***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,622 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Sid Farkas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCA1 said:

astros4545 said:

Why is someone wearing an anti women abuse clothing as a job working in sports reporting

Is Christine Blaise's Ford working for SI now
Well, she did win SI's courage award last year. Seriously.
Sounds like it's a critical part of her professional identity and she's gotta squeeze it for all its worth...

Brings to mind the father of the waiter OJ decapitated who used to make sales calls at my place of business wearing a button with a picture of his murdered son on it...he obviously calculated it was good for business no matter how inappropriate
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Gap
AG
What in the world is wrong with the quote being attributed? Looks like fake news and a typical media agenda created story that we constantly see now. This is why the media is hated and untrusted now. Sad.

Quote:

"Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so f------ glad we got Osuna!"
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

This bull**** line in the article is all you need to know to realize that thia kind of thing will never stop. Trash people.

"The Astros may win another World Series. But that doesn't mean they get to decide when the backlash ends."

This pisses me off. He served his time that MLB gave him, yet this ***** can't accept that. I think this didn't happen or she took something way differently than others did.
Quote:

But in truth, the Astros' front office acts as if it is tired of being yelled at about this subject. They want to be allowed to play their baseball games and pop their champagne without being forced to think about anything that happened away from the ballpark.
JW_TXAG13
AG
I bet a loaded question was asked about Osuna and pointed out he blew the lead at which point Taubman was probably drunk and backed up a guy on the team.

We'll see how this turns out but I tend to not trust any of the parties backing this story so far.
gigemJTH12
AG
JCA1 said:

No idea what happened in the locker room and booze was flowing which can lead to poor choices. But the idea that a MLB exec would pick the ALCS championship celebration to harass women about domestic violence makes no sense from any perspective. Gotta be on camera somewhere so I guess we'll find out at some point.

Two days later and she ran with the article with no actual proof. Guarantee you non exists.
Gap
AG
Jansen90 said:

I bet a loaded question was asked about Osuna and pointed out he blew the lead at which point Taubman was probably drunk and backed up a guy on the team.

We'll see how this turns out but I tend to not trust any of the parties backing this story so far.

Taubman isn't even alleged to have said anything about domestic violence. Read the quote.
Cromagnum
AG
1st day in Maine and its 50-50 on the reactions to my Astros hat. The first place we stopped to eat, one of the employees saw me and just had to show me a meme of Arnold (Red Sox) handshaking Carl Weathers (Astros) with the caption of eff the Yankees. The 2nd guy I met was a Yankees fan but said we had a great team and Hope's we beat the Nats.
Mr.Bond
AG
Every reporter on Twitter confirming the alleged incident is from New York..... Wild coincidence
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

JW_TXAG13
AG
Gap said:

Jansen90 said:

Taubman isn't even alleged to have said anything about domestic violence. Read the quote.

I never said he did? I said I bet he backed up Osuna to a loaded question in regards to him saying he's so glad we signed Osuna.
bullard21k
AG
Didn't the lady end up dropping the charges?

I don't recall all the details

gigemJTH12
AG
I didn't know he looks like this. Doesn't help his case.

Sid Farkas
AG
Cancel culture might win regardless of the facts
JCA1
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

JCA1 said:

No idea what happened in the locker room and booze was flowing which can lead to poor choices. But the idea that a MLB exec would pick the ALCS championship celebration to harass women about domestic violence makes no sense from any perspective. Gotta be on camera somewhere so I guess we'll find out at some point.

Two days later and she ran with the article with no actual proof. Guarantee you non exists.

Possibly. But hard to believe with all the media and cell phones in there.

After thinking on it and considering the various comments released so far, my guess as to what happened is this. One of the reporters was there with the goal of questioning Osuna on his domestic abuse allegations. At some point during the celebration, she blindsided Osuna with it. The Astros exec either heard it first hand or was informed about it shortly thereafter. He's pissed that a reporter would pick this moment to bring this up. After a drink or 2, he walks by the reporter and makes some comment. It was his attempt to have Osuna's back and let the reporter know he didn't appreciate the timing of the questions. The other reporters who hear this weren't there when the reporter blindsided Osuna and don't understand the backstory behind his seemingly random comments. This makes the most sense based on what we know so far.
irish pete ag06
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

EagleAg19
Don't like this one bit. Even if it's completely false, we threw gasoline on the fire with that statement.
BCSGrubber
AG
Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Not a good look at all. I was very "vocal" about being unhappy with the non baseball side of the Osuna trade.

Taubman can feel however he likes, but based on the reports he sounds like as ass. He should have kept that little outburst to himself. I feel like there was probably something that triggered his outburst that hasn't been mentioned yet, but that still doesn't excuse it.

I'm not saying we need to fire him, but Jeff should at least call him in to his office and make this a teachable
moment.
Post removed:
by user
BCSGrubber
AG
How with all the cameras and hot mics is this not on a recording somewhere?
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm going to bed. This is Bull**** without proof and context.

Goodnight stros Bros
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

Hinch is gonna manager circles around Martinez.

He's already showing signs he's panicking talking about Corbin out of the pen.

That's one aspect I'm certain we have a HUGE advantage.

Every interview I've seen with Martnez makes him seem like he has absolutely no clue what he's doing. In over his head kinda thing. But he got the nats to the series, so I'm probably wrong.
Ag_07
AG
I smell BS from the very first paragraph.

Everyone knows Reddick doesn't drink. Why would he be drinking vodka Red Bull?
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

I smell BS from the very first paragraph.

Everyone knows Reddick doesn't drink. Why would he be drinking vodka Red Bull?

He drinks per a friend that went on a double date with him (not that it matters)

And guys, let's keep the reporter bull**** crap in the forum only for the rest of the off day (22 minutes left)

Let's focus on the game tomorrow
redline248
AG
Scrolling through various Twitter comments, it strikes me how easily people believe something a reporter says...

But say God exists and they all want proof.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

rsf0626 said:

Houston Chronicle writer who was actually in the locker room said the SI article is true, so not fake news. Bad look for the organization

You mean the guy whose twitter bio says "NYC native"??

And another person who didn't have video or audio?

Yeah definitely true now!

This guy

https://www.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/8x2k7h/how_to_lose_your_job_as_a_beat_reporter/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_title
AggiEE
Big nothingburger

Who ****ing cares? Some obnoxious journalist made a comment about Osuna blowing the game and the Stros staffer just barked back

Take the outrage culture elsewhere, sick of this ****
Gap
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

gigemJTH12 said:

rsf0626 said:

Houston Chronicle writer who was actually in the locker room said the SI article is true, so not fake news. Bad look for the organization

You mean the guy whose twitter bio says "NYC native"??

And another person who didn't have video or audio?

Yeah definitely true now!

This guy

https://www.reddit.com/r/Astros/comments/8x2k7h/how_to_lose_your_job_as_a_beat_reporter/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_title

So a Houston Chronicle reporter is confirming the words: "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so f------ glad we got Osuna!"

Can someone tell me why this quote warrants a story and front page of ESPN coverage and why I should care?
agproducer
AG
Speaking as a former journalist, what is missing here is context.

The fact other journalists saw it happen means it probably happened. But, again, what was the context? Reporters who saw it may have just seen Taubman shouting about Osuna in front of the reporters. He may have been defending the guy after questions about domestic violence.

There are also a few things at play here: alcohol, celebrations and journalist access. Alcohol obviously can lead to bad decisions. At some point, the Astros needed to close their locker room. Also, all personnel needed to be alerted to have a good time, but to be in their best behavior. Always assume mics are hot, cameras are rolling and everything is in record when journalists are present. So, the Astros screwed up.

Now, that being said, this reporter had carried the torch for the domestic violence cause. She has taken the situation and put that spin in it. We don't know Taubman's intention about the comment, but to make that leap is an interesting one. It's like the old Office Space Jump to Conclusions game.

Obviously, the situation made a scene in the locker room. Again, we need to know context, and the reporter presented context as she saw it. Astros PR now has additional work to do because they called the article "misleading" and others have claimed to have seen it. They need to provide more context now publicly to clarify what happened and why it is misleading.

It's just ANOTHER distraction. In 2017, we had the incident with Yuli that was an issue during the WS. Here we go again. This is another opportunity for the Astros to be villains.

I love this team.

As for the 48 hour delay: an article like that with those accusations had to go through several hoops. The reporter had to write it. Her editor had to approve it/edit it. Since the reporter was part of the story and it is inflammatory, SI's legal consultants had to determine the risk of libel. That would constitute the delay.

As always, there are at least two sides to every story and experience. IMO, Taubman should have been more careful. You never know how something may be interpreted, even if you are messing around. The reporter may have been extra sensitive and read into things.

Astros need to clarify their statement and explain what happened. Taubman will likely need to issue an apology. The Astros should back him and as was said earlier, treat it as a teachable moment.

Sadly, I see this issue carrying through the WS, and being a story line.
Gap
AG
Being a formal journalist, you probably have a lot more respect for journalists and the industry than most others in the public at large. Most have seen gross evidence of bias and created fake news stories recently and as a result don't believe any process of legitimate "hoops" or fairness are involved here. There is too much evidence to the contrary. In fact, most believe the industry is a cesspool and I think the reputation has been well earned.

At the heart of the story is a quote. Please help me understand what is wrong with the comment at the heart of this story. The quote "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so f------ glad we got Osuna!" is something that was quite evident when the Astros traded for him on June 30, 2018 and when he first suited up for them on August 6, 2018 and every time they have put him in a game since.

Am I supposed to assume some promotion of domestic violence by the Astros was implicit in a quote that didn't touch the issue at all? Never apologize for something you didn't do. That would 100% be the wrong thing to do.

Below are a couple of tweets from writers for The Athletic. This is what the media does. You hate to see it happen, but when you think about it, it should have been expected.

Now I'm being told by sportswriters that Osuna shouldn't be allowed to play baseball or I should at least be pulling against him regardless of the process he went through to get back on the field. The just seems like the media trying to do the same crap to baseball that they have been doing to the NFL.

expresswrittenconsent
The spin here has been a fun off day distraction.
The Astros employee seems like an idiot but this is a non story that will be gone by game time.
Philip J Fry
AG
Good for the employee. Tired of everyone bending over backwards for the drive by reporters abs social media.
Agnzona
Is it just me or does it seem the NY , Players and media are all the Astros little beoches? Man are we in their heads!
Laser Wolf
Agnzona said:

Is it just me or does it seem the NY , Players and media are all the Astros little beoches? Man are we in their heads!

Hate us 'cause they ain't us.
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Woke up at 4:30 this morning and haven't been able to go back to sleep. Too excited about going to Game 1 tonight. Will be my first ever playoff game to attend.

Also baseball related, parked next to Jake Arrietta at my daughter's softball game last night in Cedar Park. He's a pretty big dude (coming from someone who is 5'7").
First Page Last Page
Page 1689 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.