***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,141 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Your joking about the getting in trouble part right?
AggiEE
Ags #1 said:

Your joking about the getting in trouble part right?

Nah legit curious

These umps have an insane amount of control, it wouldn't surprise me if he could get punished by the league
bearkatag15
AG
0 chance he gets in trouble for that comment. Much worse has been said before and nothing happens. Worst thing that will happen is the next time Angel is calling a game and Springer is up to bat he doesn't get a call to go his way.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggiEE said:

Lol

Can George get in trouble for that?

He can just say he said "Forging clock shuckers."
Marvin
AG
AggiEE said:

Lol

Can George get in trouble for that?

It's never wrong to tell the truth.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I'm sure Angel will look to repay him at whatever base he's umping tomorrow night. Thankfully, replay review can fix anything he messes up tomorrow night.
Farmer1906
AG
Kind on random, but checking the standings the As are still sitting in 4th and under .500. What a terrible start for a team that was supposed to contend for the WC.
W
AG
speaking of George...he is having an outstanding April. Similar to his phenomenal first half of 2017...except he is drawing more walks and driving in more runs.

giving the front office a lot to think about down the road (re: extension or arbitration)

Farmer1906
AG
He's also K-ing at a high rate. So his ratio of walks to strike outs isn't improving. What he is doing at an elite level is hitting the ball hard AF.
AggiEE
W said:

speaking of George...he is having an outstanding April. Similar to his phenomenal first half of 2017...except he is drawing more walks and driving in more runs.

giving the front office a lot to think about down the road (re: extension or arbitration)

Yes all of our major hitters look really good

Correa is still underperforming a bit, tends to strike out a lot and gets fooled on a lot of pitches. Figured he'd eventually get more selective.
Bonfired
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I have the feeling this will be a frequently recurring gif. I just hope it's not used to insult fellow Astros fans...got to keep the infighting reasonably civil.
agsquirrel97
AG
dlance said:

George: ****ing corksoaker!
Angel: What did you say!?!?
George: Did I ****ing stutter?
I wasn't able to watch live, and I am watching on mute while reading along with the thread.

I legit lol'd hard enough at this to wake up my wife. She didn't think it was near as funny as I did.
AgDoc03
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

dlance said:

George: ****ing corksoaker!
Angel: What did you say!?!?
George: Did I ****ing stutter?
I wasn't able to watch live, and I am watching on mute while reading along with the thread.

I legit lol'd hard enough at this to wake up my wife. She didn't think it was near as funny as I did.

Time to find a lawyer, then
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TREX01
They are 1.5 games out of the wildcard
Marvin
AG
I'm surprised that clip survived the night. Might need to create a Bill Barr version, haha.
Marvin
AG
Kohl Stewart called up to start for the Twins tonight.
LC Wannabe
S
Poor Kohl.

07ag
AG
https://streamable.com/9wpju

Better link
ClickClack
AG
07ag said:

Better link

That's awesome. I was at a work thing last night and couldn't watch - what happened? Other than Angel missing yet another call.
gougler08
AG
Yeah I missed it too...link to the blown call?
Teddy Perkins
AG
07ag said:

Better link
Kalas!

Deluxe
AG
We need more of that Tormund GIF around here
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

Harry Dunne said:

All of you saying White is a problem offensively are reverting to the eyeballing days & not looking at the numbers.

Yes he's fat and offensive to look at and is a below average defensive 1b, in so small part because of his huge gut... but he is solid offensively and he's on par with Gattis as the best DH we have had.

Bull***** Seriously.

Right now White is slashing .257/.395/.314. In 35 ABs he has 9 hits and 13 Ks. He's scored 1 run and driven in a grand total of 0. Let that sink in. He's a DH whose only job is to hit and he can't get on base and can't drive in the guys in front of him who are getting in. And don't tell me RBI isn't a real stat because it depends on guys in front of you being on base. He hits behind everyone from Springer to Reddick and all of those guys are on base.

Nelson Cruz (Who Lunhow passed on) is at .315/.439/.556 with 3HR, 10 runs and 13 RBI.

Yes we make fun of White being fat. But you know what? He deserves it. His extra weight is not being carried well. His bat looks slow and his feet defensively are like lead bricks. He's out of shape and it's hurting him and by extension the team. If I'm Lunhow and Hinch I'm infuriated with his lack of professionalism in the off season and even worse his lack of ability to drop the weight in spring training.

As mathguy, you should know that the problem with forming opinions based on small samples is that they can change overnight. One day he's batting .212. Two games later he has reached safely 7 PAs in a row and is hitting .297 with a .435 OBP.

Sure RBIs are a "real stat", but they are a stat based on opportunities, and he's only had 11 ABs with RISP. He has obviously not done well so far, but if you're going to throw stones after 11 ABs then let's go ahead and also start promoting him to break DiMaggio's (and Eusebio's!) hit streak. And of course I'd love to have Nelson Cruz but the main statistic you are forgetting is salary:

Cruz: $14M
White: $582K

We have an .868 OPS at DH, 5th in the AL. We can make a move later if necessary,
Deluxe
AG
If you could back in time and do the Tucker for Realmuto trade knowing everything you know now, would you?

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

If you could back in time and do the Tucker for Realmuto trade knowing everything you know now, would you?

Why would anyone? Based on this season we have a much better hitting catcher in the line up everyday that's cheap and didn't cost a prospect.
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

Hell yes. I like Chirinos, but Realmuto is better and cheap this year and the next.

It might be a few years before we know if it would have been a good trade for us and I hope that 3 years from now Tucker is an All-Star while Realmuto is in the twilight of his days as a productive catcher...but my personal opinion is that Tucker will probably be a productive major leaguer but not someone we are ever devastated to have traded (like a Kenny Lofton or Bobby Abreu)
Deluxe
AG
OPS+ so far in 2019. It's pretty amazing that Yuli is our 11th best hitter.

1. Bregman 158
2. Springer 153
3. Altuve 150
4. Reddick 142
5. Correa 128
6. Brantley 127
7. Chirinios 125
8. Marisnick 122
9. White 117
10. Diaz 99
11. Gurriel 98
redline248
AG
I'm a bit of an analytics noob...is OPS+ kind of like QBR?
Deluxe
AG
redline248 said:

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/advanced-stats/on-base-plus-slugging-plus

That's a decent primer. It's basically your OPS normalized across the entire league, taking into account things like ballpark dimensions. Farmer1906 is more versed on the advanced stats than most of us, so he might be able to provide better info.

I just know that 100 is league average, so Bregman at 158 is 58% better than league average and Yuli at 98 is 2% worse than league average. We have alot of guys who are materially better than league average right now.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

Kind on random, but checking the standings the As are still sitting in 4th and under .500. What a terrible start for a team that was supposed to contend for the WC.
the A's are sitting at .500 and only 3 games back of the division lead...I wouldn't exactly call that a "terrible start". They are far from being out of it.

I would call the Angels a terrible start though
DVC2010
AG
Deluxe said:

redline248 said:

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/advanced-stats/on-base-plus-slugging-plus

That's a decent primer. It's basically your OPS normalized across the entire league, taking into account things like ballpark dimensions. Farmer1906 is more versed on the advanced stats than most of us, so he might be able to provide better info.

I just know that 100 is league average, so Bregman at 158 is 58% better than league average and Yuli at 98 is 2% worse than league average. We have alot of guys who are materially better than league average right now.

This is the important bit right here. It tells you how good a guy is in the league, which is a lot more meaningful that an absolute OPS because the run environment (that is, how easy it is to score) changes season-to-season.

OPS is just On Base Percentage plus Slugging Percentage. It's a crude attempt at a definitive offensive metric; it turns out that one point of OBP is a good deal more valuable than one point of slugging, but OPS (and therefore OPS+) weigh them the same. Still, it tells you a lot more than either number on their own, and it's leaps beyond using batting average to evaluate a hitter.
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

We still don't think we know anymore than we did back then.

Realmuto is a solid offensive catcher and Tucker at the ML level is an unknown.
Harry Dunne
That's true, but would you make the trade?
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

Hell yes. I like Chirinos, but Realmuto is better and cheap this year and the next.

It might be a few years before we know if it would have been a good trade for us and I hope that 3 years from now Tucker is an All-Star while Realmuto is in the twilight of his days as a productive catcher...but my personal opinion is that Tucker will probably be a productive major leaguer but not someone we are ever devastated to have traded (like a Kenny Lofton or Bobby Abreu)

How has that changed? Chirinos has been clearly better than Realmuto this year. Right now Realmuto is an average hitter. He'd be one of the worst in our line up.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

How has that changed? Chirinos has been clearly better than Realmuto this year. Right now Realmuto is an average hitter. He'd be one of the worst in our line up.
You guys are smart baseball fans and especially those of you so into advanced analytics, you've got to stop making judgments based on 60 or 70 ABs! Chirinos has had a slightly better start to the season, but based on their ages and careers, it would be shocking if Realmuto was not the significantly better catcher over the next couple of years.

Chirinos is almost 35 and has been a platoon guy his whole career. Last year he played in a career-high 113 games. He's a .223 career hitter (1202 PAs - enough to show something) against RHP. Realmuto just turned 28 and is one of the best offensive catchers in baseball and very good defensively. He has been called the best baserunning catcher EVER.

I like Chirinos and think he was a great pickup, but let's be real.
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.