***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,062 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

I don't know if I buy what he's selling.
Can I get 11 minutes of my life back. Dude basically used the SpongeBob crabby-patty secret formula as to why Justin, Charlie, and Cole are pitching incredibly well.

He did get one thing right, Brent Strom is the #1 reason our pitchers have excelled and it's not a coincidence that our pitching struggled when he left the team for 1-2 weeks earlier this year.
BMX Bandit
Wabs said:

Was just listening to Russo on Mad Dog radio. He basically repeats what he said about the Astros making a mistake starting JV in G5. I think an assumption he is making is that just because Hinch said JV was starting G5 that it's against the law to change his mind after what he sees in G4.

It's a safe bet Hinch doesn't change his mind
Cromagnum
AG
Oh no, I made a valid comparison. Too many conspiracy theorists swear up and down that the Astros are nothing but sign stealing cheaters, and have been for years and years. Nobody can prove it of course, but repeatedly saying it must mean we do it.
Prosperdick
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Was just listening to Russo on Mad Dog radio. He basically repeats what he said about the Astros making a mistake starting JV in G5. I think an assumption he is making is that just because Hinch said JV was starting G5 that it's against the law to change his mind after what he sees in G4.

It's a safe bet Hinch doesn't change his mind
Like I said in my intentionally walk a game post, Hinch is consistent and losers play the what if, safe approach and winners go home and **** the prom queen (I bet Kate Upton was one and so was Mrs. Cole).
Cromagnum
AG
I dont see why he would change his mind. You try to end this series as early as possible to maximize rest time before the WS. We will have one BP game and a JV game at minimum. And then we wait and see.
Texaggie7nine
Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

Which part? Paying Cole to keep the "secret" from getting out? The rest is common knowledge amongst Astros fans that have been paying attention.

Common knowledge that one little secret thing is why astro pitchers are better ?

Guess I'm not a fan that has been paying attention.
7nine
Bregxit
AG
Prosperdick said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

Can I get 11 minutes of my life back. Dude basically used the SpongeBob crabby-patty secret formula as to why Justin, Charlie, and Cole are pitching incredibly well.

He did get one thing right, Brent Strom is the #1 reason our pitchers have excelled and it's not a coincidence that our pitching struggled when he left the team for 1-2 weeks earlier this year.

I don't get the SB reference but this guy literally regurgitated about three years worth of various interviews and comments with and about our pitching staff. There was nothing Earth shattering or new in that video.
8T2
Prosperdick said:

Hinch is consistent in his approach...and players love that about him, they know what to expect. He always gave guys scheduled days off whether they were hot or not. He used analytics for shifts despite some player's objections (cough, Dallas, cough) and he didn't put up with disrespect (see ya Giles).

He also never intentionally walked a batter. From a macro level that's what this pitching decision is...essentially we're not going to intentionally walk a game with our bullpen. We're going to go right after you and if you beat us, you tip your cap and move on to the next game.

I literally love Hinch.
Hinch already said as much in the ALDS. When he started Verlander on short rest, he said, "We want to win, and we want to win now." Pitching a rested Verlander in Game 5 would be the same approach. We want to win, and we want to win it now.
Ag_07
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

I am

He's saying we know some way to make pitchers better that other teams don't.

Hard to argue with that.
Bregxit
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

Which part? Paying Cole to keep the "secret" from getting out? The rest is common knowledge amongst Astros fans that have been paying attention.

Common knowledge that one little secret thing is why astro pitchers are better ?

You said you weren't buying what he is selling. Everything he said besides paying Cole to keep a secret is common knowledge. So is that the part you are talking about? If so, I agree. There is not some super secret one thing the Astros are doing. I wasn't trying to poke at you or anything.
Bregxit
AG
Ag_07 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

I am

He's saying we know some way to make pitchers better that other teams don't.

Hard to argue with that.

We replace their ligaments with nano tech bio-engineered versions. Lance hadn't had the procedure yet so his originals failed.
titanmaster_race
Doolittle is a funny guy.
titanmaster_race
Harry Dunne said:

rak1693 said:

bearkatag15 said:

You'd have to imagine that they're saving Cole for Game 7 unless if we're facing elimination in Game 6.
Not a chance. You've got to step on the Yankees' neck. AJ would never be forgiven if he tried to get cute and it didn't work out.

It's not about "getting cute" is about the undisputable statistical trend of starters turning in starts of significantly worse quality when pitching on short rest.

If game 6 is not an elimination game, there is no way in hell you pitch Cole.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Guys it's simple...

We heat up the ice cubes
Texaggie7nine
Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

You said you weren't buying what he is selling. Everything he said besides paying Cole to keep a secret is common knowledge. So is that the part you are talking about? If so, I agree. There is not some super secret one thing the Astros are doing. I wasn't trying to poke at you or anything.

Do you believe Morton passed on this knowledge to the Ray's and that is why their pitching is so good??

I am sure Strom is a big reason and I'm sure there is technique issues, but I dont think it's something like a easy trick to tell other pitchers and we just know it and the other teams dont.
7nine
Bregxit
AG
McInnis
AG
It's been a while,

Go Go Astros
ClickClack
AG
Isn't Carlos Beltran on their staff? He was the master sign stealer / picking up on pitch tipping for us in 2017. Idiot Yankees. If there's some secret formula, Beltran has it.
Bregxit
AG
I don't think it is something Charlie can really pass on to them. It is about investing in analytics. Everyone knows the following:

- Lunhow convinced Crane to invest huge sums of money into high speed cameras and tracking systems at every level of the Astros system to analyze pitchers and pitches from multitudes of angles.
- The Astros break down everything to the most minute detail. Spin, release point, mechanics, grip, pitch effectiveness, etc.
- The Astros culled every coach and scout who didn't buy in 150% at every level and replaced them with those who did.

And on and on and on. It is an organizational philosophy that has been well publicized.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Spin rate was a metric the Astros were already measuring at the time they signed Morton and was the reason they signed him - for cheap. The Astros were ahead of the game on this metric but this is not new information.

Right after the 2017 World Series there was an article somewhere (may have been Sports Illustrated) about the Astros measuring spin rate and how they used it to improve Morton's performance. He already had a naturally high rate and the Astros felt they could manipulate that to increase his performance, which they did.

In the case of Cole, the Astros have had him improve his spin rate but probably more importantly, they sat down with him before the season with a historical breakdown of his pitches and showed him how successful his 4-seamer has been and to go with that much more. Doesn't sound that hard but it's the difference between management with Pittsburgh and Houston. It seems like Strom has taken the analytics the team has provided and really used it to get the most out of his pitching staff.
tjack16
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Guys it's simple...

We heat up the ice cubes

ITS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!
Texaggie7nine
What that video is selling isn't just that the Astros pitching staff is using better methods. It's saying that whatever they know is something small and unknown and that Morton took it with him and passed it on. So Cole would do the same.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Guys it's simple...

We heat up the ice cubes

Someone please Photoshop Boone's face on here.
wangus12
AG
I've returned!

MosesHallRAB04
AG
It's baffling to me that some people on here are suggesting to not use verlander in game 5. You pitch him game 5 100% of the time regardless of what happens on game 4.

Game 5 is his next normal rest start. Pitchers thrive on routine. Verlander has stayed many times how important his routine is. Skipping his start screws up that routine. It would be a horrible decision.

You want to win in as few games as possible. You never sit a stud and roll the dice. Baseball players are very streaky.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
Laser Wolf
Rained out!
TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
Bregxit
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What that video is selling isn't just that the Astros pitching staff is using better methods. It's saying that whatever they know is something small and unknown and that Morton took it with him and passed it on. So Cole would do the same.

That's what I thought you were referring to bit I wasn't sure. I agree. There is no special secret. They're just very very good at picking out rough diamonds and polishing them into gems and they've invested heavily into the tools to accomplish that.
lead
spadilly said:

you do not disappoint
spadilly
S
Is today the first day since the day after the All Star game without any baseball in tv?

It feels...lacking.
safety guy
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

It's baffling to me that some people on here are suggesting to not use verlander in game 5. You pitch him game 5 100% of the time regardless of what happens on game 4.

Game 5 is his next normal rest start. Pitchers thrive on routine. Verlander has stayed many times how important his routine is. Skipping his start screws up that routine. It would be a horrible decision.

You want to win in as few games as possible. You never sit a stud and roll the dice. Baseball players are very streaky.
Unless Verlander was setting up his preparation to be ready on Saturday. But the rain chances were known Monday so he likely was prepared for the chance to pitch Friday.
BMX Bandit
spadilly said:

Is today the first day since the day after the All Star game without any baseball in tv?

Nope. 9/30/19
bearkatag15
AG
Didn't know GOATs wore shirts with wheelbarrows on it

AustinAg2K
Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone watch this?

Do you believe Morton passed on this knowledge to the Ray's and that is why their pitching is so good??

I am sure Strom is a big reason and I'm sure there is technique issues, but I dont think it's something like a easy trick to tell other pitchers and we just know it and the other teams dont.

The problem with this guy's argument is that Greinke's ERA and WHIP actually went up after joining the Astros.
Big Al 1992
AG
Bregxit said:

Texaggie7nine said:

That's what I thought you were referring to bit I wasn't sure. I agree. There is no special secret. They're just very very good at picking out rough diamonds and polishing them into gems and they've invested heavily into the tools to accomplish that.

Go back and read about Aaron Sanchez debut - Astros told him he had 4 pitches and was using each one 35%, 30%, 20%, 15%. The pitch he was using 30% of the time resulted in lowest batting average. The pitch he was using 20% of the time batters had their highest. Change those numbers to 60%, 20%, 10%, and 10% and presto, you improve your pitching stats and get more batters out.
*not exact numbers
First Page Last Page
Page 1506 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.