***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,714,262 Views | 74430 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TexasRebel
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:


hah awesome!

Small request.. start it a second or two earlier showing the catch!
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess we will see who ultimately has the advantage. I'm not sure which team this favors.

But it now means the Astros have to take one more game in New York because Game 6 is a bullpen game. Don't want to have that be the game we are facing elimination.
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is crazy and would send a bad message, so I'm not actually condoning it, but part of me thinks Thursday in NY vs. Tanaka is a very tough game to win anyway. Instead of throwing one of our big three, I almost lean towards getting the bullpen day out of the way and closing the series with our big three.
CrazyRichAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
62strat said:

CrazyRichAggie said:


hah awesome!

Small request.. start it a second or two earlier showing the catch!
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At the end of the day, Game 4 comes down to our offense.

Can you knock Tanaka out early?

I don't care if we score 0 runs on him, but if you can knock him out by the 5th inning, you are in a great position for the remainder of the series as far as their bullpen goes.

The offense needs to smell blood, and take advantage. Hopefully they can battle Tanaka hard and foul off his pitches on the edges. A 20-25 pitch 1st inning on Thursday would be beautiful.
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hulla Baller said:

Philip J Fry said:

Panama Red said:




Dude on the far right is an MLB Network producer. No hidden biases here...
The guy with the sunglasses on (at night)?
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bulldog73 said:

I know this is crazy and would send a bad message, so I'm not actually condoning it, but part of me thinks Thursday in NY vs. Tanaka is a very tough game to win anyway. Instead of throwing one of our big three, I almost lean towards getting the bullpen day out of the way and closing the series with our big three.
It's an interesting idea, but you can't risk losing in 6 and leaving Cole in the chamber.
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

I guess we will see who ultimately has the advantage. I'm not sure which team this favors.

But it now means the Astros have to take one more game in New York because Game 6 is a bullpen game. Don't want to have that be the game we are facing elimination.

If we're playing an elimination game in Game 6, you'd have to imagine Cole comes out on short rest.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Might get some insight here from Matt's interview.
eATMup-Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The guy with his hand under his chin/cheek is hilarious. It's like he knew it was for sh*t the entire way!!
REMtx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would rather the bullpen game be either Game 4 or 5. As mentioned, there maybe a chance Game 6 would be an elimination game.

Have Urquidy/peacock/bullpen game 4. Win that, could either go Verlander for the kill in game 5. Lose game 4, and go Greinke and save Verlander/Cole for the trip back to Houston for 6/7 or the WS.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's how I see this

Postponment benefits NY for GM 4 but for the remainder of the series it's a HUGE advantage for us.

They are not getting any length from their starters and they're wearing out their pen. Having to play 4 games in 4 days is pretty much a nightmare scenario for them.
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My vote is Greinke and Verlander on Thursday and Friday, respectively. If we win one of those games, let game 6 be a bullpen day and Game 7, if needed, be Cole. But I think you try to win it now so that if you do, Cole pitches Game 1 of WS, Verlander for Game 2, and Greinke for Game 3 on the road so that he is batting.
eATMup-Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perhaps they couldn't do it, but I'm somewhat surprised they didn't move the game to start at Noon eastern time today.

I suppose TV ratings would dictate that move was unacceptable.
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

62strat said:

CrazyRichAggie said:


hah awesome!

Small request.. start it a second or two earlier showing the catch!

man I laugh literally every time I see him mouth 'NOOOO!' I can hear how his voice sounds in my head.
1872walker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
REMtx said:

I would rather the bullpen game be either Game 4 or 5. As mentioned, there maybe a chance Game 6 would be an elimination game.

Have Urquidy/peacock/bullpen game 4. Win that, could either go Verlander for the kill in game 5. Lose game 4, and go Greinke and save Verlander/Cole for the trip back to Houston for 6/7 or the WS.


I think it depends on how game 4 goes. I think you have to start Greinke tomorrow. Win game 4 and go up 3-1, you send Verlander and Cole home early to rest. Friday is a house money/Peacock/Urquidy/bullpen game. You win game 5, great, move on. Lose game 5, go home up 3-2 with your two studs pitching at the Juice Box.

Lose game 4 tomorrow with Greinke, you put Verlander on the mound Friday in NY and go from there.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Greinke game 4
Verlander game 5
I'm looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. I'm just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.


H-Town 2017 WS Champions
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Think he got out in front of announcing that to get in their head? Make them feel pressured to have to hit greinke
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:


You'd have to imagine that they're saving Cole for Game 7 unless if we're facing elimination in Game 6.
8T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

Here's how I see this

Postponment benefits NY for GM 4 but for the remainder of the series it's a HUGE advantage for us.

They are not getting any length from their starters and they're wearing out their pen. Having to play 4 games in 4 days is pretty much a nightmare scenario for them.
This is pretty much spot on, but we are still left with how best does Hinch take advantage of those last 3 games.

Edit: And, there is your answer right above this post.
aggie813
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CrazyRichAggie said:

62strat said:

CrazyRichAggie said:


hah awesome!

Small request.. start it a second or two earlier showing the catch!


I want to know what the guy wearing the sunglasses is saying to Reddick
DriftwoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rak1693 said:

bearkatag15 said:


You'd have to imagine that they're saving Cole for Game 7 unless if we're facing elimination in Game 6.

I think they are trying to maximize their chance of winning in 5 and also having their main guys available early for the WS
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:


Hinch just pushed his big pile of chips in the middle of the table. Lose those 2 and he is up against the wall in Game 6.
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rak1693 said:

bearkatag15 said:


You'd have to imagine that they're saving Cole for Game 7 unless if we're facing elimination in Game 6.
Not a chance. You've got to step on the Yankees' neck. AJ would never be forgiven if he tried to get cute and it didn't work out.
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't agree more. It's a good move.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:




This is absolutely the right call no matter what. If we win tomorrow with ZG and are up 3-1, don't mess around. Try to close it out as early as you can. This is in line with AJ's thinking.

If you don't win tomorrow, you pretty much need the win Friday anyway. I'd want to be going back to Houston 3-2 much more than going back to Houston down 2-3. Winning 1 game is easier than having to win 2.

The goal is to win the series. Take your best shots when you can take them.
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like it. Best chance of closing it out in 5 and being setup for the next series.

Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

bearkatag15 said:


Hinch just pushed his big pile of chips in the middle of the table. Lose those 2 and he is up against the wall in Game 6.


You gonna play bullpen games against Tanaka in game 4 instead? Too big of a risk.
agsquirrel97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
REMtx said:

I would rather the bullpen game be either Game 4 or 5. As mentioned, there maybe a chance Game 6 would be an elimination game.

Have Urquidy/peacock/bullpen game 4. Win that, could either go Verlander for the kill in game 5. Lose game 4, and go Greinke and save Verlander/Cole for the trip back to Houston for 6/7 or the WS.
If we can't win G4 or G5 behind Grienke and Verlander, then we have our bullpen vs their bullpen and Cole vs world in 7.


Here are the pros and cons:

Cons:
We cant manage to win G4 or G5 with Grienke and Verlander on the mound, making G6 an elimination game with our BP against their BP.

Pros:

Its Justin F cking Verlander on full rest sitting in your dugout while you trot out a prospect onto Yankee field in the ALCS.

Furthermore, if you save Verlander for G6 and make it to the World Series, are you excited about the prospect of having a bullpen day for Game 2 of the World Series as well as a bullpen day for G6 of WS. the other option would be to pitch Verlander on 3 days rest in Game 2 or Game 6 of the world series, I have watched that movie this year, didn't care for it.


IT IS JUSTIN F CKING VERLANDER, if he is rested and ready to go, he is on the mound.
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is so far easily the right move that any argument against it is just silly.

You don't start Greinke tomorrow and have a Uriquidy/bullpen game when we play four days in a row? Hell no.
8T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mathguy86 said:

bearkatag15 said:


Hinch just pushed his big pile of chips in the middle of the table. Lose those 2 and he is up against the wall in Game 6.
This is not the metaphor for this move. What Hinch did maximizes his options. The pushing chips metaphor suggests that you either win or go home. If the Astros lose with Greinke, they still have JV and Cole to win 2 and advance.
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Game 6 is an elimination game for us, Cole will be the starter and he will go as long as possible.
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nuke LaLoosh said:

This is so far easily the right move that any argument against it is just silly.

You don't start Greinke tomorrow and have a Uriquidy/bullpen game when we play four days in a row? Hell no.


This is also a great point. By starting ZG and JV, you're also hopefully saving your BP in those first to games of a four game stretch. That could end up being huge if it goes beyond those two games.

I just want to knock Tanaka out early so bad. And again like in game 1 - I just want at least from ZG 6 innings of 3 run ball.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

mathguy86 said:

bearkatag15 said:


Hinch just pushed his big pile of chips in the middle of the table. Lose those 2 and he is up against the wall in Game 6.


You gonna play bullpen games against Tanaka in game 4 instead? Too big of a risk.
I have said before that I would have done Greinke tomorrow and the Urkeeding game Friday and hold JV and Cole for the home games. Or at least wait on game 5 decision until after the game 4 answer.