***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,182 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This really baffles me. Would they really use Corbin in game one as late relief? That would have to burn him starting in game 3. Maybe they can use him in game 4?
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

Devo made the roster?0. For mop up duty i assume
Can't trust Abreau yet and he can get out a lefty in a pinch... or he used to. Not so much this year.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This really baffles me. Would they really use Corbin in game one as late relief? That would have to burn him starting in game 3. Maybe they can use him in game 4?
They've been playing this game all postseason. They are forced to because their bullpen sucks... a lot.
rosco511
AG
bearkatag15 said:

They have been using him like that in both of the first two series.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

If they do that, they have to be thinking they are going Scherzer and Strausburg on short rest of the series, right?
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

They've been playing this game all postseason. They are forced to because their bullpen sucks... a lot.

Problem for them is they have to do this over a 7 game series against a much better offense than the Cards.
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Sanchez starts GM 3 vs Greinke then Schrezer in GM 4 on short rest?

It's gonna be tough on Martinez having swept STL and not really having to make many tough decisions throughout a 7 game series.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Martinez just doesn't trust his pen. I wouldn't either. And if they use their starters as relievers it makes them that much less effective and we get that many more looks at them.
Jackal99
AG
Farmer1906 said:

third coast.. said:

can you take sealed water bottles in to the juicebox?

Up to 1 L per person in a single sealed bottle.
If you take it in a bag, make sure it's one of them clear bags. No backpacks allowed in. Food in a gallon ziploc bag, too. From my experience, they let it go if it fits. I've gotten Happy Meals for my son in that way, nobody bats an eye. Much better policy under Crane than Uncle Drayton.
Furlock Bones
AG
Wabs said:

It baffles me why Rondon is on the roster. I guess there aren't many other options. That dude can't get through a clean inning so hopefully we don't expect or need him to.
probably if we have a game get out of hand, you want another arm to go throw. Astros are masters at figuring out bull pens over a long series. so, they know not to pitch the same guys again and again.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Sanchez starts GM 3 vs Greinke then Schrezer in GM 4 on short rest?

It's gonna be tough on Martinez having swept STL and not really having to make many tough decisions throughout a 7 game series.

This is a really good point too. 5 game series and a sweep. It hasn't been too taxing yet. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Boone probably made the mistake taking Tanaka out too early in game 1, and I think it came back to bite them.
bearkatag15
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Wabs said:

It baffles me why Rondon is on the roster. I guess there aren't many other options. That dude can't get through a clean inning so hopefully we don't expect or need him to.
probably if we have a game get out of hand, you want another arm to go throw. Astros are masters at figuring out bull pens over a long series. so, they know not to pitch the same guys again and again.
So give us an early look at a game 3 or game 4 starter? seems counter productive.
aggiedata
AG
Nice tidbit
Frok
AG
I'm a little nervous facing Sherzer and Strasburg.

Need Springer to get a lead off hit to loosen everyone up.
Ag_07
AG
Boone shat the bed multiple times

I still think he tried to mimic the TB approach after seeing us struggle with seeing so many pitchers.

But yeah Martinez needs to be careful to not put his BP in a precarious position early in the series. The way in which he approaches this series will be an interesting story line.

And are some of y'all still questioning Hinch and his roster/BP management?
annie88
AG
You never apologize to the Mob. Because now what they have heard is he admitted to doing what they claimed he did. He did not.

He did admit it to making a statement about Osuna but it had NOTHING to do with other reporters that were there female or not. It had nothing to do with insulting women or those who have survived domestic abuse. That is the media's slant and a way to gear up animosity against the Astros.

That's why he should've taken a harder stand and not just put a blank apology out there. Once you apologize to the mob especially the liberal media one, he's screwed. The Astros probably rushed their statement yesterday but theirs is actually more accurate than what was said today.

Anybody that doesn't think this is a targeted attack on the Astros on the day of the World Series is very nave. I'm watching the MLB channel right now and they've already mentioned it twice in the last half hour.

This has been a phenomenal road to this World Series and after the emotion of last week it is just a shame that this is what is being talked about today. It is an insult to all the players on our team. I agree that the guy put our team in a bad situation but I absolutely believe he didn't do anything with any malicious intent. He's now falling right into their hands and they've acted like he has admitted to doing what they said he did. Very mis-handled.

So, let's move on and get back into the games but this is really just a cluster **** all around.
bearkatag15
AG
annie88
AG
If it were not the Astros in the World Series I will be pulling for the nationals. I always like underdog stories and/or those of a team who's never been to a event before.

I remember how excited I was in 2005 on the Astros finally made it to the World Series. Yes, that one didn't work out great for us but that emotion is really cool.

But sorry Washington, got a go for my Astros. I have been a fan since 1970 when we moved to Houston and I was four and went to my first game.
Teddy Perkins
AG
annie88
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Good news.
CoachRTM
AG
The Nationals lineup 1-5 is up to par with the other playoff teams. They're going to need to do a lot of damage against our pitching to win the World Series.

6-9 is basically a bunch of risk/reward. Victor Robles for example can be really dangerous, but disappears for long stretches.

Their lineup overall is pretty good at not striking out. I anticipate some long at-bats.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Boone shat the bed multiple times

I still think he tried to mimic the TB approach after seeing us struggle with seeing so many pitchers.

But yeah Martinez needs to be careful to not put his BP in a precarious position early in the series. The way in which he approaches this series will be an interesting story line.

And are some of y'all still questioning Hinch and his roster/BP management?

I definitely think he tried to mimic the TB approach a little bit.

I think the way Martinez approaches his bullpen is dependent on the game and score. I think in game 1 or game 2, if they are up in the late innings, he'll put Corbin in that game. If we win game 1 and are leading late in game 2, but only by 1 or 2, I can see him putting Corbin to bide time to try and steal one on the road. If we win game 1 and are up by 3 or more, he's not putting him in.
Teddy Perkins
AG

All class from AJ. Handled the question on the SI report the correct way.
Mathguy64
AG
Alright. I'm headed to class and probably wont post again until game time.

Prediction time: Astros in 6.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Devo in because of his experience but excited for Abreau's future. Moment won't be too big for Devo. Likes the work he did in between the series. Devo was grateful and he is trustworthy.
-AJ
spadilly
S

Fantastic quote.
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
aggiedata said:

Nice tidbit

Heyyyyoooo I don't remember this at all, but that's me. BB life.
Bregxit
AG
spadilly said:

Fantastic quote.
AJ for manager + Asst GM role?
astros4545
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

All class from AJ. Handled the question on the SI report the correct way.

I can only assume he means the media industry

Love this manager
annie88
AG
Direct quote fro MLB announcer not 10 minutes ago:

"This organization had/has some problems with humanity in general. I love this team on the field. Let's not forget barred a reporter from Detroit earlier in the season because they didn't like stuff he'd written about JV.

That was against the rules, ... .... this again, even if we buy the Astros initial story are they ok with a guy just yelling across the room at reporters in a scatalogical way over and over, by the way during a celebration, where is your mind at? This is just bad behavior. MLB has investigators come here to look at this and I would be surprised if there is not some strong discipline to it.

The other guy was more tempered.

So now the Astros have problems with humanity. Good grief. Such BS. So overblown.
1872walker
annie88 said:

So now the Astros have problems with humanity. Good grief. Such BS. So overblown.

Frankly, I have a problem with a large portion of humanity these days. I'm cool with it.
Frok
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Devo in because of his experience but excited for Abreau's future. Moment won't be too big for Devo. Likes the work he did in between the series. Devo was grateful and he is trustworthy.
-AJ

Devo has been bad this year but if we get that deep in the bullpen at least he has experience being good in these moments before

Maybe the weeks off will do him some good
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Wow! From a team nobody cared about for years, to the enemy of baseball... we made it boys and girls!!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
THey can ban every reporter from the locker room for the rest of time as long as they keep winning 100 + every year.

I realized just now I'm really going to miss seeing Edwin Encarnacion on deck with guys on base and thinking "Well, there's the next out right there."
First Page Last Page
Page 1697 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.