it didn't go our way last night. A lack of luck doesn't mean we under-performed.
Ag_07
AG
It's been stated multiple times but in baseball which is played over a 162 game season the best team doesn't always win it all.

The playoffs are as close to a crapshoot as you can get and winning ti all has so much to do with getting hot at the right time.
Nino Brown
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Lol nobody remembers who came in second place. I'll remember the 2015 team more fondly than this 2019 team, simply because they werent expected to do anything.

This team should have won and were supposed to. They didnt. Underperformed.

At least we will get a sweet new pennant next to the oxy sign at MMP...
Wait what? That is one of the dumbest overused comments in sports. If you're an Astros fan, why do you care if anyone remembers you or not. Being a sports fan is about following a team together with your family and friends. You made a connection with 2015 team for obvious reasons but just because this team was "supposed" to win doesn't mean if the Nats were healthy all year possibly they were "supposed" to.
Ag_07
AG
So I think the only proper way to put this thread to rest is a Vincent Vega gif with the trophy in background.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm putting this to rest with the ugliest rally Kate ever. She failed miserably at her job and is officially in retirement. So here goes.

Worst ever Rally Kate. RIP.

EagleAg19
I've decided that this loss rests solely on Matthew McConaughey and whoever decided to invite him. And now I'm ready to move-on.
First Page Last Page
Page 2124 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.