***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,665 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right up there with oilers/bills if they lose
Philip J Fry
AG
This post season is all on Miley and his sudden implosion.
Philip J Fry
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

As bad as a loss would be it won't compare to Oilers/Bills

Correct. It will be worse. It'll be compared with the 116 win Mariners.

2 CY Young Candidates+ROY+legit MVP Candidate= 2 post season wins.

Are you kidding me?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
The last time I attended a game 5 I spent 2.5 innings in the shltter and singlehandedly won us the World Series.

I'll be there on Thursday and I'm fully prepared to do whatever it takes.
Big Al 1992
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

The last time I attended a game 5 I spent 2.5 innings in the shltter and singlehandedly won us the World Series.

I'll bring you the beer.
Big Al 1992
AG
We fought for home field advantage for games like this. Springer will start it off right. Brantley will get a couple hits. Altuve and Bregs will do MVP things and Yordan will end his home run drought. Let's gooooo!!!!!
Hi, Im Brett
AG
That game had a weird feeling before it even started. Starting JV let a little doubt sneak into the back of everyone's heads and then it snowballed after the first homer.

I understand why he did it, but I still would have preferred him in the bullpen.
Ag12thman
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I think it's a bit much to blame him totally, but his implosion is a major factor. The guy seems to have gone mental.
mazag08
AG
It's up to the bats.

Put 6 runs up like we SHOULD do every night with calm, patient, and smart plate approaches.. not trying to jack every pitch over the wall, and the pitching doesn't even matter.
Gap
AG
The Oilers (10-6) and Bills (11-5) were 2 wildcard teams. Lets not even go there.

The Astros were the best team in MLB this season winning 107 games.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ag12thman said:

Philip J Fry said:

I think it's a bit much to blame him totally, but his implosion is a major factor. The guy seems to have gone mental.

If we had a reliable 4th starter, we would have Verlander and Cole available for game 5. I still think starting Verlander on short rest was a terrible decision. That play hardly ever works in this day and age.
ccaggie05
AG
I was pretty concerned about starting JV on short rest, but it's all a moot point with the bats being completely cold right now. That's my biggest fear going into Game 5, that Cole gets little to no run support.
n_touch
He gave up 4. I would say that it was successful. The loss was just as much on the bats and not doing anything as it was on his performance.
Gig-Em2003
AG
2017 ALCS Runs scored

Been here before. We snapped out of it when we went back home in an elimination game. Have to do it again on Thursday!
Jackal99
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Might I recommend the nachos. The more crap on them the better.
Ag_07
AG
At the end of the day besides the 3 run 1st JV and pen did pretty damn good.

Bats were just absolutely shut down.

Is there anyway you don't believe having to play in that dump of a stadium has anything to do with it? We always disappear when playing there. It's not even the Ray's. The offense sucked when playing Texas there after Harvey.
cablinaggie
AG
Well we played all year for HFA. I just know that if we make it to the ALCS with the way we play in Yankee Stadium, I might die of a heart attack before Game 7.

W
AG
what's humbling...the Rays have outscored the Astros 17-13 in the series...

and when you think about how close the Astros came to blowing game 2...they have been outplayed by Tampa thru 4 games. Was not expecting that
AggiEE
Philip J Fry said:

You can only blame Miley for one loss, and forcing Verlander to start instead of him today ended up being a winnable game. You can't expect to have a complete shutout every time Cole or Verlander pitch.

I blame our hitting more than anything for tonight. How many times are we going to see the same guys from the Rays? They're good, but they're not so good that they've made the Astros look foolish for two straight games.

Really hoping there's just something about them playing in Tropicana...we've been awful there. I hate that it's come to 1 game, but I don't think there's another pitcher I'd rather have in elimination this year than Cole.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
While we were the best team in the regular the losing streaks prepared me for the coldness. I still think we got it
W
AG
one small concern for Game 5...

the Rays have seen Will Harris 3 times already in the series and they will likely see him again. Harris has been great, but that's a lot of looks against the same reliever in a very short span
mazag08
AG
Our fans better bring it. None of this sitting and watching until something good happens crap. It better be loud as **** starting 30 minutes before the game and never ending.
agsquirrel97
AG
W said:

one small concern for Game 5...

the Rays have seen Will Harris 3 times already in the series and they will likely see him again. Harris has been great, but that's a lot of looks against the same reliever in a very short span
he has faced 8 batters. 1 guy has seen him twice and 6 guys have seen him once. I don't put as much stock in that.

Everyone has seen Cole at least 3 times. Yes, Cole does Cole things, but that is still a lot of looks in 5 days if he can get back through the lineup 3 times on Thursday.

It just comes down to the bats. We are not going to shut them out so 1 or 2 runs doesn't cut it.
crowman2010
AG

92Ag95
AG
Canyon99
Ag_07 said:

Is there anyway you don't believe having to play in that dump of a stadium has anything to do with it? We always disappear when playing there. It's not even the Ray's. The offense sucked when playing Texas there after Harvey.

Great point and most knew this was going to be a tough series with our prior games against TB.
Deluxe
AG
mazag08 said:

Our fans better bring it. None of this sitting and watching until something good happens crap. It better be loud as **** starting 30 minutes before the game and never ending.

It won't be. Our fans are reactive.
crowman2010
AG
Deluxe said:

mazag08 said:

It won't be. Our fans are reactive.
100% accurate...and I hate it
Aggie95
AG
Home teams are 56-58 in winner take all games in MLB playoff history.
Wabs
AG
Stating the obvious here, but our bats have really failed us this series (give credit to TB's pitching). Throughout the regular season we were not nearly as good as we should have been at clutch hitting, and doing the smaller things (like moving runners over). It was frustrating how many LOB we had. We relied heavily on the long ball. That approach is failing us now - case in point - look at Bregman's ABs last night. He's trying to launch everything out of the park. Result? Lazy fly balls.

I'm of course hoping for the best in G5, and hoping our HFA works for us. But TB has all the momentum right now and they have Glasnow and Snell ready to match Cole pitch for pitch. The only way to swing the momentum is for our bats to come alive.
CFTXAG10
AG
I'd like to see something like this for Game 5:
Springer
Bregman
Altuve
Yordan
Yuli
Brantley
Correa
Maldonado
Reddick
Shenaniganz
My question is, IF the Stros win game 5 tomorrow, who start game 1 of the ALCS? Greinke?
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

I actually disagree with this. Top to bottom, I think it was actually our best hitting performance. It was definitely second best if not first.

Springer two oppo singles.

Brantley hit it hard his last two times.

Altuve alvarez and Bregman had bad at bats but all had good hits.

Yuli crushed the last pitch.

Chirinos homer.

I dont think it was great, but overall it just felt like we made more consitent contact top to bottom than we have all series. After the 8th and 9th, I am much more confident the bats are on the upswing and ready to explode. Had we not had those two innings I would be freakin out right now.

Also, we put some good bats on Glasnow in Game 1. Just went right to people. I am not counting out us rocking him early.
Ag_07
AG
Jimbos Cow said:

My question is, IF the Stros win game 5 tomorrow, who start game 1 of the ALCS? Greinke?

Yes. Which I don't see as all that bad. He's gonna pitch in 1 of the first 3 regardless and I honestly like him at home instead of at Yankee stadium. He doesn't like Yankee Stadium and the big bright lights. Get him in a game at home in the confines of MMP.

But first lets get there. This offense has got to produce or doesn't matter who's pitching. The Rays have really thrown them for a loop.

I said all along I didn't like this matchup because the Rays could beat us at our own game. Use analytics, matchups, shifts, etc against us and look what's happening.

I worry about tomorrow because that will continue. They'll throw Glasnow for 3 innings then come with Snell and not let our guys see either one of them a second time. We have to adjust and jump on them early since we won't get a second chance at either one of them.
gigemJTH12
AG
agree about Greinke. Dont want him at Yankee stadium. Plus I think Yanks are throwing Happ game 1. If we win Thursday this could all end up being a blessing in disguise if Greinke wins game 1. up 1-0 with 35 and 45 coming up next is the absolute best case scenario.

But yeah, we need to win this game Thursday.
First Page Last Page
Page 1306 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.