***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,963 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
jetch17 said:

Ag_07 said:

Raise your hand if you're moving slow at work this morning.

But damn it was worth it. Love October baseball

Gig’em Aggies!
bullard21k
AG
Beat40 said:

bullard21k said:

iBrad said:

If we knew he was tipping pitches before the game, why did Bregman have to stop and explain it to Correa?

And I'll guess I'll say it...the fact that they were tipping pitches and once they figured it out...we went basically hitless besides a reddick flair for 7+ innings slightly concerns me.

Offense has got to be significantly better against New York as they are going to score some runs.

Did we miss the Brantley and Altuve HRs in the late innings? Yuli nearly hit another.

This is how everyone's offense is in the playoffs - the pitching is significantly better - we just happened to face possibly the toughest pitching staff outside of our own in the AL. The Yankees were able to beat up on some bad Twins pitching that was masked by the Tigers, White Sox, and Royals.

The Yankees offense is still force to be reckoned with, but you have to remember they have to hit off JV, Cole, and the rest of the staff as well. We're not going to make it easy on them.

Also, the Yankees pitching staff isn't as good as Tampa's. I think the constant switching of arms bothered us as well.

I think we'll hit at home, struggle to hit a bit more on the road.

Nope didn't miss that all and precisely why I said 7 innings and not 8
Bregxit
AG
How our starters and rest days shake out for the ALCS....I could see Uriquidy getting a relief appearance over the weekend to get some work in.

dshedd41
S
Where did you find this?
I love it!
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr President Elect
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Any changes to the roster for the ALCS? I can't envision any unless they want to trade Rondon for Peacock.
We will probably add an extra bp arm by removing a bat as well. Usually want the extra arm for the longer series. Would also not be suprised if Miley doesn't make it, as the Yankee's lineup is brutal against lefties. I think there might have been some hope to get Miley trustworthy by the Dodgers series because they are brutal against righties, but that is no longer a concern.
CoachRTM
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Bregxit said:

bullard21k said:

iBrad said:

If we knew he was tipping pitches before the game, why did Bregman have to stop and explain it to Correa?

And I'll guess I'll say it...the fact that they were tipping pitches and once they figured it out...we went basically hitless besides a reddick flair for 7+ innings slightly concerns me.

Offense has got to be significantly better against New York as they are going to score some runs.
For all the **** talking we do here, Tampa's staff is filthy top to bottom. Add to that the fact that our top four were the only guys to see the same pitcher twice (Glasnow faced 13 batters) and it makes for some very difficult hitting. Like Papi, ARod and Frank said last night, even when you know what's coming it still isn't easy to hit it.

This is accurate. Imagine Tampa next year if they can keep the same core together and have a healthy Snell and Glasnow... they will be a force to be reckoned with.
3 batters faced per reliever is going to hurt them, but I don't disagree with you.

Oh well, they're in the rearview. On to the Yanks
astros4545
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

I feel like if the Astros can pull off a Game 1 win with Greinke on the mound then that is a steal. Greinke can be hit or miss depending on the day, so if you can pull that off and still have Verlander and Cole in the wings for up to 4 more starts if needed, then the Astros should be favorites.

At the same time, if the Astros lose Game 1, then games 2 and 3 are must wins.

Hard to be stealing a game 1 when we will be considerable favorites with Greinke
Farmer1906
AG
I am confident we all Peacock. He's great against righties and we'll want more pitching in a 7 games series.
bearkatag15
AG
Joe Smith should play a pivotal role in the ALCS

Vs. RHB this year
.196/.211/.232/.443
12 Ks
1 BB
0 HRs

Farmer1906
AG
Vs RHH

wOBA
Smith .192 (#4 in baseball)
Sanchez .205 (we could have used him)
Peacock .241
Cole .243
Verlander .247
Armenteros .250 (no shot, right?)
Greinke .261

AL Avg .325
AL Playoff Team Avg .305

The Twins best was Odorizzi at .255 so we are clearly better prepared for this match up.
Beat40
I understand. I'm just saying, you're not going to be able to consistently hit in every inning the postseason with the pitching you face.

Edit for me to say I usually get more concerned with the offense when they are taking bad approaches. It's one thing to not hit, it's another to not hit and look lost.
Canyon99
Ag_07 said:

Last year someone started talking about sweeping the entire postseason after the ALDS and the GM 1 ALCS win.

We proceeded to not win another game.

Reminds me of 2015 against KC watching some dumb ***** with the sign that said ALCS Here We Come! I knew it was over. Don't tempt the baseball gods.
Beat40
ClickClack said:

Understood.

Doesn't mean what I said isn't true.

Enjoy yourself, men!
03_Aggie
bullard21k said:

Just like the Rays coach said when he was asked about it after the game, and how we think when it comes to Cole,...with Glasnows stuff, it is still tough to hit even if you know what's coming.
CoachRTM
AG
We haven't really talked about the Yankees rotation.

This would be if they kept the same as the ALDS...... and obviously things will change during the series, but this looks like the original setup.

Gm 1 - Greinke vs Paxton
Gm 2 - Verlander vs Tanaka
Gm 3 - Cole vs Severino
Gm 4 - Urquidy vs JA Happ + Bullpen (maybe Sabathia makes the ALCS roster?)
Gm 5 - Greinke vs Paxton
Gm 6 - Verlander vs Tanaka
Gm 7 - Cole vs Severino
Ag_07
AG
True but you know baseball gods and all that.

But again I'm the one who won't get up to piss if the team is rolling, makes sure my lawn flag is up if there's a game, and wears the same Stros socks every gameday.
Beat40
CoachRTM said:

We haven't really talked about the Yankees rotation.

This would be if they kept the same as the ALDS. and obviously things will change during the series, but this looks like the original setup.

Gm 1 - Greinke vs Paxton
Gm 2 - Verlander vs Tanaka
Gm 3 - Cole vs Severino
Gm 4 - Urquidy vs JA Happ + Bullpen (maybe Sabathia makes the ALCS roster?)
Gm 5 - Greinke vs Paxton
Gm 6 - Verlander vs Tanaka
Gm 7 - Cole vs Severino

Game 3 has the makings of a great pitching duel.

I do worry about Tanaka. He has given us trouble in the past.

Paxton ended the year pretty strong, didn't he? Guess we just see which Paxton we get.
Ag_07
AG
IIRC we smoke the Yankee version of Paxton.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

True but you know baseball gods and all that.

But again I'm the one who won't get up to piss if the team is rolling, makes sure my lawn flag is up if there's a game, and wears the same Stros socks every gameday.

I get you, brother! I think that's part of the fun of being a fan! There are still little things I do without even realizing it.

Anyway, I was making a mountain out of a mole hill when I needn't have. Let's go crush the Yanks!
Mathguy64
AG
Listening to Mlb radio. NY homer Christopher Russo just said Yankees in 5. I can't stop laughing.
agsquirrel97
AG
mathguy86 said:

Listening to Mlb radio. NY homer Christopher Russo just said Yankees in 5. I can't stop laughing.
As long as Big Papi picks the Yankees, we are golden.
BCSGrubber
AG
If Paxton pitches game 1, does tucker or Reddick get the start? Or could this be a time where you would start Diaz in left?
Tucker has never faced him and Reddick is 0-7, Diaz is 2-3
Frok
AG
No way Miley makes the roster this series.
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

I think it's popular to be down on the Astros right now seeing how our offense struggled against the Rays. It amazes me how much people overlook the effects of good pitching on a lineup. Sleep on this lineup and see what happens. Bashing Correa as the 7 hitter in our lineup... he had 21 homeruns in 70 something games. I think he plays big in this matchup.
JDUB08AG
AG
mathguy86 said:

I can't listen to more than 5 minutes of his screaming
W
AG
saw some stats on ESPN this morning....

Reddick is a career .212 hitter in the postseason with a .559 OPS in 181 plate appearances.

that is not a small sample size.

he has hit .098 in the last 2 ALCS in 45 plate appearances. That is simply atrocious.

it's time to give Jake or Diaz a shot. Or more Tucker
HTownAg98
I can watch this over and over and over.
gigemJTH12
AG
has this been discussed..I was just looking at Grienkes season stats and...

vs. NYY

2.13 ERA
12.2 IP
.163 Opponent BA
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Bashing Correa as the 7 hitter in our lineup... he had 21 homeruns in 70 something games. I think he plays big in this matchup.

Well yeah...He'll see it as tryout and he'll probably maul
Mathguy64
AG
Russo doubled down and claimed Yankees were better hitters 1-9 and better starters and better relievers. Then was shocked when told the line was HOU (-165).
Wabs
AG
mathguy86 said:

Russo doubled down and claimed Yankees were better hitters 1-9 and better starters and better relievers. Then was shocked when told the line was HOU (-165).
Farmer1906
AG
mathguy86 said:

Not even the biggest homer believes that.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm trying to dig and see if the umpiring crews have been announced yet and they haven't. But I discovered a scary thought. Umps are not allowed to work consecutive playoff series. And you know who didn't get a call in the DS? Fat boy and Angel. They are eligible.

Now I'm sick to my stomach thinking about that combination.
WES2006AG
AG
mathguy86 said:

I'm trying to dig and see if the umpiring crews have been announced yet and they haven't. But I discovered a scary thought. Umps are not allowed to work consecutive playoff series. And you know who didn't get a call in the DS? Fat boy and Angel. They are eligible.

Now I'm sick to my stomach thinking about that combination.
Is it that they can't work consecutive series or just the same team two series in a row? If its the former we could get some of the guys from the NLDS series or the other ALDS. But yea, fat Joe is certainly in play here.
Cromagnum
AG
mathguy86 said:

First Page Last Page
Page 1364 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.