***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,037 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I'm here for any and all ball conspiracies.

I think it's just the fact that no two baseballs can be produced the same, you keep a ball with seemingly higher seems, and toss ones that feel too smooth
JABQ04
AG
I'm pumped for Game 5. I like our shot with a rested Cole, and a lineup who feels like they have to prove something now. We were against the fence in 2017 numerous times. The Astros have this.
DVC2010
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Who cares about 1999? In 2019, American League home teams are 6-1!
Deluxe
AG
astros4545 said:

bobinator said:

I'm here for any and all ball conspiracies.

I think it's just the fact that no two baseballs can be produced the same, you keep a ball with seemingly higher seems, and toss ones that feel too smooth
It seems no different than a tennis player tossing a ball he doesn't like back to the ball boy when he's about to serve
astros4545
AG
Cromagnum
AG
rgt99 said:

I think the Astros will be a different team tomorrow night, due to the fact that it is a "lose or go home" game. I think this team likes the pressure, and performs better when there is a do or die situation. This team is not intimidated by anyone. Game 5 at home, with our best pitcher, i like those odds.

They sure were intimidated by the crowd in Florida the last two days.
Cromagnum
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I just read an article on The Athletic by Jayson Stark and JV was quoted at the end. The quote kind of got me fired up.

Quote:

"Hopefully, this isn't the defining moment of our journey," Verlander said. "You hope not There are so many defining moments in a championship run that need to happen, where you need to prove whatever. From the second you start the playoffs, every pitch, every out is a defining moment. It's just the whole world's eyes and attention are on you in a win-or-go-home game.

"So like I said, it's one of those atmospheres and one of those moments where you show up and hey, this is where we test ourselves. They're testing us. So we need to show up, and we need to show who we are. And if we don't, we won't win. But I like our chances. This is a hell of a freaking ballclub. And I'd go to war with these guys against anybody. So we'll see what happens."

Ag12thman
AG
dshedd14 said:

I think we are really missing this guy, too. He was a huge spark plug.
tjack16
AG
Ag12thman said:

dshedd14 said:

I think we are really missing this guy, too. He was a huge spark plug.
he would have started last night or game 3 for sure
Charlie Conway
astros4545 said:

Verlander has thrown out new balls a lot this season, and 99% of the time he's gotten a 2nd new ball he's thrown a slider next pitch.
Deluxe
AG
Seems like an odd time for Rob Friedman to notice JV and Cole throwing back baseballs. Wonder who's feeding him info.
spadilly
S
agdaddy04
AG
Jimbos Cow said:

I'll say this, in 2017 the Astros were up against 2 must wins against the Yankees, and 2 must wins against the Dodgers, and came through. Let's hope they pull out all the stops tomorrow

When did we face two must wins against the Dodgers?
n_touch
Keep in mind someone said something on the broadcast about spin rate and the difference there. It was even bothering CFM. That could have played into all our pitchers being a little flat.
Agnzona
This game will be won our lost on our hitters.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
tjack16
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Jimbos Cow said:

I'll say this, in 2017 the Astros were up against 2 must wins against the Yankees, and 2 must wins against the Dodgers, and came through. Let's hope they pull out all the stops tomorrow

game 2 was pretty much a must win in my mind. Going down 2-0 at the time was almost insurmountable because our offense hadn't shown up for the first 17 innings of that series.
JDUB08AG
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Jimbos Cow said:

Game 5 certainly felt like a must win knowing we were going back to LA, but get your point.
ClickClack
AG
We could really use Joe Biagini right now
Ag_07
AG
ClickClack said:

Yeah...For comic relief.

That's about all he brings to table and even that's a stretch.
ClickClack
AG
Ag_07 said:

ClickClack said:

Yeah...For comic relief.

That's about all he brings to table and even that's a stretch.

Exactly. We need to loosen up.
Mathguy64
AG
We need some rally Kate. Lots of rally Kate to get the bats hot and ready.
Mathguy64
AG
Mathguy64
AG
agcat
AG
If the bats don't wake up, Cole or no Cole, we're one hanging slider from being out of the playoffs.

That's pretty much the size of things tomorrow night.
irish pete ag06
AG
Man the baseball playoffs are just so crap shooty. The only thing you can build a team to do guaranteed is make the tournament. Once you are in, the sample size is so small.

That being said. We are going to win.

MMP is not the Trop.
aTm2004
AG
Deluxe
AG
I've been trying to wear my "long term perspective" cap over the past few days, as it seemed clear even after game 2 that the Rays were not going down without a fight. There was something about the way Cash talked about the team after G1 and G2 that almost indicated he knew something that we all didn't. Kudos to them for fighting hard and playing some good ball the last two nights.

But from a long term perspective, I suspect this Astros era will go down similarly to the Cardinals Luhnow era. There were a few great Cardinals teams in that era that lost in the playoffs. Then there was the 2006 team that barely backed into the playoffs with 83 wins and won the World Series. Like a previous poster said, just get into the tournament and see what happens. Kinda like a lottery ticket.

The most difficult playoff runs for fans tend to be like the one we're having right now. When you know in your gut that the Astros may never have a better team on paper than this one, but some pretty damn good teams are going to embrace the underdog role and give their best punchers shot. The truly elite teams from a long term perspective are the ones that can consistently withstand that (see: Yankees 1996-2000).

Will this era of Astros baseball be considered elite when viewed from the long term perspective? We'll see. But one thing I know for sure is I'm damn happy we have the 2017 title in our back pocket. Gives us a little bit of house money to play with because "it just wasn't our year... we'll get em next year" gets a little old when your team is in a title drought (see: Texas A&M football fandom). It was only two years ago that alot of things fell into place for us to win two seven game showdowns against two very good teams and lift the crown. Hopefully it happens again (and again, and again, etc) but no guarantees in baseball.

I think we're going to win tomorrow, but even if we lose, it was a hell of a season. We gave ourselves the best chance we could. Sometimes it's just not in the cards. But I think we will have plenty more chances in the next 5-7 years. Will I be surprised if we don't win it all this year? Not really. Will I be surprised if we don't win 1-2 more in the next 5-7 years? Yes.
aTm2004
AG
irish pete ag06
AG
Deluxe said:

But one thing I know for sure is I'm damn happy we have the 2017 title in our back pocket. Gives us a little bit of house money to play with because "it just wasn't our year... we'll get em next year
So much this.

I've always been even keeled as a fan (I think since I coach sports it desensitized me to the emotions of sports a little).

I still care and watch just as much Astros, but I don't feel that raw sick to your stomach feeling that I felt going in to game 7 of the ALCS in 2017. I went to that game and the whole day my stomach was in knots. I sports cried and hugged 100 strangers in my standing room only spot after that game.

I'll still be elated or deflated based on the results, but like he said... house money!
Frok
AG
The despair and panic going on right now is all part of the sports fan experience. It's what makes winning so sweet.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So I had to watch the first 2.5 hrs on my phone last night and therefore wasnt on here.....I just finished skimming ......and watching for quality TOFA, and I just have to say... THANK GOD I DIDNT HAVE TO READ THROUGH ALL THAT IN REAL TIME!

As for now, time for put up of shut up....Take It Back!
bearkatag15
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Growing up on 1970s and 1980s Houston sports, I died a thousand deaths with the 78-80 Oilers, 80 and 86 Astros and 81 and 86 Rockets. I would have given away all my Transformers and Kenner Star Wars toys just to have gotten the 86 Astros to Game 7 with Mike Scott on the mound.

12-1/2 years a sportswriter in my 20s and 30s taught me one essential truth, every season in every league in every sport, everyone but one team has a lousy end to their season - even some of the best teams you've ever seen.

The Astros won all those games in the regular season to get to this spot - having the deciding game of a series at home with a pitcher who hasn't lost since May on the mound. If they win, we all likely have forgotten about this series in a week and move on to hating the Yankees a bit more than normal. If they lose we tip our hat to Tampa and say damn, you just took on our 2 best pitchers and beat them both. Now go kill the Yankees.

The playoffs are hard, even your Patriots and Warriors and all the other dynasties that have made it look easy have their struggles and their near misses. Now it's just one game. Let's hope it's our game on Thursday.
Prosperdick
AG
The second guessing on Charlie needs to stop too. First of all, we have no idea how he will pitch in years 2 and 3 of that contract and a LOT can change.

If he continues to pitch like he did this year you have to tip your cap to Tampa for taking the risk that we weren't prepared to take. We have an analytics driven approach and we need to stop the emotional arguments but as fans that's easier said than done.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

If that were the case there is no reason to not offer a long term contract and lock him up for probably less than that firs 5-6 years...no way we pay him 21 mil for a single year
First Page Last Page
Page 1309 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.